Smothered Muskrat and Onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bangbang

Executive Chef
SMOTHERED MUSKRAT AND ONIONS

1 muskrat (dressed & disjointed)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/2 cup flour
3 tbsp. fat
3 large onions
1 cup sour cream
Soak muskrat overnight in salted water (1 tbsp. salt to 1 qt. water). Season with 1 tsp. salt and paprika, roll in flour, and fry in fat until browned. Cover muskrat with onions, sprinkle onions with 1/2 tsp. salt. Pour in the cream. Cover skillet tightly and simmer for 1 hour. Serves 4.

That sounds good, Bang.

I assume the onions are just sliced in rounds.

Have been looking for muskrats here in Virginia, but as much as my neighbors say they are all over the place, darned if I can find one.:p

Guess it would work fine with bunny though.

Muskrat Meat Loaf

MUSKRAT MEAT LOAF

1 1/2 lbs. ground muskrat
Water
1/4 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. salt
2 beaten eggs
1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1/3 cup dry crumbs
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup evaporated milk
1/4 minced or grated onion

Soak muskrat overnight in salted water (1 tbsp. salt to 1 qt. water). Drain, remove meat from bones, and grind. Mix ground meat thoroughly with other ingredients. Place in meat loaf dish. Place dish in pan containing hot water. Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees) for 1 1/4 - 2 hours. Serves 6-8.

BAKED STUFFED MUSKRAT WITH CARROTS

1 muskrat
3 med. potatoes
2 tbsp. butter
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. dried summer savory
1 cup finely chopped celery
2 large carrots
3 slices bacon

Clean and soak muskrat overnight in salted water (1 tbsp. salt to 1 qt. water). Cook potatoes and mash potatoes with the butter, season with 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp. pepper, savory, and celery. Fill the muskrat with this stuffing and sew it up. Rub muskrat with 1 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Place on a rack in a roasting pan witht he legs tied under the body. Place two large quartered carrots on the rack beside the muskrat. Place bacon on the back. Bake in a hot oven (400 degrees F). After 10 minutes, pour two cups of hot water over the body and continue cooking for 45 minutes. Remove bacon the last 10 minutes to brown the back. Serves 4.

Muskrat tastes like muskrat.

Muskrat flesh is fine-grained, dark red, and tender. Most connoisseurs agree that the flavor is improved by soaking overnight in a solution of 1 tbsp. salt to 1 qt. water. If the gamy taste is objectionable, soaking in the salt solution or in a weak vinegar solution--1 cup vinegar to 1 qt. water--will reduce the intensity of the taste.

</FONT>

Last edited:
Muskrats used to swim up on our property when I was living on the river. I never see them anymore. Most folks I know would be warry of eating muskrat, beaver, or most of the rodent family in general. I'm not squeamish at all, but haven't had the opportunity to try them, or squirrel. Had beaver just once and it was so heavily spiced that I couldn't taste the meat.

Would like to try any of the above listed recipes. Would if I had the chance.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

We live on a lake and have several in the area but I don't think I want to eat them. they do alot of damage to shoreline too. I suppose if your hungarey enough you will eat them.

Back
Top Bottom