Somebody stop me from buying this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agri-Supply in Garner and Florence SC has the 20 gallon in stock.

Lumberton NC has the 25 gallon in stock at $149.95.

The 20 gallon is showing to be $134.95 including shipping. I asked to be double sure this was for the cast iron stew pot. If you pick it up in store it should be around $85.00

Agri-Supply Lumberton NC 800.277.0062 (if you want the 25 gallon).

53289.jpg

* 20 Gal.
* 3-footed
* 2-handled
* Carry hooks included
* Will hold 18 gallons to top
* Dimensions: 14-1/2" high, 24" wide, 20 gallons

**UPS shipping charges are included in the price.

http://www.agrisupplyco.com/cgi-bin/cgiitmls?m=ThisP&p=53289.000000&l=81

Drive a little and save a bunch.

Chiles

done deal, just reserved the last one in Florence at Agri supply, going
tomorrow at lunch time to pick it up. Might meet Rev there for lunch and to pick up another supply of sauce.

Chiles and BobBquer have been a lot of help...I tell you what, the folks
on these internet bbq boards are the best people anywhere!

Check it over to make sure you don't think the bottom is too thin, there will always be casting imperfections. that is just the nature of these things. I call the casting marks in mine flavor savors or just charicter

Let me know when you are ready to season it. I'll be sending pictures of the jacket soon as well. If they sell a lid for it, go ahead and pick that up too.

Chiles

they don't...I'm gonna check the brand and order that and a paddle
from the maker....nobody sells any Virginia hickory paddles down here! :cry:

Captain Morgan said:
they don't...I'm gonna check the brand and order that and a paddle
from the maker....nobody sells any Virginia hickory paddles down here! :cry:

Theres plenty of folks here with BIG paddles! ;) Hey Cappy, I just found out I'll be coming down in April the night before (Wednesday). Any chance of getting together for dinner?

Chiles said:
Agri-Supply in Garner and Florence SC has the 20 gallon in stock.

Lumberton NC has the 25 gallon in stock at $149.95.

The 20 gallon is showing to be $134.95 including shipping. I asked to be double sure this was for the cast iron stew pot. If you pick it up in store it should be around $85.00

Agri-Supply Lumberton NC 800.277.0062 (if you want the 25 gallon).

53289.jpg

* 20 Gal.
* 3-footed
* 2-handled
* Carry hooks included
* Will hold 18 gallons to top
* Dimensions: 14-1/2" high, 24" wide, 20 gallons

**UPS shipping charges are included in the price.

http://www.agrisupplyco.com/cgi-bin/cgiitmls?m=ThisP&p=53289.000000&l=81

Drive a little and save a bunch.

Chiles

did it today...got it for 85 bucks. (20 gallon)
also picked up a wooden paddle and a ladle.
Time to season it...any thing different for something this big?

Captain Morgan said:
did it today...got it for 85 bucks. (20 gallon)
also picked up a wooden paddle and a ladle.
Time to season it...any thing different for something this big?

Cappy, and old dear friend of mine (God rest his soul) use to make apple butter in a large pot like that. He would put an open roll of penny's in the bottom to keep it from sticking. They use to come out very shinny and the apple butter was the best I have ever had.

Here are the pictues of the stew pot jacket. Sorry about the quality of the pictures. I took them with the cell phone this morning.

img_88823_0_84da2c0411bcb0610a1fefaf05d22918.jpg

img_88823_1_e715ff7b1dc15aac7db9a2086c3d7dda.jpg

img_88823_2_2237d1216d8ffd3b8afa8e03685dc841.jpg

img_88823_3_ccbd4e692d966fd1a34f7ce25e39fe59.jpg

My brother makes these out of 16GA steel. With the hinged door and the cut outs they run about $200. The real trick we have found is that he uses 1/4 inch stock to weld to the top and it follows the curvature of the pot perfectly. this also gives a space for the hot air to go all the way to the top of the pot and greatly reduces cooking time. You can see the holes drilled at the top that allow the heat to escape. The burner needs to breath, but not so much as to lose heat. We started with no holes drilled and noticed that the flame started to turn all yellow pretty quickly. Once we cut a few holes near the top, the flame stayed blue and the heating time really increased. Our cooking time has gone from 7 hours to 5 with this design.

Chiles

I think you could take your pot to any sheet metal shop and they could roll you one pretty quick. Each pot is different so making one here and shipping it would be risky.

I just made a call for you. Take your pot to:

Owens Steel & Machine Works
808 Seaboard St
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
Contact Owens Steel & Machine Works
Phone: (843) 448-5050

If you have a relationship with another welding place, use them.

I talked to William Owens and they can fit you in. The labor rates are 60.00 and it should take about three hours plus materials. Make sure you explain the 1/4 inch round stock that lines the top of the jacket. the handles on the jacket can be made from any scrap or just bent 1/2 inch round stock. You don't really need a hinged door (I did that for inspecting the burner) but it is nice and may cost a little extra.

The burner should be pretty close to the bottom of the pot for cooking. You can see that I have made mine so the burner can lift out so I can use it in other things. The rack height for the burner was determined once the jacket was made and the pot was in place. Paint it with high heat spray paint and it will last a long, long time. We have jackets that are 20 plus years old with no signs of wear.

When I seasoned the pot, I put the jacket on bricks and set the burner under the jacket so it acted more like an oven then direct heat on the pot.

keep the questions coming.

Chiles

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Greg Rempe":28evxwm9]He cooked apple butter with pennies on the bottom?? :shock:

He wanted to get his 2 cents worth! :roll:[/quote:28evxwm9]

ya beat me to it !!! :LOL:

Good Luck with it Cappy...

Chiles said:
I think you could take your pot to any sheet metal shop and they could roll you one pretty quick. Each pot is different so making one here and shipping it would be risky.

I just made a call for you. Take your pot to:

Owens Steel & Machine Works
808 Seaboard St
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
Contact Owens Steel & Machine Works
Phone: (843) 448-5050

If you have a relationship with another welding place, use them.

I talked to William Owens and they can fit you in. The labor rates are 60.00 and it should take about three hours plus materials. Make sure you explain the 1/4 inch round stock that lines the top of the jacket. the handles on the jacket can be made from any scrap or just bent 1/2 inch round stock. You don't really need a hinged door (I did that for inspecting the burner) but it is nice and may cost a little extra.

The burner should be pretty close to the bottom of the pot for cooking. You can see that I have made mine so the burner can lift out so I can use it in other things. The rack height for the burner was determined once the jacket was made and the pot was in place. Paint it with high heat spray paint and it will last a long, long time. We have jackets that are 20 plus years old with no signs of wear.

When I seasoned the pot, I put the jacket on bricks and set the burner under the jacket so it acted more like an oven then direct heat on the pot.

keep the questions coming.

Chiles

Couldn't you just have ordered it, paid for it, and had it shipped to me? :D

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom