Standing in the supermarket...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will make a mental note of what I NEED. I get that (usually bathroom stuff) and then I hit the foods. I usually just get what is on a huge sale, or 'base' foods like sauerkraut..... tomato puree, black beans. I have a ton of spices and sauces already. So I mix the 'base' with whatever else that sounds good at the time, along with mixing spices and sauces. I like to use sauce 'bases' like ketchup and pour in vinager and spices and other sauces.... I make oriental sauces.... thai sauces.... mexican, italian. What ever stikes me. I use it on chicken, beef, rice, noodles. I use my imagination. And it doesnt always turn out great either. :oops: :roll:

If I made a mental note, I still wouldn't be out of the grocery store! My brain isn't that sharp. (I'm tark as a shap)
24.gif

I buy depending on sales. I go to a website that tells me which items in my local store are on sale, and it also lists the coupons that I currently have. (provided I cut them and file them - it's a pain but so worth it!) Then, I just print out my list, and add any remaining ingreds to it. This way, I'm only spending 50 dollars a week, usually. (Sometimes more if we need beer!) Very often I get a few free items per week, too. Here's the site: www.thegrocerygame.com I believe they are in 25 or more states.

12.gif

mmmm.... veal cutlets and - I'd be tempted to make some purple potatoes smashed with garlic and fresh Parmesan, sauteed apples with cinnamon and brown sugar, and fresh Brussels sprouts with a light olive oil, garlic, shallot, lemon, dill dressing (a tad of butter for flavor). If you don't do the sauteed apples with the meal I would make a baked stuffed apple for dessert:

6 medium red tart apples

1 C. light brown sugar

1/4 C. raisins

1 T. orange peel

1/4 C. butter

2 C. very hot water

3 T. orange juice concentrate

Wash and core the apples, but don't peel them. In a pan that will fit in your crockpot, stand up the apples. Butter the pan first.

Fill the core cavities with the brown sugar, raisins and orange peel. Top with butter.

Place the pan in the crockpot. Pour the hot water around the pan. Sprinkle the orange juice concentrate over the apples.

Cover the cooker and cook on low for 3 - 5 hours or until apples are tender.

But you know, if I was standing there actually IN the Fresh Market my take would be totally different! LOL I'd have to go with what I saw that caught my eye. Maybe stuffed zucchini, or baby eggplant....

dw makes up a list, i'm the go-fer. but i get to add on things, so it usually takes me like 2 hours to go food shopping. when i get home, she shakes her head at all of the extra stuff i bought. but i've turned her on to so many good things, she is learning to enjoy the little food surprises. i love to wlak around, checking out stuff on sale, thinking of ways to use them in dishes. like a kid in a candy store...

I've done the bit about wandering around the grocery store looking for inspiration. Usually, however, I just keep a minimum par of different base ingredients that I can then use for all sorts of things. When I get low, or run out, I'll list that item on a jr. legal pad attached to my frige. When I go shopping, I pick up the items I have listed, as well as keep a lookout for good bargains.

Of course, it's always fun to be handed something, and told to make some good supper from it, with no planning or forethought. I had to do tha Sunday night with some chicken breasts.

I won't go in a store without a list. I buy things when they are on sale. Better yet, on sale with a coupon. I save enough doing this that my wine is free (also, I get a 10% discount for buying by the the case).

I didn't go to the supermarket.. I went to this little italian deli in town. I could wander around there for a couple hours, easy. I was eyeing a jar of marinated artichoke hearts (they are soooooooo yummmy!!!), and I was leaning on making an antipasto salad. Then, they had some beautiful fresh Italian bread, that's what made me think of making some really good sauce. I was there over an hour and decided on the sauce idea, but I bought the artichoke hearts anyway.... and some big, fat deli pickles!

Barbara L said:
Any time mudbug! I don't have a problem with someone being justifiably angry, but we need to watch who we take it out on!

:) Barbara

Hey!....if it were not for people like me those poor people would not have a job. :!: :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom