Spam, cabbage & potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bossman150

Cook
Don't overlook this even if you don't like spam! I can't stand it, but LOVE this recipe. My mom got it from a friend and we tried it and it has been something we eat 5-6 times a year since and love it every time. We tried this with ham and it just wasn't the same, for some reason the funkiness of the spam makes it.

One can of spam, cubed fairly small
One head of cabbage, chopped
one small onion, diced
3lbs of potatoes, cubed
1 tsp Garlic powder
Lowry's seasoned salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter

Start with the potatoes, you can either use raw or leftover cooked potatoes. Get them browning with the butter and olive oil over medium high heat in a large skillet or chef's pan and starting to get tender if they are raw. Add the onion and the spam, cook until potatoes and spam are nice and brown. Add the chopped cabbage, all of it, add the pepper and garlic powder and start with a couple teaspoons of the Lowry's seasoned salt, lower heat to medium, cover. After about 10 minutes stir and cover again for another 5-10 mins until the cabbage is well wilted and getting close to how you want it. Uncover and cook until any liquid is gone, taste and add more Lowry's until it tastes good to you (it takes a lot more of the Lowry's then you might think).

Bread and butter goes well with this. Try it I think you will be surprised!;)

Don't overlook this even if you don't like spam! I can't stand it, but LOVE this recipe. My mom got it from a friend and we tried it and it has been something we eat 5-6 times a year since and love it every time. We tried this with ham and it just wasn't the same, for some reason the funkiness of the spam makes it.

One can of spam, cubed fairly small
One head of cabbage, chopped
one small onion, diced
3lbs of potatoes, cubed
1 tsp Garlic powder
Lowry's seasoned salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter

Start with the potatoes, you can either use raw or leftover cooked potatoes. Get them browning with the butter and olive oil over medium high heat in a large skillet or chef's pan and starting to get tender if they are raw. Add the onion and the spam, cook until potatoes and spam are nice and brown. Add the chopped cabbage, all of it, add the pepper and garlic powder and start with a couple teaspoons of the Lowry's seasoned salt, lower heat to medium, cover. After about 10 minutes stir and cover again for another 5-10 mins until the cabbage is well wilted and getting close to how you want it. Uncover and cook until any liquid is gone, taste and add more Lowry's until it tastes good to you (it takes a lot more of the Lowry's then you might think).

Bread and butter goes well with this. Try it I think you will be surprised!;)

You had me at Spam Braddah Bossman! That's the food of my hertiage :LOL: Hawaii eats more Spam than any other State :yum:
But, I think steamed White Rice would be our households choice of a side.
Bread and Butter, where I was brought up, is a food group all it's own.
Not sure about the extra salt though, Spam can be salty.

You had me at Spam Braddah Bossman! That's the food of my hertiage :LOL: Hawaii eats more Spam than any other State :yum:
But, I think steamed White Rice would be our households choice of a side.
Bread and Butter, where I was brought up, is a food group all it's own.
Not sure about the extra salt though, Spam can be salty.

Lots of potatoes and cabbage, both of which take a lot of salt. :)

Looks good, except for the Spam. Bad memories from childhood where neither parent could cook, even though they thought they could!:huh: Spam went into the baked spaghetti along with Velveeta (bleck) and stewed tomatoes.:ohmy: I still use stewed tomatoes, but never have baked spaghetti and I don't use Spam or Velveeta.

I bet this thread grows to at least 75 posts, mostly about Spam. ;)

I didn't grow up with it and ashamed to confess that I looked down my nose at it most of my life. Now it is a regular pantry item that goes on the shopping list as soon as a can is opened. Usually the 25% less salt variety.

And cabbage is another vegetable that, as a kid, I just wasn't aware of except for cole slaw and didn't care much for that. But it is inexpensive and healthy and tempts me in the produce aisle but because I'm just not used to using it, I rarely buy it.

But I am used to and fond of one skillet dinners mostly made with potatoes, onions, any meat, and any vegetable (especially peppers). So next shopping trip I'll pick up a head of cabbage work it into the rotation.

Thanks, Bossman.

:ermm:Spam can't be any worse than potted meat, right? I used to LOVE that stuff and I don't even want to know what's in it! We ate potted meat WITH mayo on the whitest of white breads, think wonder bread. I'd eat it now if I didn't know how full of sodium and fat it is!

:ermm:Spam can't be any worse than potted meat, right? I used to LOVE that stuff and I don't even want to know what's in it! We ate potted meat WITH mayo on the whitest of white breads, think wonder bread. I'd eat it now if I didn't know how full of sodium and fat it is!

Is potted meat like Deviled Ham? We eat Deviled Ham about once a month, my youngest loves it. I use two cans of Deviled Ham with a couple tablespoons of Miracle Whip (to taste), a teaspoon or so of yellow mustard and 6 chopped up hard boiled eggs. Makes an easy meal that is best made up the day before and left in the fridge, served on toast.

Its even better if you make your own Deviled Ham which is super easy if you have a food processor, just take some left over ham and dice it, put it in the food processor and go until it is very fine. Tastes really good with leftover Spiral ham!

Is potted meat like Deviled Ham? We eat Deviled Ham about once a month, my youngest loves it. I use two cans of Deviled Ham with a couple tablespoons of Miracle Whip (to taste), a teaspoon or so of yellow mustard and 6 chopped up hard boiled eggs. Makes an easy meal that is best made up the day before and left in the fridge, served on toast.

Its even better if you make your own Deviled Ham which is super easy if you have a food processor, just take some left over ham and dice it, put it in the food processor and go until it is very fine. Tastes really good with leftover Spiral ham!
I'm not sure I can even explain the taste of potted meat, maybe puréed salty meat... I don't buy the deviled ham (too sweet for me) but I love that deviled chicken! Good stuff. I do have a food processor, I bet I could make it more to my taste that way!

I make my own deviled ham spread when I have leftover ham that needs used. I just made some for a road trip a couple of weeks ago and put in the cooler for snacks along the road. I don't have a food processor so I just put diced ham in the blender on pulse a little at a time, leaving some texture to it - I didn't want it totally pureed. Added just enough mayo, and a little mustard and pickle relish to hold it together for spreading on crackers. We all really enjoyed it - that was the road snack that got used up first. :yum:

Thank you for posting your recipe for spam, cabbage and potatoes, bossman! It sounds good, and I'll definitely be making this.

I make my own deviled ham spread when I have leftover ham that needs used. I just made some for a road trip a couple of weeks ago and put in the cooler for snacks along the road. I don't have a food processor so I just put diced ham in the blender on pulse a little at a time, leaving some texture to it - I didn't want it totally pureed. Added just enough mayo, and a little mustard and pickle relish to hold it together for spreading on crackers. We all really enjoyed it - that was the road snack that got used up first. :yum:
I think I would like it if I found a ham I like... we have a place called heavenly ham here and everyone loves it but every meat they have is so sweet! I realize I'm definitely weird on account that I don't like anything sweet, except hidden sugars that I don't realize I'm ingesting :ROFLMAO: I did give up pop!

I sure didn't grow up with Spam, and I doubt my Dad even carried it in his meat market/grocery store. He would probably roll in his grave that I now always have a can of it in my pantry.:ermm:
I especially like the chorizo flavored Spam and think it's superior to anything else available.

Thanks for the recipe Bossman.

Nice recipe, bossman.

I grew up with Spam, we always had a few cans of it during our lake vacations. Dad and his cronies called it spork. He loved to fry it for sandwiches.

I sure didn't grow up with Spam, and I doubt my Dad even carried it in his meat market/grocery store. He would probably roll in his grave that I now always have a can of it in my pantry.:ermm:
I especially like the chorizo flavored Spam and think it's superior to anything else available.

Thanks for the recipe Bossman.
Chorizo flavored may be something I would like! I love chorizo! Especially the chori pollo at Mexican restaurants!

I grew up with spam as a regular meal.... While it isn't a staple for me now, I do enjoy opening a can now and then.. I frequently order spam and eggs at a tiny Filipino dinner we go to...
Love the stuff...
Ross

I just wrote it down on my shopping list. Spam is something I haven't had in probably 20 years, so I never think to buy it until a tasty sounding Spam dish pops up here. :) I'll have to try some of the different flavored ones too....the Chorizo intrigues me.

You'll love the Chorizo Spam Cheryl and Merlot. Cut it up in tiny chunks, and brown it well for omelets, or that Chili Rellano casserole you and I like to make Cheryl:yum:
Unlike store bought Chorizo, there's little fat and no icky gristle bits.

Last edited:
You'll love the Chorizo Spam Cheryl and Merlot. Cut it up in tiny chunks, and brown it well for omelets, or that Chili Rellano casserole you and I like to make Cheryl:yum:
Unlike store bought Chorizo, there's little fat and no icky gristle bits.

Ty! I'll try it!

I like the jalapeño Spam in egg dishes, too. DH doesn't like eggs, but we both grew up with Spam, so I have eggs and he has that. We also like to fry it for sandwiches.

Back
Top Bottom