Smoking Quail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith F

Cook
I am smoking my first quail in the morning. I use a homemade offset. I understand quail is lean and may dry out so I am thinking of smoking it breast down and draping some bacon over the birds. I was also thinking of running the smoker a little hot (300-325) to keep from drying the birds out. I am planning on using a mix of hardwood lump and 1yr old Lemon.
Any tips or advice?

OK made a change to the plan. I covered the quail in chicken skin instead of bacon. I did not want all that bacon flavor. I also had elk and pork ribs in the smoker at the same time to I kept the temps at 225 to 240. I sprayed with 50/50 apple juice / beer. Elk and pork were right on. The birds were a little chewy. I never had quail before so I don't know if this was normal or not.

I was told that if there were no pics then it didn't happen.

11.6.09_1.JPG

From the looks of the dates on this string I'm about two years late with my two cents but maybe my advice will help the next guy.I aslo use a side smoker and when I'm Smoking quail I always brine them first with an 1 to 3 ratio apple/ water base for a day(plus seasoning of taste,sea salt,dill weed etc.).This really helps out with the dryness issue and I actually do wrap mine in baccon.The fat melts into the meat and helps keep it moist but you do get a little of that baccon flavor so if thats not your thing than thats not your thing.I use fruit chips such as apple and cherry.I have never used lemon to smoke anything but I am very interested in trying it!225 to 240 is always my target temp.Hope this helps someone.

another 2cents. I have always grilled them and happy with results. Always figured too lean to smoke. Coca Cola or Sunkist as a marinate is good as well.

Looks mighty good. Fine job. The only quail I ever ate was fried. Now I can knock a hole in Elk. Hear it nearly as good as Moose.

Have done the cola but never sunkist.Is that for grilling,smoking or both?Gave my two cents now I got 20 questions....Damn forums!

Back
Top Bottom