Smoked Sausage with Vegetables

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keltin

Washing Up
I’ve made this many times in the past, but last night was the first time I did it in a DO. This is a super simple and very tasty recipe that can be done in about an hour with only one batch of coals.

Smoked Sausage with Vegetables

Ingredients:

1 Large Smoked Sausage (such as Hillshire)
1 Bag Baby Carrots, washed and drained
1 Medium Onion, coarsely chopped
5 Medium Potatoes, peeled and cut into 1” pieces
2 Tbsp Minced garlic
1 Bottle of Beer (pale, 12 oz)
2 Tbsp oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Dutch Oven: 10”
Coals: 20 - 12 on top, 8 on bottom

Preparation:

Place the potatoes in a large boil with the onion and garlic. Add 1 Tbsp of the oil along with salt and pepper then toss the mixture to evenly coat.

Prepare the coals and place 8 under the DO and 12 on the lid. Let the DO heat for 5 minutes. Once heated, remove the lid to a safe place and add the final Tbsp of oil to the DO. Next, add the potatoes, onion and garlic mixture. Stir to distribute. Now, add the carrots and arrange them so that they rest on top of the potatoes and onions. Replace the lid and allow to cook for 35 - 40 minutes or until the potatoes are just becoming tender.

Now, Add 3/4 of the beer to the DO (the last 1/4 is for the cook!). Finally, lay the smoked sausage on top of the vegetables. Return the lid to the DO and allow to cook for another 15 – 20 minutes.

To serve, plate the vegetables on a large platter. Cut the sausage on a bias into 1/2" medallions and place the medallions on top of the vegetables and deliver the platter to the table.

Fresh corn on the cob and hot buttered rolls or biscuits go great with this.

Hmmmmm…..it could work in a crock pot. I typically cook it in the oven in a covered roasting pan. In a crock pot, you’d want to run the veggies on high for 2-3 hours (or more) till the potatoes are getting tender, then add the beer & smoked sausage on top for another hour or so.

Just guesstimates mind you, but I believe it can be done.

Sounds very good. I would think it would be very good in the crok pot. Just make sure to cook sausage first so you don't get all that grease layer on top.

We made this again last night, and this time, just to see if it would work, we added two ears of corn on the cob on top of the other veggies. It turned out great. The corn was fantastic. So, for a little extra out of this recipe, add a couple ears of corn if you like.

Nice looking recipe

That does look good - just right for the season! Thanks, another great recipe for me to copy and do - I'm getting swamped! The tag may say I'm a senior cook, but chief bottle washer would be more descriptive.:)

What we like to do when we're making a similar dish is to take half ears of corn and stand them on end around the inside edge of the pot, then fill the center with our other veggies. Works really well.

One of my favorite dishes to make with sausage is "Sausage and sauerkraut". That is the epitome of fall dishes to me.

Back
Top Bottom