Should I really wipe the yogurt from chicken before grilling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
good to know.
i will wipe it when grilling tomorrow.

i think most of americans will grill bone in chicken. why is that? why it is not mostly boneless? much less time you know.....

i guess that some of the reason is the flavour of the bone that penetrate the meat of the chicken

OK
so i've a conclusion.
making boneless chicken tights on the grill is much much tastier.

i think that the flat chicken thighs get much more flavor and better texture because it has more surface to 'soak' the smoke.

it is more complicated than just that, but bone in thighs are much much less appealing in my opinion.

try yourself.

thanks for all the advice anyway. it was helpful........

Unless I'm in a real hurry and need the chickn right away, I buy bone-in when on special and de-bone myself.

Bit messier but cheaper! Both thighs and breasts.
Bone-in breasts are great cause you usually get the back bone as well. Great for stock.

I then have a choice for various recipes as to bone-in, skin-on or bone out, skin off.

I think today using yogurt on chicken is almost, almost, pointless. Those old recipes came when chicken used was not young, tougher and needed some serious marinating. Today, when chicken sold in the store are literally are still chicks, 3 months at the most, yogurt is unnecessary.
That is just my opinion.
Then again, I keep kosher so I cannot use yogurt and I can guarantee that my grilled chicken is as good as any yogurt marinated chicken.

Good point Charlie. Hadn't thought of it that way.

But yogurt can add a different flavour, so although you could use it to make a sauce of some sort, it is not necessary to marinate. Even the thighs and legs are pretty tender now-a-days which is where the marinade is used a lot.

Then again, for those of you on farms, or buy specific 'stewing' hens, might be an option! :LOL:

I think today using yogurt on chicken is almost, almost, pointless. Those old recipes came when chicken used was not young, tougher and needed some serious marinating. Today, when chicken sold in the store are literally are still chicks, 3 months at the most, yogurt is unnecessary.
That is just my opinion.
Then again, I keep kosher so I cannot use yogurt and I can guarantee that my grilled chicken is as good as any yogurt marinated chicken.

Very interesting

Good point Charlie. Hadn't thought of it that way.

But yogurt can add a different flavour, so although you could use it to make a sauce of some sort, it is not necessary to marinate. Even the thighs and legs are pretty tender now-a-days which is where the marinade is used a lot.

Then again, for those of you on farms, or buy specific 'stewing' hens, might be an option! :LOL:

Agree, it might add some flavor.

Im not sure. Maybe sweet paprika and msg

There are more interesting spices mixes in israel like 'baking hwayege' which has grounded fennel and grounded cumin and maybe more...... It is used for pizza dogh when making special 'pretzels'. I like loads of it incorpoeated into the dogh..

Charlie, if you want to try the yogourt flavour with chicken, there are vegan yogourts made with coconut milk and similar, no dairy whatsoever in them.

Back
Top Bottom