Southern Grits 101

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have never had grits, that I can remember. What do they taste like?

Miss Stacey....Got yo self to the grocery store, and buy a box of grits like the ones above ^^^....Follow the directions...Except cook s-l-o-w-l-y for 20 to 30 minutes...add a touch or two of water/milk along if needed.....Serve with lots of butter....Taste? Close your eyes...You can taste the corn.

jpmcgrew said:
Actually I meant those but I keep hearing about the grits you cook for a long time. So you are saying cook these longer than it says?

Stone ground grits can/do take up to 45 minutes to be really smooth and creamy.
These Quick grits (Hominy Grits) by Quaker will cook in 5 minutes...but get better IMO the longer they cook...I would not put them on my plate in under 15-20 minutes. The smoothness get better. The stone ground grits I had for breakfast this AM were in the pot for about 50 minutes according to the DW...So bottom line...Yes, cook the Quaker Quick Grtis longer than the 5 minutes stated on the package.

Enjoy!

You know what? I use to get grits at the cafeteria at work, just grits, topped with gravy and crumbled bacon and everyone with me thought I was out of my mind!!!! Now give that 'cafeteria' grits come no where close to the home made kind, but dang, when you are in a pinch.... it works! I just can't believe how many people balked at putting gravy on my grits!

Back
Top Bottom