Simmer; What Be Thy Name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skilletlicker

Head Chef
Many recipes for soups, stews, beans, greens, and nearly anything else that begins or ends in the pot, start with the words "bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer."

But what does simmer mean? I have followed hundreds of google links on this question and found positions ranging from hot (140°F) to continuous rolling bubbles (212°F).

My interest is mostly in controlling the calories in home-made stock and it began a few years ago when I was improving my kitchen skills and beginning to pay attention to weight and calorie intake. I didn't (still don't) always have good home-made stock on hand. But when I did, my weight always was affected as though somebody snuck some extra calories into it.

I've become convinced that this is due to the emulsion of fat and water caused by the surface disturbance of water caused by bubbles created at the bottom of the pot over the burner. The surface disturbance works over time like whisking oil and water into a mayonnaise.

So I've been making my stock lately with virtually literally no surface disturbance. In other words 180°F to 190°F. It takes longer to break down the connective tissue into collagen and then gelatin but it produces a clearer stock or broth that, when cooled in the refrigerator, has less fat surface than expected and at refrigerator temperatures has the consistency of soft rubber.

Many recipes for soups, stews, beans, greens, and nearly anything else that begins or ends in the pot, start with the words "bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer."

But what does simmer mean? I have followed hundreds of google links on this question and found positions ranging from hot (140°F) to continuous rolling bubbles (212°F).
I've become convinced that this is due to the emulsion of fat and water caused by the surface disturbance of water caused by bubbles created at the bottom of the pot over the burner. The surface disturbance works over time like whisking oil and water into a mayonnaise.

So I've been making my stock lately with virtually literally no surface disturbance. In other words 180°F to 190°F. It takes longer to break down the connective tissue into collagen and then gelatin but it produces a clearer stock or broth that, when cooled in the refrigerator, has less fat surface than expected and at refrigerator temperatures has the consistency of soft rubber.
That's exactly what simmer means, and you're right that the fat and broth emulsify and create a cloudy stock when it's boiling, which happens at 212F and creates the bubbles. That's what I was taught in culinary school and it's why restaurants simmer beef stock for a full day.

Broths can be simmered at a light boil for a few hours, then straied, and clarifed with an egg raft. Refridherate tje clarifed broth and chill compeyey. The fat will seperate and float to the top, where it will harden into a solid disc. This is easily removed, leaving you with gelled stock. Hope that helps.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Happy New Year everybody. Chief, an egg white might suck the fat out of mayonnaise, but I got my doubts about it. ;)

More often than not I make stock from animal parts that have a lot of fat.

Tonight I'm making one from roasted turkey breast bones and a few aromatics. There are virtually no fats but some connective tissue attaching the muscles to breast bones and ribs. In this case, I'll cook it for couple-three hours at a slow boil, which most people would probably call a slow simmer.

From my point of view, it is all about controlling the fat in the stock.

Back
Top Bottom