Side dishes???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
Tomorrow is my anniversary, and we are going to have steak. I'm struggling on what to make for a side dish. I really don't want to go to the store but I might have to. We have some pasta, left over mashed tators and rice. That's about it!!

Any suggestions?

Twice Baked Potatoes

Bake potatoes, after you oil the peel, as usual in the oven. Then, when they're almost done, cut a slit going lengthwise and scoop out most of the pulp, leaving a scant 1/2" of flesh in the skin. Do this with all potatoes, and then mash them with whatever you like, such as butter, (I add cream cheese), roasted garlic, or parmesan, cheese, salt and pepper, or bacon or whatever you choose. Then, carefully stuff the filling back into the shells, using either a large piping tip or a spoon. (If you use a piping tip, it really looks pretty). Then,pop 'em back in the oven till the tops are golden.

That sounds delicious but I wont have the time most likely. I have an eye appointment right after work and by the time I get home, we'll want to eat. Trust me, I don't want him cooking....

How about steaming asparagus with some butter laced with lemon juice? Then sprinkle some sliced almonds on top?

No, I'm really really picky...the only veggies I like are raw carrots, sweet corn and maybe a salad. Tomatoes are only good in salsa or spag/pizza sauce, ketchup makes me gag, and potatoes are not really veggies (according to my MOM!)

Not much help, eh???

since you have leftover mashed potatoes, you could make some potatoe pancakes. I add egg and scallions to my mixture, then fry them up til brown and crispy.

I think that's what I'll end up doing. Do you think I can get away with using chopped white onion? I have that on hand and really really really don't want to hit the store on the way home from work!

Perfect. Thank you. I'll make hubby chop it up since he'll be home before me. I hate chopping onions (tears) and since I had my accident with the knife a year ago (chopped off part of my finger, had to get it sewn back on), he doesn't trust me with a knife!

Good idea, let hubby chop the onions! No need to lose another finger :) Run the onion under some water to cut down on the tears when he chops them.

Thanks for all the ideas! I might have him talked into going to the store for me, though...heh heh...I'm still in my robe and it's almost 6pm!!! I want to make some fresh bread for tomorrow (bread maker) but am out of yeast. He loves fresh bread so I can usually talk him into going for me!

ironchef said:
I would saute the onions seperately until caramelized and then add them to the potato.

Good idea. And since I usually use scallions which are not quite as strong as a white onion, I add them raw. I think I would carmelize the white onion too.

Where are my manners today, I forgot to say Happy Anniversary! How many years?

Last edited:
Thanks!

7 yrs. I was looking through out wedding album at what was "hot" at that time....Bill Clinton's Monica was the big thing! LOL

Congratulations on seven happy years together! :) And btw, your dinner sounds really good, hope you both enjoy your evening together.

Back
Top Bottom