Senior Male now cooking...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HomeCook58

Assistant Cook
HI
Just joined tonight. I am a senior Citizen, retired Air Force, having to cook since wife losing mind to alzheimers. She lost my camera today.. Anyway... hoping to pick up some tips for easy meals low in fat... :yum:

Welcome to DC :) I'm sorry to hear about your wife. That must be very difficult.

Poke around the forums and ask any questions you might have. We're happy to help.

Welcome !!

So sorry to hear about your wife.

You will find this place to be extremely informative, highly entertaining and it has a way of being really good therapy for our daily woes.

Take a look around - warning .. that could take a while !

If you have questions, just ask. There are so many people here with incredible knowlege and they are more than willing to share and help.

Glad you found us !!

Welcome to DC. I am sure your camera will show up sooner or later. I attend Day Care once a month. Most of the patients have Alzheimner's also. I get to see it first hand. We also have a married couple, both of them with this hideous disease.

DC has a lot to offer. Just ask and there is always someone with an answer for you. :angel:

Do you have Trader Joe's markets? They have plenty of delicious microwave meals that are unfortunately too big for singles like me, but just the perfect size for couples, particularly senior couples who probably want less food than active, young adults.

Welcome to DC, I just happen to work with Seniors and those with Alzheimer's. Holler on PM for a chat anytime you're losing your patience.

hello hc, and welcome to the foodie forum.:) so sorry about your wife's illness. my mom had alzheimers. nothing better than a delicious smelling soup or stew simmering stovetop in the wintertime. tasty and healthy good eating. a rewarding kind of cooking for one who is learning. soups and stews are easy to reheat, store well, and make great anytime mini-meals.
is photography a hobby fo you hc?

Glad you made it to DC Home cook. :chef:

The folks here are wonderful.

Cooking is fixing what you like and how you like it. No sense spending time making something you won't eat.

Read and enjoy. If you want easy I think the "Weird Meals" thread has a lot of potential for that. ;)

A heat source and what you put on it are the basics.

Sometimes a heat source isn't needed.

What you get as a finished product is only limited by how much effort you want to put into it.

Get to know leftovers if your looking for easy. They can be one of your best friends.

Enjoy. :)

Hi there,
Welcome. Ok, here you go, we know that just because you want 'easy' doesn't mean 'boring' so maybe when you have a couple of ingredients that you want to use then ask for some easy ideas and between us all you will get an inspiring selection.

The biggest problem I have right now is the Kitchen.. The dishwasher isn't getting the dishes clean and the pots come out with white film on them. I figured out that the non-stick coating isn't meant for the DW... Have done the cleaning routine of the DW and it has helped. Found out that Phosphate no longer used in cleaning products. That really sucks.. Something that works then ruined because of a bureaucratic decision. Oh Well.. Thanks to all who have responded or will.. Looking for all the good stuff...

Go to the hardware store and buy some Tri Sodium Phosphate.

Put a tablespoon in with the detergent.

For now there is a way around the bureaucrats.

I had the same problem with our dishwasher. What really helps is a product called Lemishine powder. Our dear departed friend and DC member Timothy told me about it, and it really works. You put it in the cup next to where you put the soap. You can find it at Walmart and some grocery stores.

Last edited:
Phosphates are a fertilizer that cause algae blooms, dead zones in waterways and dead fish and seafood. Really not a good idea to use them.

HI
Just joined tonight. I am a senior Citizen, retired Air Force, having to cook since wife losing mind to alzheimers. She lost my camera today.. Anyway... hoping to pick up some tips for easy meals low in fat... :yum:
Welcome to DC! What I've found is liquid Cascade + plain white vinegar in the "rinse" cup helps cut the white film.

I'm sorry to hear that your wife has Alzheimer's. My mom has vascular dementia and my father has had to take over the cooking, etc. He does have some help (with cleaning once a week), but not cooking--yet. My mom also has misplaced jewelry (filed and insurance claim and then the jewelery reappeared--filed away in the junk drawer). If you or your wife have any jewelry of value (or other things), put it in the safe deposit box or disperse it to your children now. Here's what we have got our Dad doing (my brother and I live 1500 km from there). (1) Picking up restaurant sides and mains on sr. day. Only enough for one meal + leftovers for lunch. (2) Making those foods my mom remembers from her childhood -- meatloaf, scalloped potatoes, etc. (3) Picking up things from the deli / ready to go meals section at the grocery store. We looked into having help come in to help cook, but figured getting meals to go from a restaurant was easier and less expensive. My mom doesn't wander, so she can be left home alone for an hour or so. My dad does lock her in to be on the safe side and usually puts her to bed for a nap (she loves to nap) before he leaves.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom