Spinach - Overcoming a bitter taste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hollyj

Assistant Cook
Does anyone have any ideas for overcoming the bitter aftertaste that sometimes comes with cooking spinach besides bacon fat?

hollyj said:
Does anyone have any ideas for overcoming the bitter aftertaste that sometimes comes with cooking spinach besides bacon fat?
*MILK* neutralizes that "aftertaste" that you sometimes find in fresh spinach.

Wash and rinse your fresh spinach if needed.

Put about 1/2 inch whole milk in a deep pot. Bring to a *simmer* (not a boil!). Add fresh spinach, cover, and *simmer* until done. Drain.

Spinach has always been one of my favorite vegetables - both raw & cooked - & I have to say that this is the very first time I've ever heard of it having a bitter aftertaste.

Since it does contain a large amount of oxalic acid, perhaps you're sensitive to that & whatever vessel you're cooking it in might be to blame? Try cooking it in a glass/ceramic, stainless, non-stick, or other non-reactive pan/pot & see if that helps.

spinach can become bitter if left to grow until it begins to bolt, and especially if it's in hotter climates.

i kinda like a bitter green once in a while, in a salad or in a dish with other flavors to balance it like sweet onions or goat cheese. bitter isn't always bad if used judiciously.

I've found that just a tiny drop of liquid honey (1/2 a tsp...a tsp at most, unless it's a big batch of spinach) will help to mask the bitterness that cooked greens sometimes have. If there are other flavours (onions, garlic, herbs, etc) in your finished dish, you shouldn't actually end up tasting the honey.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom