Sponge Candy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sweetdaisy

Assistant Cook
hey everyone! I made my sponge candy and when i added the chocolate, of course i tried it because i wanted to see how my homemade stuff came out. It was hard as a rock. I know I followed the directions correctly and the Ingredients were right. is there something special you ahve to do? heres the recipe i have:

1 cup sugar
1 tbsp vinegar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 tbsp baking soda
Melted chocolate

1. Combine sugar, corn syrup and vinegar in saucepan
2. cook over medium heat untill sugar is dissolved
3. continue cooking without stirring untill it reaches 300 degrees on candy thermometer.
4. remove from heat
5. stir in baking soda
6. pour in to slightly buttered 9x9' pan. DO NOT SPREAD it will spread itself. do not touch pan or it will not rise
7. cool, break in to pieces. dip in to melted chocolate

I love sponge candy!

Did you use a candy thermometer? If so, do you know if the temp reading is accurate? Was your baking soda out of date? Was it a particularly humid day when you made it?

It sounds like you ended up with a 'praline' or hard caramel, instead of the 'melt in your mouth' sponge. Temperature could affect that, as well as the action of the baking soda and the humidity in the air. I made some once on a rany day, and it just ended up chewy caramel!

What in tarnation is "sponge candy" descriptions please, samples may be requested if descriptions are inadequate :twisted: :D

Kyles - quite sure that we don't have such delights in the UK

Aaaaaah all is revealed now. We have two types of honeycombe in Australia that are commercially produced, Violet Crmble which is brittle without such a honeycombed texture, and Crunchie, which looks just like your picture. In England, it is known as cinder toffee.

I am never heard of it referred to as Sponge Candy, but that makes sense, as it has the appearance of sponge! I was thinking sponge like sponge cake, soft rather than hard!

candy

thank you so much. . i actually looked at my moms baking soda and it expired last month. that explains why it turnd out bad. lol

thanks again

Just be thankful you didn't end up with the mess I did years ago when I tried to make "Seafoam Candy." It was about the same recipe as yours, but something other than chocolate. The vinegar and baking soda reacted with each other and started pouring out of the pan (I'm sure I was using too small a pan). It was all over the stove, under the burners, everywhere! What a mess!!

:) Barbara

My grandmother did that once, it made one heck of a mess, we smelt burned sugar for about a month whenever she used the hotplates. We stuck to cookie baking after that escapade!

when I made this recipe I actually used twice the baking soda and vinegar and it came out a lot better.

Back
Top Bottom