Started a YouTube Channel with a How to make food section. Would like feedback. :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fatpanda

Assistant Cook
Hello, I am new to this site. I have recently started a YouTube Channel and I have a started a series that is aimed at university students to help teach them how to cook quick, tasty meals. In addition to helping them save money and tips of saving money on food/the weekly shop. :chef:

All feedback would be grateful. Here is my first video of this series:
https://youtu.be/8MV6_HBGIJc

Thank you for the time to read this Post.
I have a few questions:
What do you think I should address in future videos?
Is there a way to present the video better? (I have limited recording equipment so just trying to work with what I have got :))

Sorry if this in the wrong forum.

Hello, I am new to this site. I have recently started a YouTube Channel and I have a started a series that is aimed at university students to help teach them how to cook quick, tasty meals. In addition to helping them save money and tips of saving money on food/the weekly shop. :chef:

All feedback would be grateful. Here is my first video of this series:
https://youtu.be/8MV6_HBGIJc

Thank you for the time to read this Post.
I have a few questions:
What do you think I should address in future videos?
Is there a way to present the video better? (I have limited recording equipment so just trying to work with what I have got :))

Sorry if this in the wrong forum.

Just one small suggestion. Talk as you are doing something. Even if it is just chopping. You can tell us the name of your dish, even though we already know it by the title.

And yes you came to the right place. The title of this site is "Discuss Cooking." Welcome to Discuss Cooking. :angel:

Nicely done fatpanda. That's a nice wok. Unlike some of your youtube colleagues, it looks like you actually have used a knife before.

I've long thought that for students, or anyone with limited room and appliances, two handy implements would be a four slice toaster oven combined with a 6-inch cast iron skillet. That makes possible simple but impressive things like frittatas and pan pizzas with store-bought pizza dough. So that's three mini-webcasts.

Here's another idea. You said early on, make sure you have a sharp knife. I would think that to be a fairly rare thing in a college dorm or a 20-year-old's apartment. Why don't you show them how to sharpen a knife with an arkansas stone or whatever method you like.

If those are useful, you're welcome to them. If not my feelings won't be hurt.

Welcome to the forum.

I liked it. Makes me want to make fried rice. Perhaps tomorrow or Sunday. I'll toss some pork or perhaps shrimp in mine. Thanks for giving me the yearning for it.

Thank You skilletlicker. Haha, I don't remember how I learnt how to use a knife. Being from a Chinese family my early days of cooking we just used a meat cleaver for everything! I think once I got to uni is when I started using a knife as its takes up less space. :ROFLMAO: I think just watching cooking shows like Masterchef gave me some basic ways to use different utensils.

All feedback and ideas are good, Thank you. :) I think I actually will put them ideas in a video with some other useful tips when cooking.

Thank you. :) If you have any more ideas feel free to send me a message. :)

Thank you LizStreithorst. That sounds amazing. Lemme know how well it comes out. :) Your Welcome :yum: Definitely add some extras to it. I was thinking student might not be able to afford the luxuries. I sometimes treat myself to these luxuries after handing some coursework. :ROFLMAO:

roadfix that is actually a really good idea! I think that will be a video for sure!

Sir_Loin_of_Beef Sorry about that. I didn't know I could control where the ads pop up. I have removed the ads obscuring the video.

Nice video. I like how you speeded up some portions of the video during non-critical portions of the process. This eliminates a complaint I have with a lot of cooking videos - lots of dead time.

Nice video. I like how you speeded up some portions of the video during non-critical portions of the process. This eliminates a complaint I have with a lot of cooking videos - lots of dead time.

My feelings exactly Andy. That's why I suggested he is working while talking. He could simply start the video with "This College Cooking video is about ....." Then he could show the ingredients with the amount required. Now it would be time to start cooking the dish. Keep the opening short and informative. Cook as you talk. :angel:

What kind of cooking equipment and facilities does your target audience have? Many of us here at DC have well equipped kitchens, but I doubt that's the case with students. If I was to try to get by with a minimal amount of cooking equipment, it would include a rice cooker (with steamer basket), a slow cooker, a pot big enough for cooking pasta, and a skillet or a wok (but preferably both).

Just a suggestion, but you might want to demonstrate how to make a variety of meals with a minimal amount of cooking equipment. Most meals made in slow cookers are also good as leftovers, which I would guess would be important for students who don't want to cook every meal. You might also want to include some healthy eating tips. It's pretty common here for students to put on weight when they head off to school, although some of that is beer weight.

Thank You Andy. I was aiming to try and make is short and sweet but trying to include everything that was necessary. :)

Thank you for the advice Addie. I have kept a note of the things I need to remember for my next video. I shall but down the amounts of the ingredients in the overlay for future videos. :) I agree with talking while cooking. I tried it for this video but I forgot to talk as I was a little bit too focus on cooking. :ROFLMAO: I think talking while cooking will come with practice :)

Thanks for the feedback tenspeed. My target audience would be a university student going into 1st year, who has a limited knowledge of cooking and the very basic equipment. (This was basically me in first year :LOL:) I shall ask a few university forums if they would likely have a slow cooker at uni, not many do. I know of one person who did but never used it :ROFLMAO:

Those are very good ideas and very helpful. I have saved it into a document file. :)

Depending upon how serious you plan to get look at getting some soft boxes for lighting. They are realtivly inexpensive and will make you food look better. Also you will not have to film when the light is good.

powerplantop That's a good suggestion. :) I had a bit of trouble with the lighting having to get a lamp from my room and bring it to the kitchen. I will have a look into soft boxes for lighting as I can see it being very useful. Just one problem at the moment which is money. :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom