Simple Pleasures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoot

Executive Chef
Moderator Emeritus
I got to thinkin' (I know this is generally a dangerous thing) that it might be interesting to see what the good folks here at D.C. consider to be their most favorite and easiest comfort foods.
Here at Casa de Hoot, one of our most favorite things is mayonnaise biscuits.
Now, afore y'all turn your noses up, take a look at the recipe straight from the Duke's Mayonnaise website. It's very easy and mighty tasty!

Basic 3 Ingredient Drop Biscuits

hmmm, this is a tough one for me to put a handle on, as most of the foods I consider comfort foods are whole meals and I wouldn't say exactly easy. Not hard, but multiple steps/ingredients involved.
Can we consider chocolate milk a comfort food? I still enjoy a glass of chocolate milk from time to time. Milk, Hershey's Syrup, stir. Maybe those biscuits would go well with it, too :yum:

So many it is hard to pick one!

Pasta with oil or butter, garlic and grated cheese or maybe eggs and toast or a bowl of cereal or a PB&J or grilled cheese and tomato soup from a can or ......:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

"Tis true. There are more comfort foods than I could possibly choose from. Some are complicated, while others are rediculously easy. In keeping with Hoot's theme, I'll give three of the easiest comfort foods to make.

1. Potted meat sandwich - 1 can potted meat, 2 tbs. Miracle Whip, 1 tbs. sweet pickly rellish. Mix and serve on good bread.:yum:

2. Cold hot dog, straight from the fridge. Take it out and munch it.:ohmy:

3. BLT! How could this not go into a comfort food thread, or even a Haute Cuisine thread.:LOL: Here's how I like mine. 4 strips streaky bacon (for my up-north friends), iceburgh lettuce, fresh from the garden slicing tomatoes, Miracle Whip, Whole Wheat toast - three slices. Cut each bacon strip in half. Fry until the bacon is just starting to develop a soft crunch. Spread the salad dressing onto both sides of one bread slice. Place lettuce and tomato on the other two slices. Finally, Put half of the bacon on one slice, with the veggies, and cover with the center slice. Place the remaining bacon on the top of the center slice, and cover that with the final slice with the veggies. Voila, you have a double-decker BLT on whole wheat toast.:chef:

4. I know I was only going to give three, but this one has to be in there.
Grilled PBJ - 2 slices of your favorite bread, 2 tbs. peanut butter, 2 tbs. of your favorite jelly, butter. Make your favorite PBJ. Butter the outside of both bread slices. Grill as you would a grilled cheese sandwich. Serve hot with napkins. It just doesn't get any better.:yum:

I could give you a hundred more of my favorite comfort foods. I just don't have the time.:(

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I got to thinkin' (I know this is generally a dangerous thing) that it might be interesting to see what the good folks here at D.C. consider to be their most favorite and easiest comfort foods.
Now, afore y'all turn your noses up, take a look at the recipe straight from the Duke's Mayonnaise website. It's very easy and mighty tasty!

I have to admit to a love of mayonnaise sandwiches. Or bacon sandwiches (not BLTs - just bacon)on doorsteps of white bread with a spot of tomato ketchup or HP sauce. What I don't turn to in moments of crisis is chocolate. Not my thing at all.

I'm fascinated by the idea of mayonnaise biscuits. Must go and look them up. (Biscuits are what we call scones over here, yes?)

"Tis true. There are more comfort foods than I could possibly choose from. Some are complicated, while others are rediculously easy. In keeping with Hoot's theme, I'll give three of the easiest comfort foods to make.

1. Potted meat sandwich - 1 can potted meat, 2 tbs. Miracle Whip, 1 tbs. sweet pickly rellish. Mix and serve on good bread.:yum:

2. Cold hot dog, straight from the fridge. Take it out and munch it.:ohmy:

3. BLT! How could this not go into a comfort food thread, or even a Haute Cuisine thread.:LOL: Here's how I like mine. 4 strips streaky bacon (for my up-north friends), iceburgh lettuce, fresh from the garden slicing tomatoes, Miracle Whip, Whole Wheat toast - three slices. Cut each bacon strip in half. Fry until the bacon is just starting to develop a soft crunch. Spread the salad dressing onto both sides of one bread slice. Place lettuce and tomato on the other two slices. Finally, Put half of the bacon on one slice, with the veggies, and cover with the center slice. Place the remaining bacon on the top of the center slice, and cover that with the final slice with the veggies. Voila, you have a double-decker BLT on whole wheat toast.:chef:

4. I know I was only going to give three, but this one has to be in there.
Grilled PBJ - 2 slices of your favorite bread, 2 tbs. peanut butter, 2 tbs. of your favorite jelly, butter. Make your favorite PBJ. Butter the outside of both bread slices. Grill as you would a grilled cheese sandwich. Serve hot with napkins. It just doesn't get any better.:yum:

I could give you a hundred more of my favorite comfort foods. I just don't have the time.:(

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Now I know what PBJ sandwiches are about and I love them but I've never thought of grilling them. I'm quite looking forward to the next time I'm in need of comfort!

Have you tried a peanut butter and grated carrot on granary bread sandwich - yum.

I go through stages. Sometimes I like pretzels dipped in Nutella or jalapeño mustard. Sometimes it's nachos with chips, salsa, shredded cheddar and homemade pickled red onions. When it's cool out, I like grilled cheese with Havarti and cheddar. Sometimes I put mustard on that.

Now I know what PBJ sandwiches are about and I love them but I've never thought of grilling them. I'm quite looking forward to the next time I'm in need of comfort!

Have you tried a peanut butter and grated carrot on granary bread sandwich - yum.

Never heard of the p.n. butter/carrot combo before. Will try it sometime. Sue Grafton's private eye Kinsey Milhone likes peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. Haven't done that either. And some heresy: don't like PB&J.

My comfort food is a plate of bacon & eggs, toast and slices from a good tomato out of the garden.

Grilled cheese sammies and tomato soup, with crackers.

Ruffles Sour Cream and Onion chips dipped in cottage cheese. I could live on the stuff, but have banned the SC&O chips from the house.

Tuna sandwiches. The plainer the better. Tuna, mayo, bread. Now, if it's for lunch, then other stuff can be added, but for comfort, simple.

PB & J.

Cold boxed cereals-- Wheaties, wheat chex, rice krispies. I seldom buy this.

Good question Mr. Hoot.

I guess it depends on if I'm feeling lazy or not. :rolleyes:

When I'm lazy a Tuna Sandwich is simple and quick.

Tuna, Mayo, Sweet Relish, and Salt & Pepper. On a soft white bread. Toasted or not depending on my mood.

Chips added if I have them and remember. :ermm:

If I want to cook nothing spells comfort like a good burger with home made fries. A salad on the side with whatever dressing I'm in the mood for and have the makings for. :chef:

And never underestimate a good hotdog to hit the spot. :yum:

All easy to fix but they all seem to satisfy the need.

And go ahead and think. We won't tell anyone. ;)

I am going to try those biscuits - they sound good.

For me it's a simple fried egg and a slice of toast with butter. It's something my Mom always made for me when I didn't feel well and it's become my "feel good" comfort food.

Never heard of the p.n. butter/carrot combo before. Will try it sometime. Sue Grafton's private eye Kinsey Milhone likes peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. Haven't done that either. And some heresy: don't like PB&J.

My comfort food is a plate of bacon & eggs, toast and slices from a good tomato out of the garden.
I think PB & carrot is my invention but I could be wrong

Back
Top Bottom