Squirrel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Chipmunks roasting on an open fire
Hot sauce, dripping from their toes..."

Oh, wait. This is about squirrels. Hmmm. Let's see if I can follow Mr. Bob Rivers' lead here. Hmmmm.

Sung to the tune of "Silver Bells"

In the autumn, in the tree tops
leaping from tree to tree
There's a succulent squirrel that is calling'

Steady finger, pulls the trigger
pellets rip through the air
and my supper falls straight to the ground.

Silver knife
Silver knife
Fillet of squirrel for supper
grease is hot
hear it pop
soon it will be dinner time

Mashed potatoes
red eyed gravy
and some beans on the side
It will be a great meal to remember

Pass the hot legs
seasoned just right
and a biscuit or two
from the mouths of the neighbors you'll hear

Silver knife
Silver knife
grease is hot
hear it pop

Ok, that's it. That's my squirrel song done to a Christmas tune.

Hot legs! What a great name for a meal of squirrel marinated in your favorite hot sauce, then coated in flour and fried to perfection. I'm kind of surprized that BT didn't come up with it first. ;)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

"Chipmunks roasting on an open fire
Hot sauce, dripping from their toes..."

Oh, wait. This is about squirrels. Hmmm. Let's see if I can follow Mr. Bob Rivers' lead here. Hmmmm.

Sung to the tune of "Silver Bells"

In the autumn, in the tree tops
leaping from tree to tree
There's a succulent squirrel that is calling'

Steady finger, pulls the trigger
pellets rip through the air
and my supper falls straight to the ground.

Silver knife
Silver knife
grease is hot
hear it pop

Mashed potatoes
red eyed gravy
and some beans on the side
It will be a great meal to remember

Pass the hot legs
seasoned just right
and a biscuit or two
from the mouths of the neighbors you'll hear

Silver knife
Silver knife
grease is hot
hear it pop

Ok, that's it. That's my squirrel song done to a Christmas tune.

Hot legs! What a great name for a meal of squirrel marinated in your favorite hot sauce, then coated in flour and fried to perfection. I'm kind of surprized that BT didn't come up with it first. ;)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

If these lyrics get stuck in my head at the holidays, you are in BIG trouble!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have to say I am thrilled that the lowly squirrel has gotten as much traffic as it has (yeah, that was a bad joke).

I am leaning towards a slow BBQ thing, using the side box, likely with hickory. I won't know too much about the things until Thursday, but I am going to guess they will be very lean on the outside so I will likely cover em with bacon.

And Uncle Bob.. umm.. I have to say, with regret, umm.. the uh heads will likely, errmm.. well.. I don't think they will be attached.

I've got a maddening Christmas song in my head that I fear won't go away for the next two months, and my dreams are haunted by zombie squirrels, the ones chasing me with their head still on have razor sharp buck teeth. I hate DC!

I have to say I am thrilled that the lowly squirrel has gotten as much traffic as it has (yeah, that was a bad joke).

I am leaning towards a slow BBQ thing, using the side box, likely with hickory. I won't know too much about the things until Thursday, but I am going to guess they will be very lean on the outside so I will likely cover em with bacon.

And Uncle Bob.. umm.. I have to say, with regret, umm.. the uh heads will likely, errmm.. well.. I don't think they will be attached.

Everything is better on a Ritz....:ermm:

Seriously, the "Tree Rats" respond better to wet/moist cooking methods/recipes...The meat is very lean, and will dry out in a heart beat!

Enjoy!

I loved the song GW!

My grandma's favorite part of the squirrel was the brain. That's one thing I'm not willing to try! It has been many years since I have had squirrel (it was fried), but I remember loving it.

:)Barbara

I've got a maddening Christmas song in my head that I fear won't go away for the next two months, and my dreams are haunted by zombie squirrels, the ones chasing me with their head still on have razor sharp buck teeth. I hate DC!

The cure is to walk into the pet shop and ask them how many parakeets in a serving or how much the rabbits are per pound.:wacko:

A skinned squirrel always looked like a skinned cat to me, so it's not my favorite food. However, if I were starving, I imagine it would be mighty tasty! We always floured and fried it, made gravy, and biscuits. The gravy disguises what you're eating.

I remember my 15 year old son shooting three squirrels one day and leaving them on the back porch to brag about it. When he went back the cats had confiscated the squirrels. What can I say? I laughed!

Last edited:
Sorry but to me that is ewwwww! I had some venison once never again
My brothers tho would eat anything. I remenber opening our spare fridge when we were younger and there would be 1-4 squirrels waiting for them to cook. Thanks Ill pass But good luck

Ok.. so the squirrel idea seems to have fallen out of the tree... he left em home last night. So next week (they are frozen already).

Oh well.. just another week of build up. :)

I haven't had squirrel in years. We used to put the cleaned squirrels, whole, into the crock pot and braise them. We served them on bread, like pulled pork.

Part of this, the reason he is giving me the squirrels, is to see how they turn out in the pit. My friend routinely braises them in the crock pot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom