Shawarma, flatbread, and Steve-inspired pickles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
Last week after reading Steve Kroll's refrigerator pickle recipe and coming home from the garden plot with a hawl of pickling cukes, I made a batch. I modified it a touch. I added extra garlic and subbed black peppercorns, mustard seed, coriander seed and dill seed for the pickling spice and fresh dill and omitted the red pepper since I didn't have any of the latter 3.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f94/quick-and-easy-refrigerator-pickles-90295.html

I have been munching on them for a few days on flatbread with some creamy feta and shredded zucchini and decided to try adding some chicken shawarma for company tonight. It was a hit!

I used this recipe for the chicken, but just tossed it in a hot cast iron skillet instead of baking or grilling:
Chicken Shawarma Recipe - How to Make Shawarma at Home
The spices ended up creating this crispy light crust that was divine.

I started with this recipe for the flatbread, but then was behind schedule and couldn't wait for it to rest.
Homemade Garlic Flatbread Recipe - Homemade Garlic Flatbread

I set that aside and whipped up a batch of flour tortilla dough (almost the same anyway) and just rolled them a bit thicker.

After my company left I cooked up the flatbread and tried a piece with the tiny bit of leftovers remaining and it was even better.

I will definitely be making this again and as I seem to be well on my way to a bumper crop of cucumbers this year, I see a lot of these pickles in our future. :yum: Thanks for the base recipe, Steve!

Last edited:
Sprout, I copied and pasted the recipe, and will use either your frying technique, or use the Webber with a solid bed of coals, and maybe a bit of wood for smoke. I think this will turn out great, especially since I leave the skin on the chicken. I might add pork pieces as well as the chicken. Thanks for sharing.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Love these recipes and ideas. I now have a great menu for our mates next time we have them over. Thanks Sprout.( and I can use up some pickles!)....... ;)

Back
Top Bottom