Seasoning is done and the Butts are on!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
I seasoned the new smoker yesterday and prepped 3, 8+# pork butts. Put the butts on the counter to warm up to room temp at 5:00 AM. Got the smoker up to temp and the butts on by 8:00 AM. Internal temp on the one closest to the fire is at 163 F. When it hits 198 F I'll pull it, wrap it in foil and let it rest. I'll pull the other two as they reach temp. As I figured, the thermometer that came with the smoker is way off.:(

On a side note, Karen has a 3.5# pork belly in the oven for another meal. It came skin on, so she took the skin off and it is being prepped for chicharones.

The butt I pulled off first. Pulled and excess fat removed. The pit worked great. just needs a little tweaking.;)

36788-albums318-picture5956.jpg

Thanks folks. The other two butts are foiled, bagged and on ice.

I seasoned the new smoker yesterday and prepped 3, 8+# pork butts. Put the butts on the counter to warm up to room temp at 5:00 AM. Got the smoker up to temp and the butts on by 8:00 AM. Internal temp on the one closest to the fire is at 163 F. When it hits 198 F I'll pull it, wrap it in foil and let it rest. I'll pull the other two as they reach temp. As I figured, the thermometer that came with the smoker is way off.:(

On a side note, Karen has a 3.5# pork belly in the oven for another meal. It came skin on, so she took the skin off and it is being prepped for chicharones.

Niiiiiiiiiiiice! I think it's funny they call the shoulder the butt. Somebody was a little mixed up on anatomy, I guess, lol!

And, of course, what sort of sauce do you prefer? My daughter made home-cooked Carolina "mopping sauce" which is a vinegar/mustard/brown sugar base. When it's simmering on the stove it STINKS up the house and half the outside it is so intense in aroma. But when it is dressed over pork barbecue there is nothing that can touch it for flavor.

And, of course, what sort of sauce do you prefer? My daughter made home-cooked Carolina "mopping sauce" which is a vinegar/mustard/brown sugar base. When it's simmering on the stove it STINKS up the house and half the outside it is so intense in aroma. But when it is dressed over pork barbecue there is nothing that can touch it for flavor.

Tom Jenkin's Hot. Local place that sells their sauce to Publix Grocery chain.

Okay, How much wood did it take?

The logs I have are about 18" long and 6" to 8" in diameter. I split them in about 6 pieces length wise and then cut them in 1/2, so the splits are about 9" long. The cook took 8 hrs and I used about 1-1/2 logs.

The logs I have are about 18" long and 6" to 8" in diameter. I split them in about 6 pieces length wise and then cut them in 1/2, so the splits are about 9" long. The cook took 8 hrs and I used about 1-1/2 logs.

Sounds efficient compared to mine that would have uses as much wood as i could feed it.

Sounds efficient compared to mine that would have uses as much wood as i could feed it.

The thickness of the steel and minimum leakage makes all the difference. Nice thin blue smoke or none at all. If you have ever watched BBQ U with all those cookers billowing white smoke, that is exactly what you don't want. Soaking wood chips or chunks will deliver that acrid, nasty white smoke.:(

The thickness of the steel and minimum leakage makes all the difference. Nice thin blue smoke or none at all. If you have ever watched BBQ U with all those cookers billowing white smoke, that is exactly what you don't want. Soaking wood chips or chunks will deliver that acrid, nasty white smoke.:(

Yep. My thought is less smoke is better than more smoke.

Back
Top Bottom