Split Pea gone bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wild Bill

Assistant Cook
Made a batch of my Split pea soup. Soaked the peas overnight without salt. After all the work and hours of cooking. The peas never softened. Threw it all out. Wasted ham hocks bacon stock and potatoes.
What happened to the peas?

Couple of hours. I just cook them till their done. I ended up cooking them five hours. They never softened. I have made this before and never had this problem

That happened to me once too. Recipe made many times no problems, but once..
Hard beans.

Very frustrating!

I'm sorry about that, it is weird though. If the peas were soaking the whople night and did not get soft after 5 hours of cooking they were definetely very old and I mean very old.

I agree that they were probably very old. However, I never soak split peas overnight, just toss them into the stock and simmer for a couple of hours.

Overnight soaking is for whole dry beans, not split peas or lentils.

I have been making (and eating) Split Pea soup for more than 60 years, and have NEVER soaked one. There is no need to soak them, as they cook, along with the vegetables (and ham bone, if you use one) and soften up just fine.

I always use a bag of peas from the grocery store, and I realize there's no real way to tell how fresh they are, but I can't imagine having them stay hard. Or even thinking of soaking them beforehand.

Kroger has bad customer service.

Went to Kroger here in Pearland Tx on 518 in old town and complained. I was polite. I told the manager Vern that they should replace all my items. He was rude, laughed at me saying that y'all said the peas were old. He asked for the receipt which I didn't have. I showed him that I was a Mason and I my integrity should be enough. He walked away from me while I was pleading my case.
This is just the start of my trashing Kroger. Next I'm going to stand outside with a sign.
I wouldn't do this if he hadn't treated me the way he did.
:mad:

Went to Kroger here in Pearland Tx on 518 in old town and complained. I was polite. I told the manager Vern that they should replace all my items. He was rude, laughed at me saying that y'all said the peas were old. He asked for the receipt which I didn't have. I showed him that I was a Mason and I my integrity should be enough. He walked away from me while I was pleading my case.
This is just the start of my trashing Kroger. Next I'm going to stand outside with a sign.
I wouldn't do this if he hadn't treated me the way he did.
:mad:

Indeed, the peas were old. I can understand that the manager would require a reciept. I do not agree with how he treated you though.

Couple of hours. I just cook them till their done. I ended up cooking them five hours. They never softened. I have made this before and never had this problem

I know exactly the feeling.

I bought an entire sack of navy beans from a local Amish shop, did the overnight soak on about twelve pounds of them, and cooked them for what ended up being a total of nearly 36 hours before I gave up.

Never softened, never broke down, and eventually the molasses went south from excessive cooking

That was an expensive lesson on old beans.

Unlike beans, split peas do not require pre-soaking. And yes, if they are too old, they will not soften when cooked. But you've already heard that from the others. I'm just backing them up with a nod as I've experienced the same thing.

As for the integrity issue, and the store manager's attitude, he was wrong. I too belong to a church whose doctrine emphasizes personal integrity in everything we do. And I try to live by it, and have taught my children the same principle. Unfortunately, in this world, there are those who will pay lip service to such values without living them. The manager doesn't know you and has probably been burned by others. He is either untrusting, doesn't care, or is greedy. I wouldn't want to work for him either, as he would make a lousy boss. I agree that you should contact the corporate office. Don't paint the grocery store chain because of one bad manager. Other Kroger's in your town might have treated you much better.

You are the person who was wringed. But you must be the person who has to take the high road and act fairly, to maintaion your own integrity, and to satisfy your own beliefs. I know a bit obut Masonic doctrine, and know that you have very high standards. I aplaud those standards. I wanted to give you some tips for a great split pea soup, but will do that in a post on pea soup recipes and techniques. This thread isn't about the recipe, but how you were mistreated.

In any case, it's all water under the bridge now. Forgive and take appropriate action. Kroger stores isn't to blame, unless they have some type of policy which directs their employees to insult their customers, and I don't think that is the case here.

Oh, and I would recomend getting your split peas from another source as the batch that your local Kroger has may have sat too long in a warehouse somewhere.

I wish you success in getting fair treatment from the store chain. With the letter, you may even find that they send you a check for the items, if you send in the receipt with it. They will probably understand that if you took enough time to contact them, then your complaint is valid.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

As for the integrity issue, and the store manager's attitude, he was wrong. He is either untrusting, doesn't care, or is greedy. I wouldn't want to work for him either, as he would make a lousy boss.
WOW GW. I thought I knew you well enough to know that you would never make a snap judgment about a person based on next to no information. How can you really say that this person was wrong or greedy or would be a bad boss to work for? All you have to go on is one side of a story that lasted a few sentences. No offense to the OP, but we do not know exactly what happened. There are two sides to every story and just because the OP said he was polite...well all we have to go on is is word and as we do not know this person we do not know what his word is worth.

Wild Bill, please note this is nothing personal. I do not doubt that you are trustworthy, but as I am sure you will agree, trust is something that is earned and is not a given. You need to know someone before you can really trust someone at their word.

WOW GW. I thought I knew you well enough to know that you would never make a snap judgment about a person based on next to no information. How can you really say that this person was wrong or greedy or would be a bad boss to work for? All you have to go on is one side of a story that lasted a few sentences. No offense to the OP, but we do not know exactly what happened. There are two sides to every story and just because the OP said he was polite...well all we have to go on is is word and as we do not know this person we do not know what his word is worth.

Wild Bill, please note this is nothing personal. I do not doubt that you are trustworthy, but as I am sure you will agree, trust is something that is earned and is not a given. You need to know someone before you can really trust someone at their word.

GB, you are right. I did make a snap judgment and should know better. I did try to be objective stating the following: "Unfortunately, in this world, there are those who will pay lip service to such values without living them." Meaning that the manager had possibly seen others abuse the Integrity card. And I followed that sentence with; "The manager doesn't know you and has probably been burned by others. He is either untrusting, doesn't care, or is greedy." I was trying to point out that the manager had no reference for trusting the op. But I do feel, that he could have handled the incident better. If he was rude, that is inexcusable. If not, and the op was overbearing, or difficult, then he may have had reason to walk away.

My following sentence in the post was wrong on my part. "He is either untrusting, doesn't care, or is greedy. I wouldn't want to work for him either, as he would make a lousy boss." This was wrong as I don't have sufficient information to make such a judgment. Thank you for taking me to task on that.

And to Wild Bill; I am not saying here that I don't trust you. I tend to trust people until they give me reason not to. I have had similar situations as you did, and so sympathize easily to what happened to you. I am only commenting that it is my responsibility, especially in a public forum, to try to be objective, and to give advise or comment only on what I know, and not by looking at just one side of a story. The advise still holds though, contact the chain if you have a reasonable complaint.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks GW. If there is one thing I can always count on from you it is that you are great at re-looking at what you have written and considering it from a different viewpoint. That is a great quality in a person!

And Wild Bill, let me reiterate that my post was not meant to imply that you are not to be trusted. I hope it did not come across that way. If I did then I offer my strongest apology.

Thanks GB. I try to be fair and objective, but like everyone else, am a mere mortal and capable of making huge, and small mistakes. I appreciate it when someone shows me when I do make those errors. That's part of how we learn. But that's not to say that it will always be easy to convince me that I'm wrong. In this case, it was pretty obvious, and again, thanks. Just don't send me to the woodshed.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Hello folks.
I understand what you are saying about the one side of the story. And you don't know me! The story stands as written.
I contacted Kroger via internet and got no response. I called and gave them all info twice, with no response. The last time I called was right before Thanksgiving and told them if I didn't get a response in a week I was going to get the sign ready. Two weeks later the sign is taped to the passenger window in the truck. I made one pass around the front of the store. The REAL manager came out and took care of the problem. She said she hadn't heard of the problem.
She was very polite and asked what I needed. I said peas, broth, ham hocks, carrots and potatoes. 75 lbs of rib eyes and brisket. She and I laughed , I got my soup fixing and went home.
It was the principal of the thing. The actions of the night manager that brought me to this. I am going to stand up to them when I am wronged.

Back
Top Bottom