Show us your quiche!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks beautiful Larry. I'm curious about the overall taste with the tofu. I'd have a hard time to describe an egg quiche, but one with tofu... is it more of the vegies? as in the mushrooms? I can understand how the creamy texture comes thru but in my little brain - quiche's flavour is egg and cheese, at least my quiches are! LOL!
Definitely not eggy or cheesy :-p . The Onions, Sun dried tomatoes and basil kind of dominate the flavors, with a mushroom undertone. It's one of those dishes that were better than I thought it was going to be. Clearly not a quiche by definition or direct comparison, but similar in its own way. No one is going to be fooled.

This site has an almond flour crust, for anyone wanting to lower cholesterol or vegan, or lower fat.

Quiche Crust​

• ▢ 1 ¼ cup Fine Almond Flour I used Bob Mills
  • ▢ ⅓ cup Tapioca Starch I used Bob Mills
  • ▢ 2 Tablespoons Ground Flax + 5 Tablespoons Water
  • ▢ ¾ teaspoon salt

I had a galette that I turned into a quiche later. It had gruyere cheese, caramelized onions, and spinach in it. Oh my gosh so delicious. Rich and buttery and savory and I paired it with just a dab of gastrique (equal parts honey and vinegar) to add some acidity to cut through the richness.

so my quiche-quest continues . . .
using standard bought pie crust, rolled out thinner/bigger to work with the deep dish pan . . .
crust got a bit too brown @350' - 'crust shield' will appear next trip . . .

the recipe is great - tastes great, good texture, yadda yadda- but I have a problem . . .
by the grace of somebody other than us, we're in 'the zone' for the eclipse next month.
and we've been invited to host house guests 'for the event' . . .

my quiche uses six strips of diced/ crisped bacon . . . and one of our guests keeps kosher....

so I thought of smoked salmon - but that's so thin/fragile, I'm thinking it will break up into zillions of unidentified objects . . .

so I thought about turkey bacon . . . any opinions on how close tasting turkey bacon to bacon bacon is?

considering other markedly savory options.... corned beef? pastrami? non-pork pepperoni?
IMG_3334.JPG

so my quiche-quest continues . . .
using standard bought pie crust, rolled out thinner/bigger to work with the deep dish pan . . .
crust got a bit too brown @350' - 'crust shield' will appear next trip . . .

the recipe is great - tastes great, good texture, yadda yadda- but I have a problem . . .
by the grace of somebody other than us, we're in 'the zone' for the eclipse next month.
and we've been invited to host house guests 'for the event' . . .

my quiche uses six strips of diced/ crisped bacon . . . and one of our guests keeps kosher....

so I thought of smoked salmon - but that's so thin/fragile, I'm thinking it will break up into zillions of unidentified objects . . .

so I thought about turkey bacon . . . any opinions on how close tasting turkey bacon to bacon bacon is?

considering other markedly savory options.... corned beef? pastrami? non-pork pepperoni?
View attachment 68618

How close is turkey bacon to real bacon? How close is a ribeye steak to tofu? Pretty much the same, IMO.

I personally don't like corned beef/pastrami, but that's just a personal preference for me. I'd much rather use mushrooms instead of meat, and just make it a veggie quiche. I've done it before, and liked it.

CD

If the person actually keeps kosher, not just doesn't eat pork, then mushrooms are a much, much better substitute. They will be stretching their rules just to eat anything from your kitchen. They can stretch the dairy and maybe the cheese, but they wouldn't want to eat any meat that wasn't kosher, not just bacon.

stretching . . . . yes, but it's a minority that are so inclined . . .
'kosher' is a real wormfest of regulations and interpretations.

Yeah, mushrooms works for me!

And as said, kosher, they will/must have realized that your kitchen/home will not be kosher and I'm pretty sure that they will not expect you to. Just do your best for what you have.

I truly believe that if you do what you can, without killing yourself, to accommodate those who have certain dietary restrictions - either out of necessity or personal choice, will appreciate what you have done and will already know be able to compensate.

If the person actually keeps kosher, not just doesn't eat pork, then mushrooms are a much, much better substitute. They will be stretching their rules just to eat anything from your kitchen. They can stretch the dairy and maybe the cheese, but they wouldn't want to eat any meat that wasn't kosher, not just bacon.

Yeah, there are different levels of "kosher." Some won't eat anything from a kitchen where pork is also cooked. I have a few friends who are Jews, and some keep kosher to a mild degree, and a few have no problem eating bacon with their eggs.

Being a true smart**, I like to eat pork on Fridays during Lent, so I can break the dietary rules of three major religions at one time. :mrgreen:

CD

I did a multi-year consulting gig in Las Vegas. there was a Jewish deli south end of town - on the road running from the airport. I/we/the gang would do lunch there right regular.

spectacular food - they had red rimed plates and blue rimmed plates, different cutlery, two kitchens, two separate entrances - it was 'one' deli but totally separated to the nth degree of 'kosher' i.e. nothing on the kosher side was ever 'contaminated' from 'the other side' - however those terms/words work out. I'm not Jewish so I only know the definitions of 'kosher' vary . . .

I do think comma however, a lot of the non-kosher sandwiches were actually prepared on 'the other side' and passed thru to the not-strict kosher side.
the food was utterly superb.

Back
Top Bottom