Some help with my cookbook please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And now I'm going to be blunt.
IMO you are not ready for this project. You seem to lack even basic home cooking skills. Some of your information/tips you wish to share are based on myth and incorrect food science.
Then you want to run your 'recipes' past some here who are much more advanced in their cooking skills than you appear to be.
I'm not going to 'vet' each recipe you put up.
Why should we here "do it together" to teach you home cooking 101?
This will be my last post to you on this subject.
BTW. When you use pepper on meat like beef and sear the meat the volatile oils in the pepper scorch easily and add a bitter back-note to the flavor of the meat.
Baking soda will not remove the bitterness.

And now I'm going to be blunt.
IMO you are not ready for this project. You seem to lack even basic home cooking skills. Some of your information/tips you wish to share are based on myth and incorrect food science.
Then you want to run your 'recipes' past some here who are much more advanced in their cooking skills than you appear to be.
I'm not going to 'vet' each recipe you put up.
Why should we here "do it together" to teach you home cooking 101?
This will be my last post to you on this subject.
BTW. When you use pepper on meat like beef and sear the meat the volatile oils in the pepper scorch easily and add a bitter back-note to the flavor of the meat.
Baking soda will not remove the bitterness.

I have close to 1000 people on Facebook that all ready want to buy my book.

When I was 28 I produced a film for Columbia and was probably the youngest producer in the world to produce a feature film of a major studio.

Michael P. Redbourn - IMDb

I am not afraid to go out to try things and never have been.

Let me be blunt too, and I came her in a very friendly way.

Your problem is not with my recipe but because I intend to publish a book.

Please give me a link to cookery a cookbook or books that you published and I might buy one.

You are attempting to turn something very innocent into something very ugly which is very sad.

Last edited:
Just call the recipe "Beef Stew". Potatoes, carrots and celery are normal components of beef stew.

I checked about potatoes absorbing salt and you are correct in a sense and I thank you for the comment.

The way that they reduce salt is by adding more bulk to the meal and anything that adds bulk will do the same thing.

I removed the comment from the recipe.

Difference Between Bicarbonate and Baking Soda

Difference Between Bicarbonate and Baking Soda | Difference Between | Bicarbonate vs Baking Soda

What do you think?

Hey, I came here to learn and to try and make the recipes in my book the best that they can be, so let's all do that together ;-)

Michael

My point is that bicarbonate of soda, the official name for baking soda (see your article) does not reduce bitterness. It reduces acidity.

I tried to incorporate all the helpful comments, and the recipe below is the new version.

@jennyema suggested that it would be possible to cook this without using both a frying pan and a pot but it's not clear how I can do this without changing a main part of the recipe.

It would be possible of course to brown the meat in the pot and then set it aside on a plate, but that would hardly reduce the washing up. Of course it reduces washing up. One less pot to wash (pots being worse thanplates). Simpler, too. And the standard procedure for making a stew.

Comments.

The photo is my first attempt with my new camera which arrived yesterday and I still have to learn what all the buttons do.

https://justpaste.it/jvzx

Thanks for all the feedback :)

Michael

Beef Potato Carrot And Celery Stew Just call it Beef Stew as Andy suggests. 99.9% ofall basic beef stew recipes use potatoes and carrots.

Prep: 15 min There is NO WAY the prep will get done in 15 minutes
Cook: 2:10 min - depends on tenderness of the meat.
Total Time: 2:35 min

Serves 4 to 6

Level: Intermediate

Ingredients

1 kg / 2 1/2 lb of beef chuck, cut into 2" cubes I'd also suggest trimming the chuck
600g / 1 1/4 lb of medium red potatoes, quartered
7-8 whole, peeled tomatoes, lightly crushed - canned or fresh Again, how can anyone know how many tomatos are in a can? You've just made the recipe impossible to follow if using canned, which most people including myself will.
4 medium carrots, cut into 5cm / 2" pieces All your vegetables seem too large in size to me. That will affect cooking time
2 celery stalks, cut into 5cm / 2" pieces
2 medium onions, cut into 6ths - cut from top to bottom into thirds and then cut the thirds in half
About 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour
Beef or vegetable broth to half cover the meat How is a beginner cook going to know how much beef broth to buy? Again you've made the recipe unapproachable
5 cloves of minced garlic using a garlic press You do notuse a garlic press to mince garlic
1 tbsp of tomato paste
6 sprigs of fresh parsley or two tsp of dried
6 sprigs of fresh thyme - or 3/4 tsp of dried
2 bay leaves
2 to 3 tsp of red wine vinegar, or to taste
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Olive or vegetable oil, for searing
Optional - 2 tbsp of unsalted butter

The Method

Season the beef with the salt and pepper and fry in a frying pan over a medium high heat until browned on all sides.
In a pot (with a tightly fitting lid) that's large enough to hold all of the ingredients, fry the the onion over medium heat in either olive oil or oil and butter, if using, until lightly browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Do you really want to brown the onion? That can make the stew bitter. Most recipes would sweat the opnion till translucent
Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until it's fragrant, about 1 minute more, being careful not to let it burn.
Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring for a minute or so more.
Add the beef with its juices to the pot and sprinkle enough flour to lightly coat the top of the meat, and cook stirring for another two to three minutes.
Add enough water or broth to cover about one half of the meat and bring to a simmer. Again, how can you cover half the meat? The right half or the left half? You are so much better off just telling them exactly how much liquid to use
If using fresh herbs, then tie the parsley, thyme, and bay leaves together with a piece of kitchen twine and add the bundle to the pot.
Or add the dry herbs and the bay leaf.
Season with 2 teaspoons of salt, and some black pepper, or to taste.
Cover the pot and simmer for around an hour, checking to see if you need to add more stock or water.
Check the tenderness of the meat by pushing a fork into it. The fork should pass through it but the meat shouldn't break up. Continue cooking for a little longer if necessary.
Add the potatoes, carrots, celery and tomatoes, and bring back to a simmer.
Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for around an hour more.
Remove the lid and increase the heat until the liquid thickens and the vegetables are tender.
Discard the herb bundle if you used fresh, or remove the bay leaf if you used dry.
Stir in the vinegar and season with a little more salt and pepper, to taste.

* Extra virgin olive oil burns more easily and is much more expensive. Regular virgin olive oil is fine.
* If using fresh tomatoes then please see the tips section on how to easily peel them.
* Many tomatoes can cause a bitter taste, so if the sauce tastes bitter then add a touch of bicarbonate of soda or sugar or both. Neither bicarbonate of soda or sugar reduces bitterness. Baking soda chemically reduces acidity. Sugar masks acidity but doesn't reduce it. Baking soda is bitter and can lend an off taste.
* Brining the meat will make it much more tender and might cut down on cooking time depending on how long you brined it. I only brine the meat for this dish for about 20-30 minutes. Brining anything but shrimp for 20 minutes is useless from a physics standpoint. Brining beef for a braised dish is also completely pointless. Also the salt absorbed by the beef will be given up into the liquid when its braised so the gravy will likely be salty.
* See the tips section on how to brine. A lab test showed that brining adds about 1/8 of a teaspoon of what? to each serving of meat and almost double that for chicken.

Again, hope this helps!:chef:

Last edited:
I think that link is incorrect. In cooking, baking soda is sodium bicarbonate.

I agree 100% but was harshly criticized earlier for saying sodium bicarbonate instead of baking soda.

I obviously opened myself to the criticism of my recipe when I posted and I welcome the positive suggestions, but am saddened at nasty attacks when I am only seeking help.

Thanks

Michael

I agree 100% but was harshly criticized earlier for saying sodium bicarbonate instead of baking soda.

I obviously opened myself to the criticism of my recipe when I posted and I welcome the positive suggestions, but am saddened at nasty attacks when I am only seeking help.

Thanks

Michael

I never criticized you for that, but you might be better off using the food name for a chemical, rather than the chemical name.

In the US a beginner cook would have no idea what sodium bicarbonate is. Perhaps its different elsewhere.

Last edited:
That article talks about bicarbonate vs baking soda. It says that the chemical formula of bicarbonate is HCO3. That's not the same thing as baking soda which is sodium bicarbonate, NaHCO3. I don't think you can have just plain bicarbonate except in a solution with something else. I'm pretty sure most people don't have any straight HCO3 in their kitchen.

That article talks about bicarbonate vs baking soda. It says that the chemical formula of bicarbonate is HCO3. That's not the same thing as baking soda which is sodium bicarbonate, NaHCO3. I don't think you can have just plain bicarbonate except in a solution with something else. I'm pretty sure most people don't have any straight HCO3 in their kitchen.

I agree. That's a very confusing and misleading article.

Red Mike, the picture is lovely. But why is the gravy orange? I have never seen beef stew with orange gravy. It has always been a deep dark brown. The color of the meat.

I admire your desire to go out on a new adventure. But are you sure your knowledge is sufficient for this? First off, your "method" is difficult to read. Each step should have a space from the previous step. And each step should be numbered. It makes it a lot easier to read. Go to the library and look at some of the most popular cook books like the "Joy of Cooking". This book has been around since the early 30's and just grows in popularity due to the directions along with the recipe itself. It is an easy read for the cook.

I often will copy a recipe from this forum for my own file.

Meatloaf

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Ingredients:
2 pound(s) GROUND BEEF; Lean.
1 clove(s) GARLIC; Minced.
1 package(s) (6 ounce) STUFFING MIX; Any Flavor.
1 envelope(s) BEEFY ONION SOUP MIX
2 EGGS
2 cup(s) CHEDDAR CHEESE; Grated.
1 3/4 cup(s) WATER

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, combine ground beef, garlic, stuffing mix, beefy onion soup mix, eggs, cheese and water. Mix well.

2. Press meat mixture into a large loaf pan; I used a 9 5/8 x 5 1/2 x 2 3/4 loaf pan with a jelly roll pan under it to catch any spill over.

3. Bake covered for 1 hour.

4. Remove cover and continue to bake for 30 more minutes or until meat loaf is done.

5. Cooking time may vary depending on the size of baking dish being used.

As You can see it makes for easier reading. This doesn't show it, but I centered with bold and underling. I did the same with the Directions. Only I didn't center it.

Any time I have a recipe that is going in the oven, preheating the oven is the very first thing I write down. Any home cook knows this.

For your beef stew, you seem to determined to say "halfway up". You need to measure just how much liquid you put in your pot. Even if the meat that the reader is using is larger or smaller, it gives them an approximate amount to expect to use. You also didn't state how much your piece of meat weighed. If you noticed in the meatloaf recipe, the weight was the first thing mentioned in the first item of ingredients.

Your presentation of the recipe and the directions needs a lot of work to make it readable. :angel:

Last edited:
You have asterisks at the end of your recipe. You need one also at the item you are referring to. And the proper way to do it is to increase each item with additional asterisks.

Olive oil* One asterisk in the very first mention of olive oil.
If using fresh tomatoes....** There should also be two Asterisks after the tomatoes.
Brining the meat......*** There should be three asterisks after the brining also when brining is first mention. :angel:

Red Mike, the picture is lovely. But why is the gravy orange? I have never seen beef stew with orange gravy. It has always been a deep dark brown. The color of the meat.

I was wondering about the orange gravy too ... It looked greasy to me.

It also sure didn't look like it was made from the recipe as posted.

Any time I have a recipe that is going in the oven, preheating the oven is the very first thing I write down. Any home cook knows this.

For your beef stew, you seem to determined to say "halfway up". You need to measure just how much liquid you put in your pot. Even if the meat that the reader is using is larger or smaller, it gives them an approximate amount to expect to use. You also didn't state how much your piece of meat weighed. If you noticed in the meatloaf recipe, the weight was the first thing mentioned in the first item of ingredients.

Your presentation of the recipe and the directions needs a lot of work to make it readable. :angel:

Actually while I've never seen a beef stew recipe that called for liquid to half submerge the meat, I have seen it stated like that for some very good braising recipes (like short ribs or shanks). In such a case it is not necessary to specify an exact quantity since it's more important to have the right proportion of meat above the cooking liquid.

However, for stew you typically want a reasonable proportion of gravy or broth to the solid content, and as such I would tend to agree that a specific quantity should be stated, with the qualifier that the cook can adjust it for personal preference.

Yes, again with a qualifier: If the prep requires an excessive amount of time, then the oven should not be started until about 15 minutes before the dish is to be placed in it. Also, for many dishes, like a stew, preheating is not really necessary and just wastes energy. I only worry about preheating when I'm baking, or when I'm doing a high temperature sear on a roast or some similar operation.

Last edited:
Actually while I've never seen a beef stew recipe that called for liquid to half submerge the meat, I have seen it stated like that for some very good braising recipes (like short ribs or shanks). In such a case it is not necessary to specify an exact quantity since it's more important to have the right proportion of meat above the cooking liquid.

However, for stew you typically want a reasonable proportion of gravy or broth to the solid content, and as such I would tend to agree that a specific quantity should be stated, with the qualifier that the cook can adjust it for personal preference.

Yes, again with a qualifier: If the prep requires an excessive amount of time, then the oven should not be started until about 15 minutes before the dish is to be placed in it. Also, for many dishes, like a stew, preheating is not really necessary and just wastes energy. I only worry about preheating when I'm baking, or when I'm doing a high temperature sear on a roast or some similar operation.

You are so right. I am not sure why he is cooking it in the oven though when it would be easier to do it stove top, But that is just my personal preference. You can keep your eye on it easier. Most of the work is done long before it is ready for the oven. :angel:

Micheal I applaud your undertaking - a cook book is a big job and an interesting process. You get better at it as you go along.

I recently started making a cookbook for my family - a compilation of all their favorite recipes from my kitchen that will be bound and given as gifts. The biggest challenge for me was to find a page layout that worked and could be used consistently throughout. I thought I'd share a page of it with you so you can see what I like in a cookbook:

Ingredients list in one place in an orderly manner
a picture of the dish
basic assembly instructions
a tips and tricks section.​

Pages in my book are 8 x 8 and laid out so that the ingredients list is always on the outside of the page, the pages are mirrored layout wise.

dc_cake.jpg

I think that s you get further into your project you'll find your stride.

Last edited:
Michael--do you have professional cooking or recipe development experience? If you want to write a cookbook for family and friends, including tips is a great idea. However, if you want to break into the cookbook arena, I think you need to team up with a professional chef/caterer.

Michael--do you have professional cooking or recipe development experience? If you want to write a cookbook for family and friends, including tips is a great idea. However, if you want to break into the cookbook arena, I think you need to team up with a professional chef/caterer.

Excellent advice Michael. I realize that you want your book to be more about tips than recipes. But cooking tips in and of themselves, can be a whole book alone with or without a complete recipe.

Such as: Under the letter "B" would be

Braising- Simmering meat or vegetables in a liquid until fork tender. (See recipe for Beef Stew)

With a professional chef that person could guide you as to just how a publisher would expect a book to be written and laid out. And it is the publisher who will have the last word. Sometimes if the publisher decides to publish a book, it may be sent back to the author several times for corrections and changes. :angel:

I hope that Redmike wasn't run off by the offputting comments made by a couple of responders. He hasn't been back this week as far as I've seen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom