Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anonymous

Senior Cook
Does anyone have some recipes from other countries for soup. I need 2 recipes or more of soup for the Midwest United States Winters. All I make now is chicken soup, and vegetable soup. Thank you! :roll:

Soopadee-doo-dah!

:idea:

Ham and Navy Bean Soup

Navy beans
Ham
Carrots
Celery
Onions
Ham base
Roux
Cream

A good, hearty soup for cold weather. I left out seasonings, because its pretty basic. Some cooks add flour dumplings.

Split Pea Soup

Same recipe as above, actually, only switching split peas for navy beans and cutting back on the ham. The flavor is somewhat more delicate, and should be seasoned cautiously.

:) Bone appetite!

soup

Here's some that I do at work. Let me know which one u want:

Roasted Kabocha Pumpkin and Ginger Soup with Crispy Leeks and Creme Fraiche

Roasted Garlic Soup with Iranian Osetra Caviar and Truffle Essence

Savoy Cabbage and Pancetta Soup with Caramelized Red Onion and Hominy "Crostini"

Wild Mushroom Chowder with Speck and Porcini Essence

Gingered-Tomato "Manhattan" Seafood Chowder with Atlantic Salmon, Prince Edward Island Mussels, and Manila Clams

Stardust, a simple "Google.com" search for "soup recipes" will give you more recipes than you can make in a year.

I agree with Old Coot about the search but I know you probably want some tried and true ones too. The Sausage and Cabbage soup below the Lion's Head Soup is one that we never get tired of and you can vary it according to taste - like add kidney beans or canellini beans, green beans, sliced zucchini, fresh basil, cubed potatoes, corn, etc. I couldn't find any turkey sausage and we like a hearty sausage flavor so I normally use kielbasa unless we have some Andouille, which is fairly spicy if you need to take kids into consideration.

Just re-read your post and you did mention soups from "other" countries - so here is another favorite -

This is a Shanghai casserole which I make into a soup -

Lion's Head Meatball Soup
Serves 4-6

MEATBALL INGREDIENTS
1 lb. ground pork
1 slice giner, minced
3 scallions, cut into thin slices
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp salt or to taste
1 tsp sugar
1 TBS sherry (regular drinking dry sherry - not cooking sherry)
1 TBS light soy sauce
1/2 TBS cornstarch
black or white pepper to taste

3 cups chicken stock (1 cup of you are just doing the casserole)
**to the broth I add about 3 TBS soy sauce, 3 TBS sherry and more chopped scallions
1 lb. bok choy, thoroughly washed of dirt and cut into bite-size pieces
3 TBS oil to be used for cooking

Put ground pork in bowl and add all of the meatball ingredients mixing by hand, moving in one direction. Kind of like you are folding everything in as you would do with a mousse. When everything is mixed form into about 2-inch meatballs. Cook meatballs on medium heat until they are golden brown. They do not have to be done. (If you are doing the casserole you can make 4 large meatballs if you want them big) Drain on paper towels. ***if doing casserole place bok choy on bottom of casserole dish, place meatballs on top, add stock and for 4 large meatballs cook 1 to 1 1/2 hours).

Heat the stock adding the soy sauce, sugar, sherry, and any other seasonongs you think would be right. Once heated put bok choy on the bottom of the pan, place meatballs on top and simmer for about 45 minutes to 1 hour - depending on how large you made your meatballs. If the meatballs are really small then I would heat the stock and bok choy for awhile then add the smaller meatballs. (This isn't hard at all I just get "wordy" in my directions :oops:

Here is a link to some endless possibilities - http://www.cooksrecipes.com/soups/soup-recipes.html

SAUSAGE AND CABBAGE SOUP

12 oz. turkey sausage (or kielbasa)
2 tsp. oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 leek halved lengthways and thinly sliced
2 carrots halved and thinly sliced
14 oz. can chopped tomatoes
12 oz. young green cabbage, cored and coarsely shredded
1-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
pinch of dried thyme
6 1/4 cups fresh chicken or meat stock
salt and pepper
top with Parmesan

NOTE: I did not have any fresh chicken or meat stock so I used about 1 TBS of chicken base. You can also use 1 bouillon cube - but only use 1 as this is a rather clean-tasting broth versus heavy chicken or beef flavor.

Slice and sauté sausages in your pot. When almost done add the onion, leek, and carrots and cook about 4 minutes, stirring frequently. When onions begin to soften add your can of tomatoes and use the liquid from that to deglaze the pan being sure to get up all the brown collected on the bottom of the pot. Then add cabbage, garlic, and stock. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and cook gently, partially covered, for about 1 hour or until the vegetables are tender.

Taste soup, adjust seasonings, and serve with grated Parmesan cheese for topping.
[/url]

i live in the midwest and i have a soup recipe--does that count?
here's one that's based on my mother's recipe, but I've added a lot of stuff to give it a little more 'kick' (not to mention make it less healthy :evil: ):

Potato Soup

2 large baking potatoes
8 slices bacon
2 tsp parsley
2 cans evaporated milk (24 oz.)
1/2 cup 2% milk
1 tbsp sour cream
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tbsp butter
1 to 2 tbsp creole seasoning
1 tsp thyme
2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp black pepper

1. Wash potatoes under cold running water. Chop potatoes into 1/2” – 3/4” cubes (peel first, if desired) and place into large pot. Cover potatoes in water, and boil on high until soft (but not mushy).
2. Meanwhile, cook bacon slices. Drain on paper towels. After cool, crumble bacon into small pieces in a bowl. Set aside.
3. When potatoes are done, drain in a colander, and place potatoes back in pot. Add all ingredients except the bacon and parsley, and stir together over medium-high heat, bringing contents to a boil. Stir often to keep bottom from burning. After cheese and butter have melted, reduce heat to low, and continue stirring for 5-10 minutes.
4. Ladle soup into bowls, and sprinkle bacon and parsley on top. Serve with crackers.

This was my lunch today. Delicious!! The tequila (neat) went perfectly with the soup and freshly deep fried corn tortilla chips. And that hefty squeeze of lime juice into the soup at the last moment is absolutely essential!
(Authenticiity note: even that table is a ca 1930 Monterey that I've had all that time. All else was "hecho in Mexico") :)

SOPA de ALBONDIGAS
(MEXICAN MEATBALL SOUP

SOPAALBONDIGAS.JPG

INGREDIENTS;

1 ½ lbs Ground Beef
¼ cup Flour (All purpose)
2 Eggs
6 cups Chicken Broth
4 cups Beef Broth
1 tsp Oregano leaves, fresh
(dry may be substituted)
1 med Spanish Onion, coarsely chopped
2 tsp Chili powder
5 Carrots, thinly sliced
¼ cup Rice, long grain white
1/3 cup Cilantro, fresh, chopped
¾ lb Spinach leaves,
3 Mexican or Key Limes, cut
4 Into wedges.

DIRECTIONS:

In a large bowl, mix beef, flour, eggs, and ½ cup chicken broth, set aside.
In an 8 quart pot, combine remaining chicken broth, beef broth, oregano, onions and chili powder. Bring to a boil over high heat, then heat to low. Shape meat mixture into 1 to 1 ½ in balls and drop into broth. Simmer uncovered (skim off fat or foam) for 5 minutes. Add carrots, rice, and cilantro. Simmer uncovered until carrots and rice are tender (about 20 minutes.).
Discard spinach stems and cut leaves crosswise into thin shreds, add spinach to soup and simmer 5 more minutes.

Pour into bowls, sprinkle with chopped cilantro leaves, offer lime wedges. Serves 6-8

This recipe is a favourite in our family. It's called curried carrot and apple soup.

You'll need:
- 2lbs carrots, sliced
- 2 green apples (such as Granny Smith), diced
- Itbsp curry powder, hot or mild according to your taste
- 1 large onion, chopped
- chicken broth (enough to cover the veggies)
- salt to taste
- 1tbsp oil

Haet the oil. Fry your curry powder for a couple of minutes. Add chopped onion and stir fry until transparent. Add carrots and apples + salt. Cook for about 10 minutes (you'll need to stir the vegetables frequently). Add the broth and cook until vegetables are tender. Blend until smooth. Voilà! It's quick, quite tasty and guaranteed to keep you warm on winter days.

One of my favorite things is curry anything!! - I will have to make this soon. Thanks so much for the recipe. I make this sausage, apple soup and I can't wait to try it with the curry for a change!!

If you like curry anything you may like this one. It's called curried salmon soup. You can use another type of fish, of course.

I must apologize for some of my tentative instructions. It's just that I'm quite familiar with these recipes and tend to make them from memory, and I suddenly find myself wondering how much of this or that am I using. Also, are you familiar with European measurements or do you need me to convert in oz and tsp and things. I'll do my best.

For this soup, you'll need:

-some butter
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 medium size potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1lb salmon cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 small carton cream (a little over a cup)
- 50cl water (about 2cups)
- 1tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 small can creamed coconut
- 15 cl white wine (about 2/3 cup)
- parsley, chopped
- salt

Put enough butter in a cooking pot to cook the onions on low heat for about 5 min (until they soften). Add curry powder. Fry for 1 more min.
Add the water, wine, creamed coconut and salt. Bring to boil until smooth. Add potatoes and simmer until almost cooked through. They can't be allowed to break down . Add fish and simmer for about 3 min. Stir in cream. Garnish with parsley.

Could I have the sausage and apple soup recipe in exchange? It sounds delicious. :)

YUM that sounds wonderful balibar - for the

SAUSAGE AND APPLE SOUP

1 large onion, chopped
2-3 carrots - 1" pieces
2-3 celery stalks
zucchini (optional)
cabbage (optional)
andouille sausage if you like spicy
favorite smoked sausage otherwise

chicken broth, vegetable broth, beef broth, or water
(sometimes I use a combination but whatever I do I usually add about 1/2-1 cup white wine You want the broth to more than cover everything

butter
salt/pepper
fresh or dried thyme

Cook sausage first in the pot you will be using - I slice in about 1/2" pieces, then remove sausage and saute all veggies in the oil left from the sausage (you may need to remove some of the oil - I like my veggies slightly carmelized). Once slightly carmelized add your liquid of choice and being sure to deglaze the pot. Add your herbs and let simmer until veggies are almost done then add cored, chopped apple, (I usually peel). Cook until apple is done.

I have on occasion stirred in a little pesto when done.

I know this is not much of a "recipe" but I know you'll understand since you write your recipes the same way ;)

Thanks so much for your contribution and I am looking forward to more (as is everyone else!!!!!)

balibar

Thank you, Kitchenelf. I'll try it this very week. It's really nice to meet new people and exchange recipes.

Here's another favorite that I forgot about until I started looking through my recipes - (how could anything with a pound of bacon in it be bad??) :P

Italian Bean Soup

1/2 of a small bag of dried navy beans (about 1 1/4 cups dried)
1# smoked bacon, cut in squares
2 TBS brown sugar (not tightly packed)
1 large white onion, chopped
2 heads of garlic, roasted
5 cups water
fresh cilantro
1 TBS dried oregano
1 TBS dried basil
1 TBS dried parsley

To roast garlic cut off tops, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Wrap tightly in aluminum foil and place in 350 F. about 45 minutes. Squeeze out garlic cloves directly into bean mixture before cooking. Sauté onions, bacon and brown sugar until onion is soft. Do not remove the bacon fat unless there is an excess amount. Add water.

Add the fresh cilantro and the dried herbs and roasted garlic. Cook at 15# pressure. When pressure reaches high, turn down and rock gently for 15-20 minutes. If beans are under cooked you can always put lid back on and pressure cook longer. Just don't overcook or you will have Italian refried beans!

Note #2 - Because there was bacon grease left in pot no need to add additional oil. (When you pressure cook beans the oil keeps them from foaming and getting the hole clogged, which then could result in cleaning your kitchen ceiling)

Garnish with fresh cilantro and grated Pecorino, Parmesan, or Gruyere. Serve with some rustic bread and a glass of wine.

balibar

And just when I thought - like most Europeans- that people in North America were hyper about fat and cholesterol! ;)
This one sounds very nice as well. I've got a great bean soup recipe at home, an Italian soup called "ribollita". I'll pass it on soon.
Do you get mussels readily where you are? This is mussels country, with just about as many ways to prepare them than we have beers (over 600).
I've got a great mussel soup recipe that I can pass on.

We love mussels - can get them all the time - though probably not quite as "fresh" as yours but certainly still fresh since "most" of them are still living! LOL

Balibar - LOL on the fat and cholesterol - every now and then you just gotta eat some bacon!!!! :roll:

Would love any suggestions for mussels. The only way I really fix them is simmer white wine, a lot of chopped shallots, a lot of fresh time and that's pretty much it. They are good but variety would be very welcome!

Good evening, Kitchenelf and everybody else.
Kitchenelf, I'm glad to hear that some of your mussels are alive. No we know you'll be among us for a while yet!
Recipes for mussels are many. Our favorites are "moules au vin blanc" - that's the mussels with white wine that you cook- "marinière" which is the simplest but still most popular way to eat them (slice onions, soften in butter, add some chopped celery and carrot slices + the famous "bouquet garni", i.e. thyme, bayleaf, parsley, lots of pepper, add a little bit of water - no more than a glassful - then add the mussels. Whole thing on high heat with the lid on. Shake about every 5 min until all mussels open). In Belgium, mussels [[/i]must be eaten with fries and the fries absolutely should be dipped in mustard or... mayonnaise. Moules marinière are served with "mussels sauce" which is a sort of liquidy mayonnaise with a lot of mustard in it. When you've finished eating the mussels you're supposed to drink the juice (it's called "juice") straight from the pot with a spoon. Letfover mussels can be used for pasta sauce or added to a cream sauce to eat with fish.
Other ways to prepare them: garlic cream sauce, with belgian endives, with beer, "provençale" (tomatoes, green and red peppers), curried, with ginger, with leeks, etc... Just tell me what catches your fancy.

For the soup:
- open mussels on high heat. Remove mussels from shells keeping a few for decoration. Set mussels aside. Strain juice. Sauté some chopped scallions until soft (not brown), add mussel stock + Some fish stock.
Add some saffron and 2 crished garlic cloves + 1 bay leaf. Bring to the boil. Cook for a few minutes until slightly reduced. Add cream + mussels.
Place a few mussels in their shell on soup plates, pour soup over the lot, decorate with a few sprigs of thyme.

Now, if you've got a good chicken soup recipe, I'd be grateful for it.

That sounds great - and I notice you are "guest" again - I was having trouble awhile back and had to sign in each time I logged on - apparently you have to now do that too. Be sure and check the box that says automatically sign me in - but like I said, it didn't work for me for a long time but now it does :?

I really want to try curry mussels!!!!

I do have a chicken soup "recipe" - (my son and husband hate it because I use whole chicken pieces and when they bite into the cartlidge by mistake they just about pass out!! LOL So, I have revised it for them but what I do below is what I used to do)

whole chicken pieces
large onion, chopped in large pieces
celery, peeled and chopped into about 2" pieces
carrots, peeled and chopped into about 2" slices
thyme
basil
marjoram
rosemary
tarragon
obviously, water to more than cover so you have lots of broth for the added veggies below
chicken base or a good broth may need to be added

Cook until chicken is almost falling off bone then add:

box of frozen broccoli (fresh is fine)
box of frozen cauliflower (fresh is fine)
box of frozen Brussels sprouts (fresh is fine)
1 can of corn or fresh cut off cob
canned or fresh green beans - cut in 1/2" pieces
Sometimes I use a box of cut okra too

more herbs if needed
butter (the amount depends on how big the pot but I am NOT afraid to add the amount needed for the flavor :shock: )
and a heavy splash of white wine
this is when I will add some fresh, chopped basil, thyme, rosemary or just tarragon if I'm in that kind of mood
if necessary some chicken base for a more intense flavor

Now, if I feel like a creamy (but it's not really what you would call a "cream" soup) kind of soup I will (in place of paragraph above) heat in a sauce pot 1 to 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup with about 1/2 - 1 can of white wine and a stick of butter along with about 1 TBS each dried basil, parsley, thyme, marjoram (all the sweet herbs). Heat until butter melts and add to soup pot along with all of the broccoli, cauliflower, sprouts, etc. Heat until veggies are done. If you are using fresh veggies of course they will take longer to cook.

Needless to say this makes one very large pot of soup!!! LOL But it does hit the spot. Of course, the next day it's even better and contrary to what people think, the Brussels sprouts do not make this soup taste funny or bitter or whatever it's supposed to do to it! If I do this without the cream of mushroom soup I leave the chicken pieces whole for sure (they look so good in the bowl for some reason) but if I do the cream of mushroom I usually take the chicken off the bone - most times anyway.

Now, if I am really making this late in the day I will go to the grocery store and buy a rotisserie chicken already cooked and pick it off the bone and use that instead of poaching one myself.

I hope this "recipe" is understandable - I'll have to go back and read it before I post it! LOL

I will add these same vegetables to by vegetable soup or vegetable beef soup - maybe change some of the herbs but I will add a dash of nutmeg or cinnamon. (and I don't do the mushroom soup, of course).

Well, Kitchenelf, I posted an answer to your latest post from another computer and , guess what? it didn't show at all! :?
These machines are really confusing.
Your recipe is very clear. I think I'll try it tomorrow when I will be home and have enough time to boil the chicken. My husband wouldn't faint if finding what qualifies as "weird stuff" in the soup, but would arrange said weird stuff carefully on the side of his plate. My son would hold it up for inspection and rejoice if it looked particularly gross because he could torture his sister with it (yerk, look, snail slime!") and my daughter would squeal and profess to be disgusted and have lost her appetite. So I'm always extra careful that only politically correct pieces of meat go in my pots.
I'll tell you how it turns out. I've never thought to use canned mushroom soup, but it seems like a good idea.

For curried mussels; same recipe as "marinières" except fry your curry before you sauté the onions (chopped smaller). Open the mussels on high heat. Remove the mussels. Strain the juice. Add to curry and onions, bring to a boil. Sometimes, I add a few slivers of ginger. Remove from heat, add cream. Stir. Put back in large pot, add mussels, shake well.
All this pot switching is due to not wanting the cream to boil. Clotted cream sauce! Now, that's gross!

Soup to make with mussels. After you've cooked them, remove from pot and shell the mussels saving a few in their shells for deco. Strain the juice, add saffron, lots of pepper, salt if need be (depends on how salty your seawater is), some fish stock, a spalsh of white wine, a few sage leaves. Bring to a boil. Remove sage. Add cream. Add cooked mussels. In soup plates, arrange mussels in shell, pour soup, decorate with chopped green onion.

Bon appétit!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom