Simple recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennifer Murphy

Senior Cook
Is there a simple recipe for making sausage patties that are not too plain, but not too "spicy", and use ingredients that I can find at the local grocery store?

A breakfast sausage
  • 2 lbs of ground pork
  • 3 Tablespoons of water
  • 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 Tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 rounded Tablespoon – sage
  • 1 rounded Tablespoon Italian seasoning mix (I skip this and add a little more Sage)
  • 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
  • 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (skip this if you don't like spicy)
  • salt to taste (if you aren't sure, start with a little, mix it well, cook a little bit and see if you like it or if it needs a little more)
Mix and refrigerate, then make into small patties. I make this vegan with oatmeal/flax meal/water, but it would be good with pork. :) Then brown it in a pan or in the oven.

Dear taxlady and blissful (now there are two of the most opposite monikers I can imagine ?),

Thanks for the recipes. I can't wait to try them out.

Do you have any advice on how to make nice round patties? Is there a patty press I should get? If I find a recipe that I like and can handle, I'll probably make several pounds at a time and freeze them.

Thanks

I just make small balls by hand then press them a little flat.
I freeze them after I cook them then I just warm them up.
shelfstabletofu-008.jpg

Aha! You freeze them after you cook them. Then you only need to reheat! In your opinion, is there any noticeable difference in the reheated frozen patties compared to the freshly cooked ones?

Thanks

PS: I watched most of the nutritionfacts video cited in your signature. I am wondering if by following those recommendations do you really live longer or does it just seem longer? ????

Dear taxlady and blissful (now there are two of the most opposite monikers I can imagine ?),

Thanks for the recipes. I can't wait to try them out.

Do you have any advice on how to make nice round patties? Is there a patty press I should get? If I find a recipe that I like and can handle, I'll probably make several pounds at a time and freeze them.

In my experience, any kind of patty press is a bad thing. When I make a patty or a meatball gently in my hands, I don't press too tightly. Ther are pockeets left in the patty to hold the juices while it cooks. If you use a press or do it too tightly in your hands, as the meat cooks, and the fat melts, there is no where for the juices to collect. They run out of the patty and leave a dry burger. You will gey a much jucier pattie if you form it gently between your hands.
I hate my samsung tablet. It posted my response as paart of the original post. And it wont let me edit.

I don't know if the fresh made are better than the frozen and warmed up ones.
About the PS, lol, It's pretty fabulous. Thanks for watching the video. Actually, the quality of life is so much better it makes you want to live longer. It's healed a lot in our lives, mr bliss is 71 and I'm 62. We both feel younger than our ages. He feels late 40's early 50's and I feel like I'm in my 40's. (problems solved between the two of us: weight issues, sleeping soundly, shoulder pain, heart attack, bursitis in hips, cysts on shins, acid reflux so bad throwing up, diarrhea 6 times a day for 3 months at a time, high blood pressure, better skin, better eyesight, and neither of us takes any drugs anymore. Our taste buds adjusted quickly and we love our food.)

I hate my samsung tablet. It posted my response as paart of the original post. And it wont let me edit.
I'm not seeing that post, so I don't know how you would edit. Is it maybe still hanging around as a draft?

Oops, now I see it. :doh:

Last edited:
To make patties out of the sausage force meat, I roll it into a little ball and flatten it between the palms of my and and if it's raggedy at the edges, I smooth those out with my finger. As to reheating frozen or refrigerated, cooked, sausage patties, I find that it works better on a frying pan than in the Microwave. The important thing is not to overcook it when reheating. The leaner it is, the less likely it will reheat nicely.

In my experience, any kind of patty press is a bad thing. When I make a patty or a meatball gently in my hands, I don't press too tightly. Ther are pockeets left in the patty to hold the juices while it cooks. If you use a press or do it too tightly in your hands, as the meat cooks, and the fat melts, there is no where for the juices to collect. They run out of the patty and leave a dry burger. You will gey a much jucier pattie if you form it gently between your hands.
OK, thanks. That gives me something to try before I buy a press.

To make patties out of the sausage force meat, I roll it into a little ball and flatten it between the palms of my and and if it's raggedy at the edges, I smooth those out with my finger. As to reheating frozen or refrigerated, cooked, sausage patties, I find that it works better on a frying pan than in the Microwave. The important thing is not to overcook it when reheating. The leaner it is, the less likely it will reheat nicely.
What's "sausage force meat"? Do you mean turning links into patties? That would mean removing the skins, which I have found to be a problem and the main reason I want patties and not links.

Thanks for the tip on not overcooking. I have severtal things to try.

What's "sausage force meat"? Do you mean turning links into patties? That would mean removing the skins, which I have found to be a problem and the main reason I want patties and not links.

I misspelled it. It's "forcemeat". It's just ground meat mixed up with spices or other stuff and used in cooking, like the raw mass of meat that you mix up and use to make meatloaf. So no, I didn't mean turning links into patties. But, if you did remove the skins from links, you would be left with forcemeat.

It's European terminology. In the US we call it ground beef, ground pork, etc. In Britain, it's called forcemeat.

I misspelled it. It's "forcemeat". It's just ground meat mixed up with spices or other stuff and used in cooking, like the raw mass of meat that you mix up and use to make meatloaf. So no, I didn't mean turning links into patties. But, if you did remove the skins from links, you would be left with forcemeat.
Thanks. I guess I could have looked it up. (sigh)

Thanks. I guess I could have looked it up. (sigh)
I don't think you would have found it with my misspelling. Or, it would have made it harder.

I came across the word in a translation of a Danish recipe. They make a lot of stuff with ground beef or ground pork. They use the term "fars" a lot. They would not normally call ground meat that hadn't been mixed with something "fars". For example, once I add the egg, flour, onions, spices to some ground pork to make frikadeller, what I have is "frikadelle fars".

Do any of you know about a plant-based sausage "meat" that can legitimately claim to be close to actual meat in taste? I might like to try making sausage that way, too.

I'll probably make several pounds at a time and freeze them.

Thanks

If you freeze, you will have to freeze the balls individually on a sheet pan and then bag for storage. Otherwise, you will have a huge mass.

Or, you can go ahead and form into patties and separate with squares of parchment or wax paper, bag and freeze.

Back
Top Bottom