Seeking Unconventional Cooking Methods...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But several people have in the last few days.

And I'll continue the interest. :rolleyes:

If someone can figure a way to cook food in an unconventional way I'm interested in it. :yum:

Eating is survival and if we can make a palatable meal under difficult circumstances it's knowledge that's good to know.

During a prolonged power outage I once cooked a few burgers with a propane torch.

They turned out really good. You just have to remember not to burn the outside beyond belief before the inside is done.

The veggies I tried didn't turn out as well but the power came back before I had the need to experiment more.

Thinner slices may be the key but I'll have to wait for the power to go out for a week or more to find out. ;)

And I'll continue the interest. :rolleyes:

If someone can figure a way to cook food in an unconventional way I'm interested in it. :yum:

Eating is survival and if we can make a palatable meal under difficult circumstances it's knowledge that's good to know.

During a prolonged power outage I once cooked a few burgers with a propane torch.

They turned out really good. You just have to remember not to burn the outside beyond belief before the inside is done.

The veggies I tried didn't turn out as well but the power came back before I had the need to experiment more.

Thinner slices may be the key but I'll have to wait for the power to go out for a week or more to find out. ;)

If you rigged the torch up to heat a CI pan, you could have cooked the burgers and vegis in it. ;)

We have a gas stove, a generator and a gas grill with a side burner. When bad weather threatens, we make sure we have at least one extra propane tank and we're good to go.

We have a gas stove, a generator and a gas grill with a side burner. When bad weather threatens, we make sure we have at least one extra propane tank and we're good to go.

You will find that most folks here in S. Florida have those items as well. Not so sure about Montreal. Point being, you improvise with what you have.;)

When my husband and I were able to camp out for entire summers in Wyoming or Montana I learned how to cook dinner and bake bread by digging a hole in the ground and building a fire in it. I would cook stews in it, a whole chicken or bread in it, go off fishing the entire day and come back to a hot meal.

I used a cast iron dutch oven that had a lid with a rim around it to keep hot embers on it so there would be heat from the top also.

After putting the dutch oven in the hole I would fill the hole up with dirt. That was it! It never over- cooked or under-cooked the meal, like magic. And the bread it made was to die for!

DO NOT TRY THAT NOW-------- for I'm sure there are many rules against it now. But that was decades ago when we camped in national forests and not in camp grounds.

An old Basque sheep herder taught me that. When he and his large flock were ''in the neighborhood" he would swing by for coffee and company

Where do you store the extra propane tank?

Hopefully everyone in the potential path of a hurricane does.
By the time a hurricane gets to Montreal, it's just a lot of rain and some curved clouds, maybe a bit of wind.

. Point being, you improvise with what you have.;)

Ain't that the truth. ;)

Rigging up a way to use a CI pan is a good idea.

But at the time it most likely would have used up more propane then I had.

Not to mention I'm a lazy SOB and the effort didn't seem worth it at the time.

Live and learn.

Eat well my friends. Tomorrow is another day. :chef:

Where do you store the extra propane tank?

It's usually in the shed at the back of our property, along with the generator, but when bad weather is forecast, DH will bring it into the sunroom in the back of the house. It's not actually part of the house; it's an enclosed deck. He also sets up the generator behind the house.

By the time a hurricane gets to Montreal, it's just a lot of rain and some curved clouds, maybe a bit of wind.

And it's probably classified as a tropical storm, if that. Very big difference.

It's usually in the shed at the back of our property, along with the generator, but when bad weather is forecast, DH will bring it into the sunroom in the back of the house. It's not actually part of the house; it's an enclosed deck. He also sets up the generator behind the house.

I was wondering because I would like to have a second propane tank, but I don't have anywhere to store them except in the house. :ermm:

And it's probably classified as a tropical storm, if that. Very big difference.
I don't think they even rate being called a tropical storm, but they are the tail ends of named hurricanes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom