Spiralizer on sale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ya know, I could possibly see using such a device to create and interesting salad. But Veggies just won't replace pasta. The structure of vegetable strands don't contain the required protien-starch properties to create a coherent noodle that will maintian its shape when cooked, and not disitegrate. Also, the sauces that usually go with noodles don't all work with vegetable flavors. Would you eat a bedl of carrot "noodles" with an Alfredo sauce on top? Or what about summer squash with fish fume sauce.

I'm thinking that the veggie noodles may work with lo-mien and stir-fries though.

Now if they made a gadget that would turn a carrot into a lasagna noodle, that might me interesting.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Chief, I think people mostly use zucchini. That goes well with many tomato based pasta sauces. I don't know if it's cooked ahead of time, or added to the pasta sauce near the end of the cooking time, but a lot of people do it.

When Stirling and I were "doing Atkins", we tried spaghetti squash as a low carb, pasta substitute. It was okay. We never bothered doing it again.

The salad idea has some appeal, but I just don't need, or have space for, more kitchen gadgets.

Chief, I think people mostly use zucchini. That goes well with many tomato based pasta sauces. I don't know if it's cooked ahead of time, or added to the pasta sauce near the end of the cooking time, but a lot of people do it.

When Stirling and I were "doing Atkins", we tried spaghetti squash as a low carb, pasta substitute. It was okay. We never bothered doing it again.

The salad idea has some appeal, but I just don't need, or have space for, more kitchen gadgets.

Oh please. Help me! Is there a support group for kitchen gadgets? Hi, my name is Addie and today I ordered three more gadgets. A garlic keeper, a SS 2-stick butter dish with a cover that has a handle for easy removal and a new kitchen scale. I am hiding my piece of paper with my order on it from Spike. Every time I order something new, he shakes his head and says, "There you go again!" He keeps threatening to take away my computer.

I have been wanting the garlic keeper for years, but never thought of it until today. And I did have a butter dish from the 40's. It was made of glass and could hold a whole pound of butter. The Pirate dropped it. It was a refrigerator dish. The only thing I didn't like about it though was that the lid had no handle and was difficult to remove. And since he keeps borrowing my scales that is ancient, I bought a better one that looks like you could weigh a baby on it. He can have my old one. Maybe that will placate him. :angel:

Last edited:
Spaghetti squash, no special tool required and it goes great with gravy and meatballs, sausage, etc.:yum:

The local Thai/Japanese place uses spiral cut carrots and zucchini for their tempura veges. It looks like they just dip a whole handful of each in the batter then either drop it in a little at the time or drop in and immediately shake/stir to loosen the mass up and then they pile it high on the plate. It's actually pretty good, crisp and crunchy, not soggy at all like some tempura can be, especially if it's zucchini.

Oh please. Help me! Is there a support group for kitchen gadgets? Hi, my name is Addie and today I ordered three more gadgets. A garlic keeper, a SS 2-stick butter dish with a cover that has a handle for easy removal and a new kitchen scale. I am hiding my piece of paper with my order on it from Spike. Every time I order something new, he shakes his head and says, "There you go again!" He keeps threatening to take away my computer.

I have been wanting the garlic keeper for years, but never thought of it until today. And I did have a butter dish from the 40's. It was made of glass and could hold a whole pound of butter. The Pirate dropped it. It was a refrigerator dish. The only thing I didn't like about it though was that the lid had no handle and was difficult to remove. And since he keeps borrowing my scales that is ancient, I bought a better one that looks like you could weigh a baby on it. He can have my old one. Maybe that will placate him. :angel:
My name is Mad Cook and I am a kitchen gadget-holic.

Mind you I only buy things I will use. My latest was a set of scales which I've wanted for ages but felt £85 was more than I could justify then I spotted a second-hand set on Ebay for a fraction of the price and not a mark on it. It came with metric wights but I have a set of imperial weights that belonged to my mother. Good old balance scales are generally more accurate than the spring ones. You could weigh a baby in mine too.

Oh and a Microplane grater - wonderful gadget. can't think why I waited so long to buy it.

I got my mc eons ago as a birthday present. I keep it in an empty paper towel tube with the one end taped over so it won't slide through. Protects my finger when I am searching around the drawer. I would be so lost without it. :angel:

I got my mc eons ago as a birthday present. I keep it in an empty paper towel tube with the one end taped over so it won't slide through. Protects my finger when I am searching around the drawer. I would be so lost without it. :angel:
What's an mc?

:angel:

Good idea. :) Mine came with a clear plastic cover that slides over it when not in use.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom