Shepherd’s Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheHummer

Cook
Serves 4

Prep: 15 min
Cook: 60 min

400g canned chopped tomatoes
2tbsp butter or oil
2 onions, finely chopped
500g minced lamb
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1tbsp flour
2tbsp tomato ketchup
1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Sea salt and pepper
1 bay leaf
2tbsp finely chopped parsley
600g floury potatoes
1tbsp butter

METHOD

Drain the tomatoes, reserving the liquid. Heat the butter or oil in a frying pan and cook the onions until softened. Add the minced lamb and garlic and cook, stirring until the meat is browned. Sprinkle the flour on top and stir it in well. Add the tomatoes, tomato ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, bay leaf and parsley and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding tomato water if needed.

Peel and chop the potatoes. Cook in simmering, salted water until tender. Drain and mash thoroughly, adding butter, sea salt and pepper.

Heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Spoon the meat sauce into a one-litre pie dish or four 250 ml ramekins, and spread a thick layer of potato on top, raking it with a fork. Bake for 30 minutes until browned.

Where were you 6 months ago when my pregnant wife had a craving for this? Better late than never, this looks great :chef:

Sheperds Pie

I am lost and apologize but how can I determine the measurements in your recipe? I am sorry but it sounds good or else I wouldn't ask. Thanks

The 400g of canned tomato is equal to a 14 (or so) ounce can.

The 500g of lamb is about a pound. There are 454 grams to a pound.

The 600g of potato is equal to about 1 1/3 pounds or 21 ounces.

Andy M. said:
The 400g of canned tomato is equal to a 14 (or so) ounce can.

The 500g of lamb is about a pound. There are 454 grams to a pound.

The 600g of potato is equal to about 1 1/3 pounds or 21 ounces.
Thank you. What is 200c/gas6? Sorry but I really want to know exactly how to fix it? don't like to ask but I am not familiar with this measurement. I do appreciate it.

thanks hummer. YAY!!!! a sheperd's pie recipe with lamb. ground beef is good, but it's not the same, not nearly as good as lamb.

In the Kitchen said:
Thank you. What is 200c/gas6? Sorry but I really want to know exactly how to fix it? don't like to ask but I am not familiar with this measurement. I do appreciate it.

That's the temperature setting for your oven 200 C is equal to just about 400 F. The Gas6 refers to a oven temp. system used in Europe for setting temperatrues.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Sheperd's Pie

I will do as you asked and let you know how it turned out. It sounds so good and i am not good at measuring anyway reason for asking. I certainly appreciate your time and explanation. I just didn't know 200/gas 6 what that could mean. Setting the right temp. makes lot of difference. We love lamb and got shanks this weekend when went to store. However, the leg looked better but price changed my mind. Thanks again Andy M for your time.

Buckytom
If you make the shepherd's pie with minced beef, it is called cottage pie :mrgreen:

Your recipe is interesting, the Hummer, because I imagine there are as many versions of Shepherd/Cottage pie as there are families in the UK. I don't use any tomatoes in mine (either ketchup or tinned) and replace the fluid from that source with stock. Where are you from in the UK - maybe the tomatoes are a regional difference, but I'm going to give your recipe a go next time I make this dish.

Ishbel said:
Buckytom
If you make the shepherd's pie with minced beef, it is called cottage pie :mrgreen:

I was going to point that out, but would probably get flamed for it. :angry:
It is possible to grill the topping, as all is cooked beneath, and as I'm always hungry when making SP/CP, I can't wait for it to brown in the oven. :pig:
I sometimes make furrows in the mash with a fork and sprinkle bread crumbs over, makes it a little more crunchy. :chef:

cheers
Waaza

thanks for the info ishbel and wazaa. i never have a problem being corrected (politely), so no worries wazaa.

it has always annoyed me that the sheperd's pie i grew up on (made with leftover lamb) was so much different than the ones served (beef) in most restaurants and diners in and around nyc. now i can hassle a restaurant owner/friend of mine to refer to them correctly.:angry:

Bucky - Even over here (where it was invented) you can go into a pub and order 'Shepherd's Pie' off the menu - and what you'll get is a portion of Cottage Pie!

Did you know that if you make cottage pie, and add diced or sliced carrot to the meat/onion layer, then add a small amount of cheddar cheese as a topping to the potatoes before you put it back in the oven to brown - it then gets renamed as Cumberland Pie.... :mrgreen:

ok, this is getting even better. my buddy's restaurant then serves cumberland pie because there's always peas and carrots in the beef, and the potatoes are mixed with cheese. his place is an irish pub, so it should be fun to remind everyone that he is serving an english dish (as i run away...)

Goodness, you're a brave person :mrgreen: I'm not sure whether the 'Cumberland' is because it was once made with Cumberland sausages, or named after the English County of Cumbeland OR... (whisper it quietly... ) after the Duke of Cumberland - who is known, in Scotland, as Butcher Cumberland. Did you know that the flowers called Sweet William was named after him? And that in Scotland they are known, to this day as 'Stinkin Billy'.....? (I'm a veritable fund of useless information - but great to have on your team in a game of Trivial Pursuit!)

I think the Cumberland pie was originally made from wild Cumberland boar, (of which there are a few 'round 'ere, still :LOL: especially when you spill their beer) I'll do a census tonight down the ole bistro-pub, where I hope to sit in with the musicians that are playing. The guitarist was voted UK top jazz guitarist a few years back.

Think shepherd's pie was invented to use up left over lamb, BTW.

Just remembered why I put furrows and bread crumbs only on my cottage pie, so I could tell it from shepherd's pie, (ie it's the one with the thatched roof :ROFLMAO: )

off t'd pub.
cheers
Waaza :mrgreen:

have a bass or magner's for me wazaa. man, i wish i was joining you. i play a mean jazz kazoo...

no Bass round 'ere, and never heard of Magner's. It's Robinson's or Hartley's, though I stick to cider as I'm from the West country. Five/six pints :blink: , play a bit, then off to the chippy, as I've only had a plate of Dum Aloo (home-made of course) for tea.
See yaw, Bucky
cheers
Waaza :shock:

magner's is an excellent irish cider, not too sweet. yea, 5 or 6 pints is about my limit these days as well. i'm getting old.the spuds should hold you over until you can get to the chip shop (or van?)... i could go for a chip butty right now.
ok, just keep rubbing it in....

sheperds pie

Just got back from the store and lamb roast is $6.79lb. Now I know why everyone had ham in their cart. Don't know if we will be having this but you better believe at that price there won't be leftovers. Have to fix with ground beef. Thought of shanks but not enough meat on them. Everyone must be familiar with this recipe. Lot of responses. GOOD!

buckytom, can you get that cider in the states?

In answer to Ishbel's query, I used to be from the Midlands, just south of Birmingham.

Both my Cottage and Shepards pies vary depending on what I've got in the cupboard. If I've got no Tomatoes then I usually add Tomato Puree and some stock, I find adding Toms makes the sauce richer and thicker. I also make an Oriental version by adding Oyster Sauce instead of the Toms, which is a little different.

Thanks to you all for the stimulating comments, it is amazing that the simplest foods seem to generate the biggest debates.

Back
Top Bottom