Should I be insulted??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
So, I asked my kids ( 15 (boy) and 13 (girl)) what they wanted for dinner tonight. Its my day off. I love cooking, and have never considered it a chore. Got all the time in the world to prepare just about anything they want. My kitchen is fully stocked, just went shopping. Been cooking for about 30 years. Attended many food and wine shows, and seen many talented chefs perform culinary masterpieces before my eyes. Havnt traveled abroad much, but living in the northeast, with New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington Dc in my backyard, Ive had the opportunities to try dozens of different cuisines ( and always attempted to recreate what ive experienced , at home. So, what were my kids response??? Ramen Noodles. So I labored over the stove, got the 6 cups of water to a boil, added the 3 flavor packets, then the Noodles. A few minutes later, dinner is served.

Anyway,

Ill just assume its a teenage thing ( and not that my food taste like crap).

Just had to vent,

larry

It's not your cooking. My grandson loves those things, just as he loves my seafood pasta and grandpa's prime rib. It's a kid comfort food.

Well, you clearly were insulted. I used to be too.

Join the club. My kids don't appreciate 99% of my cooking skills. My two daughters have foods they don't like so I can't prepare them when they come for dinner. Sadly they each have different dislikes. Add in SIL's dislikes - now that's a really long list!

Don't be offended, it's not about you. They want ramen noodles because that's what's cool. ( I guess)

Be cheered by the fact that in 10 years or so, everything will change and they will be asking you for cooking lessons.

Well, my sons taste buds are a little funky. One of his favorite lunches is a Feta cheese and pickle sandwich. And my daughter, If I say I like "A" she says she likes "B". If I say 1 she says 2 .... My son does show some interest in cooking. His high school offers a baking class. He came home with his first finished project ( a chocolate chip cake). This week will be an apple pie. And next week, peach cobbler.

When he offers me a piece of his cake, I should say i prefer a twinkie instead:ROFLMAO:

Id never do that, but it would sure be funny to see the look on his face :)

Well, my sons taste buds are a little funky. One of his favorite lunches is a Feta cheese and pickle sandwich. And my daughter, If I say I like "A" she says she likes "B". If I say 1 she says 2 .... My son does show some interest in cooking. His high school offers a baking class. He came home with his first finished project ( a chocolate chip cake). This week will be an apple pie. And next week, peach cobbler.

When he offers me a piece of his cake, I should say i prefer a twinkie instead:ROFLMAO:

Id never do that, but it would sure be funny to see the look on his face :)

I'd say that it's time to let the kids make some of the meals. When they put some of their own creativity to work, they take ownership. Before long, they will be asking for your advice and expertise.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Years ago, after my daughter got her first job, Taco Bell was her meal of choice, no matter what I cooked. That was eighteen years ago. She still eats Taco Bell once or twice a week, but now she also likes eating at home. It must be a maturity thing :excl:

Yeah, right!!!

Last edited:
I cook for our youth group quite often. We have a service week where they work hard in the community and we feed them lunch and dinner for 5 days. We have lasagna, pizza, mac and cheese, etc. and all homemade. Their favourite lunch? Friday which is grilled cheese and Mr. Noodles (along the lines of Ramen). We went through 48 packages this year for 30 kids! and not one noodle left.

Oh, they love the other stuff, but this is hands down the favourite.

So, Larry, I hate to tell you but your kids are normal :LOL:

Ramen Noodles. So I labored over the stove, got the 6 cups of water to a boil, added the 3 flavor packets, then the Noodles. A few minutes later, dinner is served.

Anyway,

Ill just assume its a teenage thing ( and not that my food taste like crap).

Just had to vent,

larry

Looks like you got the evening off, too! :LOL: Small Miracles!

We had ramen noodles every Friday. The kids loved it and it was easy. What they didn't realize was that ramen was my clean out the fridge meal. All the left over veggies and meat were chopped and added to the pot! My son was always great about eating and always said he wanted to eat at home 'cause he liked my cooking. He was also my garden helper. Even in college he cooked for himself instead of eating out. We've had more fun sharing recipes, ethnic foods and cooking methods. My daughter, however, when she was out on her own would eat only mac and cheese! She was never my garden helper. When she'd visit my pantry was stuffed with those horrible blue boxes. After several years and several waist expansions she finally decided that perhaps Mom does know a thing or two about healthy eating! We now share recipes too. It took her until the age of 24 to realize this so don't expect changes overnight! I've received calls from both from AZ,CO, Maldive Islands and Australia that started with, " hi Mom, how do I make this dish". I'll just leave you with one of my Mom's phrases, "this too shall pass"!

I have been thinking about making the authentic stuff for about a week. I have to get myself to a specialty store so that I can get the Kombu. They don't sell that type of thing here. Having recently moved, I am a little starved for culture. There isn't even a coffee shop here.

Larry I'm sure your cooking is GR8 but if you feed your children ramin noodles all week long, they will soon get bored and hate it. :LOL:

I'm 13 and love my food. But Mum is firm and won't allow me to get picky. Once when I threw a mood she said "get your own dinner or go without and be hungry. I will not pannder to you." So I ate her food, it was lovely actually. And from then on I never gave her a hard time.

Thats kids for you! I know I certainly didn't appreciate my mum's meals until I was older. All those meals I used to moan about (stew, braised steak & onions, casseroles etc) I now beg her to make for me and love them!

So, I asked my kids ( 15 (boy) and 13 (girl)) what they wanted for dinner tonight. Its my day off. I love cooking ... So, what were my kids response??? Ramen Noodles. So I labored over the stove, got the 6 cups of water to a boil, added the 3 flavor packets, then the Noodles. A few minutes later, dinner is served.

Yep ... kids are funny.

Last week my culinary students breaded chicken breasts that had been stuffed with green chilies and pepper jack cheese. The breasts were pan fried and served with a chile sauce, herbed rice pilaf, and grilled asparagus.

The students did a great job but after eating their meal, one of the kids asked me when we would begin making "real food."

I asked him what he thought real food was.

The answer was pizza, fried chicken, tacos, and burgers i.e. fast food. After some additional thought, he added mac and cheese ... the Kraft instant mix not the made from scratch type.

(sigh)

Wait until your children are starving hungry. Keep them waiting til they whine. Am I sadistic? yes. Okay, now tantalize them with the smell of toast, and what they think they will dislike when seriously hungry, they will eat. Even beans on toast with grated cheese sprinkled over is something so good that I'm going to have it now.

Don't feel bad. Not only do I have a teen-aged daughter who eats that way but I have a fully mature husband who thinks anything more exotic than chicken with mashed potatoes and canned corn is an experiment at his expense. Sometimes the Lord puts together the strangest combinations of people! I should have married a widowed farmer with 12 adult children who hate to cook but love to eat.

Back
Top Bottom