Skin On?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Termy

Senior Cook
Some fish filets have skin on them. People almost always take it off. For one it curls. even pan frying. The skin is nutritious so I want it on there.

The olman figured it out. What you do is fry the flesh side first completely almost, or completely. Once that it done and it didn't curl up, now it won't curl when you flip it either.

I am one of those saps who can't fry fish. He could. Decent planks of fish around here leave much to be desired, usually. The breaded ones I have found have more breading than fish.

Here's a question for the group, how come I never see skin on cod ? Are they huge or something ?

And for the record I do not like tilapia. The flavor would be tolerable I guess but the texture is not to my liking. REALLY not to my liking.

T

Here's a question for the group, how come I never see skin on cod ? Are they huge or something ?

T

It's a good question. I've been asking this question for 20 years, whenever i go to fish store, or fish section of the grocery. My issue with Cod is Kashrut. Cod is a kosher fish, and if it had skin on, I could buy in any store. Without skin, it has to be packaged and have kosher supervision markings. I love Cod, it is one of my favorite fish. :(

Atlantic cod is a large fish. They live a long time, and can grow as big as 6 feet, and weigh well over 25 pounds.

As far as possible I buy my fish with the skin ON. Then, as you say, it´s just a question of frying the fish skin side DOWN, and then finishing in the oven if necessary. A salmon steak, for example, takes around 6-7 minutes max. If you don´t like the skin, you can just leave it on the plate (or in my case, give it to the dog!)

Tilapia is not seafood! Tilapia is a fresh water fish, they are farmed, and the people who farm them don't really care about the sanitary conditions of the water they're raised in.

"As far as possible I buy my fish with the skin ON. Then, as you say, it´s just a question of frying the fish skin side DOWN..."

Down ? Well we had opposite results.

T

"Tilapia is not seafood!"

You can say that again. It could come from the sea maybe, but it is not food LOL

T

I grew up eating brook trout, and rainbow trout meticulously cleaned. it was simply dredged in flour, the pan fried on both sides until the skin was crispy, and golden brown. Beer battered fish was wildly popular in the Great lakes region. I thought the batter was always too thick, and hid the natural goodness of the fish.

One of my best ever cooked fish was made with a frozen, skin on steelhead fillet. I was feeling lazy, and hungry one night after work. I heated up about 4 inches of cooking oil in my big, flat bottom wok. When it was hot enough, I carefully lowered the still frozen fillet into the wok. I just let it fry there until I knew the flesh was cooked through. I wasn't expecting much. I removed the fish and let it drain on a wire rack over paper towels, salting both sides. When cool enough to eat, I took a bite. The skin was wonderfully crispy, like a potato chip, with no strong, fishy flavor. The flesh had a very light crispy outer texture (very thin crispy rust), with a moist and full flavor . The fish was wonderful. I would recommend this technique to all fish lovers. It would work well for any well flavored fish, such as pollock, cod, redfish, Boston Bluefish, swordfish, wild tuna, halibut, eelpout, etc. Just make sure to scale bass, perch, and walleye.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
"As far as possible I buy my fish with the skin ON. Then, as you say, it´s just a question of frying the fish skin side DOWN..."
Down ? Well we had opposite results.
T
then it sounds as if something went wrong. I always fry the fish skin side down to begin with, and then finish in the pan or in the oven. Never, ever had an issue. What oil did you use? Was the pan hot enough?

Back
Top Bottom