Serving Question ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I am smoking two butts for my brother-in-law tomorrow.(Friday) They will come off the pit sometime tomorrow evening. He is wanting to take them to Churcch for pot luck dinner on Sunday.

I need to know the best way to handle this. I don't see the need to freeze the butts since there is only going to be one day of fridge time.

Should I go ahead and pull tomorrow or pull after reheating on Sunday ?

What temps do they need to be at for serving?

If pulled ahead of time they will have to be reheated in the warming ovens in the kitchen at Church. I don't have a serving pan that uses a sterno. Is that something that I need to consider?

Thanks in advance for thoughts. ;)

Cliff H. said:
I am smoking two butts for my brother-in-law tomorrow.(Friday) They will come off the pit sometime tomorrow evening. He is wanting to take them to Churcch for pot luck dinner on Sunday.

I need to know the best way to handle this. I don't see the need to freeze the butts since there is only going to be one day of fridge time.

If pulled ahead of time they will have to be reheated in the warming ovens in the kitchen at Church. I don't have a serving pan that uses a sterno. Is that something that I need to consider?

Never work for family :LOL: , but since you did... pull, put in foodsaver-bag and reheat in the church kitchen in near boiling (hot simmering( water). Just my .02 8)

I don't think I will have that kind of time Dat. I am leaning towards pulling and placing in trays covered with foil and putting in the ovens to warm up for about three hours. I think those warmers are set at 155 deg.

I would pull it put it in foil pans for its day in the fridge, covered with foil too!

But to reheat I would do it shorter and hotter, an hour and a half to two hours at 225 - 250 in the oven, leave it covered all the time it is in.

SoEzzy said:
I would pull it put it in foil pans for its day in the fridge, covered with foil too!

But to reheat I would do it shorter and hotter, an hour and a half to two hours at 225 - 250 in the oven, leave it covered all the time it is in.

Ditto. Don't worry about chafing pans. It'll be gone before bacteria gets a chance to grow on it! That takes four hours.

I think you need to re-heat the pork to at least 165* for 15 seconds, that may have been lowered last year by the health departments.

I've sent in pork to my wifes work in crock pots. We just add some sauce and apple cider and let her rip stirring often.

Cliff H. said:

I've reheated in pans and crock pots, both work fine. But like Rich said think about adding a liquid or sauce of your choice when reheating to keep the meat moist. Pulled pork will dry out real quick when reheating. The only down fall to reheating in crock pots is they take a long time to warm the meat through.

The crock pot may be the way for me to go since it will have a few hours to heat up.

I assume "High" would be the right setting for a few hours. ;)

How much cider for two butts ?

Cliff H. said:
The crock pot may be the way for me to go since it will have a few hours to heat up.

I assume "High" would be the right setting for a few hours. ;)

How much cider for two butts ?

I would mix some of the rub you are using along with apple juice and/or vinegar to suit your taste. Use just enough to wet the meat and have just a little liquid sitting in the bottom of the crock pot. Stir it every 30 minutes or so.

Back
Top Bottom