Sharpening knives - What am I doing wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kbreit

Cook
I bought a whet stone a few months ago and have tried to use it numerous times to sharpen knives, but it isn’t working well. It has a 1000 and 6000 grit side which seems mostly standard. I’ll get as close to 15 degrees as I can and spend a few minutes on each side sharpening. I feel for the burr which forms on the upward facing side as a guide. After the burr shows up, I flip sides. Then I move to the 6000 side to smooth it out. By this point it should be sharp, but it doesn’t seem much sharper than when I started as it doesn’t come close to cutting paper. Any suggestions?

I bought a whet stone a few months ago and have tried to use it numerous times to sharpen knives, but it isn’t working well. It has a 1000 and 6000 grit side which seems mostly standard. I’ll get as close to 15 degrees as I can and spend a few minutes on each side sharpening. I feel for the burr which forms on the upward facing side as a guide. After the burr shows up, I flip sides. Then I move to the 6000 side to smooth it out. By this point it should be sharp, but it doesn’t seem much sharper than when I started as it doesn’t come close to cutting paper. Any suggestions?

First question... what kind of metal are your knives made of?

CD

I have a range of knives, different quality, one of the best is a cheapy, I use a steel, same as the ones used in freezing works. My daughter can't stand me sharpening knives.

Russ

I too would welcome advice on how to use a sharpening stone. I have one, but I never got the gist of it, so I use my steel instead, which works fine, but I've heard that stones work better. I'm going to search the web for a site which shows you what to do, but I'm sure there are 'knacks' to it that help on the way.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I am professional tool maker, I deal with tool sharpening on the daily bases and yet, sharpening knives is not that simple. It takes a lot of practice. And even more, Patience. And then some more Patience. The best I can recommend is start watching videos on Youtube. There are plenty to choose from. But remember it will take time and Patience to learn to do it right.

Here is a good video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBXRkMZfIXk

Last edited:
As described, your technique appears sound. I'd take the advice to watch some videos and follow their techniques. Does the company that made/sold the stone have a website with 'how to' videos?

I'm there with you, never could get the hang of using a stone. There are several decent sharpening systems around, but I've had my Chef's Choice 3 stage electric sharpener for quite a few years now, and I'm happy with it, so I haven't really done much research. I also have a cheap Wrenwane pull through sharpener (about $10 on Amazon) that I use on my smaller paring/utility knives... keeps them pretty sharp. Both are easy to use and fairly foolproof.

I use a steel (mine is a ceramic hone, but it functions like a steel) for honing but it won't actually sharpen a dull knife. For that you need something that does more than just realign the edge. Eventually all knives need more than a hone to recreate a proper edge.

There are several decent sharpening systems around, but I've had my Chef's Choice 3 stage electric sharpener for quite a few years now, and I'm happy with it, so I haven't really done much research.
I have one of those too. I can't say that they're cost effective, but it sure is convenient to pull it out when the knife needs a little touch up, rather than taking it out to a sharpening service. I sharpen my knives maybe twice a year. I would much rather have a sharp cheap knife than a dull good knife.

I use a steel (mine is a ceramic hone, but it functions like a steel) for honing but it won't actually sharpen a dull knife. For that you need something that does more than just realign the edge. Eventually all knives need more than a hone to recreate a proper edge.
Thank you for pointing that out. The steel/hone will make the knife seem sharper for a while. Eventually, the knife will need to be sharpened.

What do you do to keep the angle consistent as you do a pass? I try to keep my forearms level and consistent but it seems like they move slightly.

A few different knives but my go-to knife is my chef's knife. It's the Victronix Fibrox Pro 8" chef's knife. Supposedly a carbon blade.

I have that exact same knife. I haven't had it long enough for it to need sharpening. It is thinner than the chef's knives I have had in the past. When I do need to sharpen it, I'm thinking I will need to have patience and a light touch with it.

The only advice I can give is to not, for lack of a better term, "over-sharpen it." Be slow and gentle.

Hope that helps.

CD

I have one of those too. I can't say that they're cost effective, but it sure is convenient to pull it out when the knife needs a little touch up, rather than taking it out to a sharpening service. I sharpen my knives maybe twice a year. I would much rather have a sharp cheap knife than a dull good knife.

I also have a Chef's Choice 3-stage. I never use the first stage unless I have a knife that is actually damaged -- such as a visible nick in the blade (very rare for me).

The last two stages do a great job, but again, you have to have patience and a light touch. Let the magnets and gravity work.

CD

I am not, although I probably should. I created a wood block to help me set 15 degrees although that only gets me started. Once I’m on my own, I need to keep it stable.

You complained earlier that you were concerned about maintaining the proper angle. You should use the guide.

Back
Top Bottom