Soldiers in Iraq

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill The Grill Guy

Master Chef
If anyone is interested, our Fire Department was contacted by a commander who is north of Baghdad. He is in charge of 380 soldiers there. He says that he has around 30 of them haven't even received a single piece of mail since thier deplyment there.

There are "operations bbq's" all over the country for those who are here in the states. Maybe we can shed a little BBQ thoughts and prayers over seas.

If any of you can spare a few minutes of your time to maybe write one or more of these brave soldiers, please shoot me an email and I will send you a name and address of one or more of them. Let me know how many you would like to correspond with in your email.

billthegrillguy@msn.com

I would like to say thanks to those who have responded both here and via email. You all are the greatest. I have met some of my closest friends to date in the BBQ world both here and on other forums. You all make me proud. If anyone else would like a name and address, let me know.

Hey Cappy, Becky is going to the Post Office as we speak to mail mine...she is going in to find out what the postage will be so I will forward it when I find out! :!:

ok, I was just told by a listener that the APO addresses just use regular
postage...they go to a military address in the US, and the US takes em over seas.

Got a good response...so far we've delivered the list to close to 50 listeners, some of who want the whole list!! Letters will be going out soon!

Here's a sample letter one of my listeners wrote...

PV2 Dustin Rigdon

A/2320th FAR,

1BCT, 101st ABN DIV (AASLT)

APO AE 09335

Dear Dustin,

This letter comes from a family of admirers in South Carolina. We are two "old-timers" (one in his 70's, the other in her 60's). We just want to share some of our thoughts with you, Dustin, even though we don't know each other personally.

We want to tell you how proud we are of you and your comrades, and how grateful we are for your unselfish service to us and our great country. We also want to apologize for not being able to write you sooner, because we believe you deserve to hear from everyone here at home how much you are appreciated. Yours is the most important job in today's world.

Words like, "Thank you," and "we support you," Dustin hardly say it all. I never saw any action, but in my couple of years in the army, I know how good it feels to get letters from home. We hope this letter tells you somebody cares.

We wonder what life is like there, and what you do if and when you're off duty. Is there any form of recreation? USO? Is it even possible to play ball or anything in the heat? How about cards? I remember losing a lot of dough playing poker with sharks in my outfit. I stunk!

My term in the 40's was all state-side, so we were always on the base. I try to imagine what you're doing. If there is a base or camp, do you only occupy it for mess and sleep? I don't want any military secrets--just some bits about how life is. What is contact with the residents like? Is any English spoken? Maybe you're learning their language? Our neighbors talk with us about such things, but nobody knows anyone there, so we keep guessing how you guys are making out. We'd like to hear a little from you, if you can write back sometime.

Here at Pawleys Island (near Myrtle Beach), things are quiet and peaceful. It's a laid-back small town--a far cry from NYC, where we retired from. We moved here ten years ago, and don't miss the rat race.

Where is your home town? What is it like? What did you do before enlisting? Yeah, we want to know more about who you are, and what's going on in your life, if you care to share your thoughts. Do you have access to e-mail?

And, yes, we want you home safe and sound, and we will remember the name of PV2 Dustin Rigdon in our daily prayers. God bless you, Dustin.

Sincerely,

Back
Top Bottom