Should I keep using this range hood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
My range hood recently, from time to time, it will fall a spot of green viscous liquid, I can't think of what it is, it's quite unlikely something I could find normally in daily life. But I am quite sure that it must not be something you can eat.

Does anyone know what it is?

Can I keep using this range hood or is it time to replace it?

What is the possible problem and can I have it fixed by myself?

Warranty definitely expired because it's over 10 years.

Yes, after you give it a thorough cleaning.
How often do you clean it? And the grease catcher/filter?

My vent hood is 40 years old and still works like new.

Last edited:
Yes, after you give it a thorough cleaning.
How often do you clean it? And the grease catcher/filter?

My vent hood is 40 years old and still works like new.

Do you know what is that green viscous liquid could be? I don't have a picture of it because it only appears sometimes....

How to give a "thorough" cleaning ? Do I need to unscrew any part to clean it ?

Sometimes grease collects and every time you cook, it warms the grease and it runs to the lowest point. Usually in the ledge at one of the corners..it will overflow if not cleaned..it's probably just dirty grease..I'd remove the filters and run a rag around the inside of the ledge.

Does your hood vent to the outside or back into the room?
Remove the filters. Ours are metal. Soak and wash well with a de-greaser or dish soap.
Clean all areas of the hood you can reach. Especially on top of the lip that surrounds the hood.
Do you deep fry much? Fry much?

Some hoods that vent outside use flexible aluminum duct. Grease will stick to this surface quite easily. So you may need to replace the flexible duct if a thorough cleaning does not help.

I find that vent hoods that aren't vented to the outside to be absolutely useless. All they have as a filter is a washable aluminum mesh screen.

the green tinge is a reaction between the oil and copper/copper compounds.
copper is commonly used in wires, terminals, motor bushings....

a good cleaning is in order - oil/grease dripping out of a hood is not a tasty food additive.

I have two aluminum filters in my stove hood. Once a month I put them in the sink and blast them with the hottest tap water to take off some of the grease then run them through the dishwasher.

Cleaning the rest of the hood is harder and I hate to do it. But it has to be done.

Cleaning the rest of the hood is harder and I hate to do it. But it has to be done.

I'm not ever going to try to clean the inside of a vent hood that circulates air back into the kitchen. Never has a kitchen appliance been made that was as no real value. It's almost like they were made to serve a psychological comfort. They sure don't do much beyond that. My range hood washable aluminum mesh filter screen is the proof of that. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom