Spatchcocked turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
Well I just spatchcocked a 14 pound turkey. I don't think I will ever do that again. I have no real idea how long it will take to cook it this way. I know it takes less time to cook a chicken this way. If you should ever decide to try this know that it is very difficult to get the keel bone out of a turkey. Also you will need a humongous pan to cook it in. I have a pretty large pan and the bird just barely fits in it after it has been spatchcocked. There is no room to put stuffing under the bird as I planned to do. The presentation is not going to be as Norman Rockwell beautiful either. But I am betting that the legs will cook evenly with the breast. We shall see. Another plus is that I will have the entire backbone to put into my stock for gravy. I would not try this if I were cooking for a big family but I have been told not to fuss (yeah right!) since there are only three of us. So if it doesn't matter if things don't look perfect. I also brined the bird. I sure hope this thing is a succulent as it is in my imagination.

I saw a Tasty Licks BBQ vid on spatchcocking a turkey. I just said holy crap. It looked like a LOT of work for sure. Perfect for the grill though.

Well, the spatchcocked turkey cooked even faster than expected. The dark meat was fine. I thought the white meat verged on dry though hubby thought it was fine. But I must say the flavor was great. I can't figure that one out because I really did very little to add flavor, salt, pepper, paprika, parsley and butter under the skin. Even though it wasn't the traditional presentation it was still a beautiful looking bird. Probably won't do it this way again. Though I will always do chickens this way.

Do you usually put flavorings under the skin? I found that it makes chicken taste especially good. I have an irrational fear of ruining Thanksgiving by varying my method in any way ;) I'm hoping turkey parts will go on sale next week so I can get some to practice with. I found that putting flavorings and soy sauce (!) under the skin give great flavor to roasted chicken.

I don't remove the keel bone--I just press it as flat as I can. Mine was so juicy, white meat and all. I did try to kind of mound the leg quarters over as much of the breast as I could.

Back
Top Bottom