Squirrel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Frank just likes to tease Kath, us DC members are icing, or braising as this savory squirrel case may be...

I've had the suspicion that they're inedible unless you cook 'em to death -- too lean, too high a metabolism, not eating fatty nuts but rather caching them this time of year...

Dumplings, I can sink my teeth into!

Frank just likes to tease Kath, us DC members are icing, or braising as this savory squirrel case may be...

I've had the suspicion that they're inedible unless you cook 'em to death -- too lean, too high a metabolism, not eating fatty nuts but rather caching them this time of year...

Dumplings, I can sink my teeth into!

I love dumplings. Not sure how I will like the squirrel. But I will try it. :)

I love dumplings. Not sure how I will like the squirrel. But I will try it. :)

You be a better woman than me, Kathleen.

You mentioned before, 4 things you wouldn't try. Care to share?

Personally, I absolutely won't eat any wild animal, although I understand why others do. I guess it's just where I draw the line with my basic belief that animals shouldn't be eaten. I justify my passion for meat if it's shrink wrapped in a white styrofoam tray from the grocery. :rolleyes:

You be a better woman than me, Kathleen.

You mentioned before, 4 things you wouldn't try. Care to share?

Personally, I absolutely won't eat any wild animal, although I understand why others do. I guess it's just where I draw the line with my basic belief that animals shouldn't be eaten. I justify my passion for meat if it's shrink wrapped in a white styrofoam tray from the grocery. :rolleyes:

At least you're honest. :)

Are these red squirrels? Or grey? Greys are common over here, but reds are very rare, beautiful creatures and friendly, too.

I've not heard of eating squirrel. I shouldn't think there'd be much meat on them.

Are these red squirrels? Or grey? Greys are common over here, but reds are very rare, beautiful creatures and friendly, too.

I've not heard of eating squirrel. I shouldn't think there'd be much meat on them.

Here in the States, we have at least two different species called red squirrels. One of them is also called a fox squirrel.

"Chipmunks roasting on an open fire
Hot sauce, dripping from their toes..."

Oh, wait. This is about squirrels. Hmmm. Let's see if I can follow Mr. Bob Rivers' lead here. Hmmmm.

Sung to the tune of "Silver Bells"

In the autumn, in the tree tops
leaping from tree to tree
There's a succulent squirrel that is calling'...
Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I'm proud to be your daughter right now. *wipes tears from her eyes*

The big day has arrived!!

The box is running about 200F right now and building, the squirrels are covered with bacon.

The down side is there isn't enough meat to push the food probe in to keep an eye on it. Will have to go with the look and feel. I can likely use the instant read but the digital monitor is out.

Ok.. these things were good. Different but good

The outside of the meat got a little tough where it peeked through the bacon, next time I will have to do a better job of that.

The meat was juicy, tender and good.

Yum.

There are two things that will make anything taste better...Bacon and Chocolate. You picked the right one. For all the ribbing I gave you, I'm very glad they turned out and you enjoyed them.

Ok.. these things were good. Different but good

The outside of the meat got a little tough where it peeked through the bacon, next time I will have to do a better job of that.

The meat was juicy, tender and good.

Yum.

I'll be glad to have had my assumptions proven wrong about squirrel meat when Kathleen dittos your post...

Squirrel Review

My squirrel was smaller and a bit on the tough side, but it was tasty. The flavor and texture was between a baked ham and a smoked turkey leg. The bacon was an excellent addition.

Kayelle, remember that I grew up in southern country. I reserve the right to turn down coleslaw - because no one makes it like Momma. I just cannot stomach the thought of eating sweetbreads (brains) or tripe. My mother was a stickler that we had to try anything once, but she allowed us to veto three items outright. Since no one served tripe, when I was a child, my third item was marrow dumplings. Now that I'm an adult, I have marrow dumplings "grandfather'ed" in. :rolleyes:

Dad fished and hunted, but he never hunted squirrel. I'm not sure why except that they had to be a pain to clean for the small amount of meat. Still...they were better than I thought they would be.

~Kathleen

Last edited:
My squirrel was smaller and a bit on the tough side, but it was tasty. The flavor and texture was between a baked ham and a smoked turkey leg. The bacon was an excellent addition.

Kayelle, remember that I grew up in southern country. I reserve the right to turn down coleslaw - because no one makes it like Momma. I just cannot stomach the thought of eating sweetbreads (brains) or tripe. My mother was a stickler that we had to try anything once, but she allowed us to veto three items outright. Since no one served tripe, when I was a child, my third item was marrow dumplings. Now that I'm an adult, I have marrow dumplings "grandfather'ed" in. :rolleyes:

Dad fished and hunted, but he never hunted squirrel. I'm not sure why except that they had to be a pain to clean for the small amount of meat. Still...they were better than I thought they would be.

~Kathleen

Thanks for the report Kathleen. I had to laugh out loud at PF....."There are two things that will make anything taste better...Bacon and Chocolate. You picked the right one. " :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom