Soup Season, anyone got any upcoming soup plans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Something fun to do is to make "crackers" too. I used pie crust to make these for Chicken Pot Pie Soup...

51000701763_e6e3e76207.jpg

Have to say Beef/Mushroom Barley and Onion Soups are my favourites. When I was in my own kitchen,
Cream of Cauliflower,
Cream of Leek,
Cream of Potato
Cream of Leek and Potato Soups were always made.
Plus the squashes. All the cream soups.
Not a big fan of clear soups, as in Vegetable, Minestrone, etc. Other than Chicken Noodle which I rarely make from scratch but I use a lot as broth for Won Tons Soups and ramen soups.
Other than that I can't say I'm a soup person, don't think I've made any of them since moving.

Correction: did make Mushroom Barley last fall and will do again soon.

I recently have made:

loaded baked potato soup
pinto bean soup
vegetable beef
green chile chicken stew

Want to make:

corn chowder
onion soup
chicken noodle

With a lot of soups, I use my own chicken broth. Need to can more broth..

I highly recommend this soup recipe: Asian Chicken Noodle Soup - extra ginger doesn't hurt either, if one is ailing.
Copied this one! Last week, during a hand of bridge, someone mentioned they had just bought a ginger grater. I mentioned I keep chunks of ginger in vodka in the refrigerator. Someone else mentioned she saw ginger martini's in our future. I went home and made one and it was quite tasty. Ginger is very versatile! Thanks for the recipe.

I recently have made:

loaded baked potato soup
pinto bean soup
vegetable beef
green chile chicken stew

Want to make:

corn chowder
onion soup
chicken noodle

With a lot of soups, I use my own chicken broth. Need to can more broth..
Ooh! I haven't made your Green Chile Chicken Stew in a while ... I have all of the ingredients ... love that one!

I make chicken soup every fall. My chimney style soup pot holds ten pounds of leg quarters. When I finish removing the chicken meat and cooking out the bone marrow, there's plenty of room for the herbs and vegetables. All most sure the background will be rice this year.

Speaking of Soup ...
IMG_2252.JPG
... it's what's for dinner tonight!
Shoyu Saimin, yes, Saimin, it's unique to Hawaii and different from Ramen.
This what we in Hawaii call Won Ton Mein Deluxe, lots of goodies.
S&S brand Saimin
Trader Joe's Pork and Veggie Dumplings
Baby Bok Choi
homemade Char Siu or Chinese BBQ Pork and Kamaboko or Japanese style steamed Fish Cake
lots of chopped Green Onions all in a Shoyu Dashi or Broth :clap:

Hi @Uncle Bob! Good to see you!

I made that vat of mushroom barley a week ago. Froze a quart to take to Goober, which we delivered today. Once we're back in MA, I'll make a couple of big pots of freezable soup so that I have quick meals to pull out. I have some shrimp to use, and while the recipe calls for small ones, I'll just cut the bigger ones up into three segments: Original Shrimp Soup

We also like a butternut soup that I make that calls for chicken or veggie soup. I like it with chicken, but the neighbor can't eat chicken anything (nor eggs). I've been looking for a butternut soup with mostly coconut milk but no curry seasonings. No luck yet.

Others on the list will be cheesy broccoli soup, cream of mushroom, cream of chicken and wild rice (Himself's maybe? favorite), along with others.

I also make soup all year. My favorites are:
Chicken
Split pea and ham
Lentil
New England clam
Beef

chimney style soup pot
I'm curious. Please, would it be possible to post a picture?

Have also saved that Asian Chicken Noodle, thanks Ginny.
LOL another ingredient not listed... WATER, 3 cups of it. or wait! water isn't an ingredient, is it. so many recipes seem to think they don't need to be listed. So much for mis en place... LOL

Last edited:
I'm curious. Please, would it be possible to post a picture?

Have also saved that Asian Chicken Noodle, thanks Ginny.
LOL another ingredient not listed... WATER, 3 cups of it. or wait! water isn't an ingredient, is it. so many recipes seem to think they don't need to be listed. So much for mis en place... LOL
Sorry no picture. It's the tall narrow one usually sold in grocery stores. It fits on a medium burner. Since it's straight up, there's not much heat loss. I paid $14 for it two years ago.

Soup! I love it. Made Turkish Lentil soup yesterday. So easy, so frugal.

We just got back from 2 weeks in Turkey and ate a lot of lentil soup. Had some fabulous bowls and some forgettable ones. Their lentil soup is much thinner than most American versions. Do you have a recipe ?

I make lentil, split pea, black bean, Thai-style butternut squash, French onion, vegetable, corn chowder, Tom khar gai all the time.

so I plan to branch out by cooking myself through The New England Soup Factory cookbook this winter. Their soups are always interesting and delicious. I highly recommend the cookbook. The owner/author started/invented Boston Chicken.

im also going to dig up Charlie’s borscht recipe. And find a good Polish dill pickle soup recipe, too.

Back
Top Bottom