Started any herbs yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's no such thing as too many tomatoes! They are wonderful fresh, canned, and frozen, so you can't miss! And your friends will love you if you give them fresh tomatoes, as most of the ones in the store have no flavor. Where do you live sparrowgrass? I'm your friend!

;)Barbara

that's funny, Barbara:LOL:

my onions have started to germinate!! This is a test batch from last years seeds, I'm hoping to get some large onions out of these guys, I can dream can't I?:rolleyes:

There's absolutely no need to buy special "growing" lights. As I said in my previous post, I use 4-foot long plain cheap fluorescent lights. I've been using them since '94 & they work terrific. I've started virtually every vegetable, herb, (& a few flowers) under the sun successfully with them. No need to feed the greed with "special" lights.

Fluorescent lights are great for indoor plants. Grow Lights put out a lot of heat and have to be turned off and on frequently. You can cause a lot of damage with them. I had some on a timer switch at one time turning them on and off every 45 min. Those make-up mirrors with fluorescent lights are great for large indoor potted plants during the winter. Those plants are usually moved into a corner or hallway during the holiday or a bedroom.

There are a lot of plants in libraries and office buildings glowing from fluorescent lighting.

I always "ball" the roots of seedlings in cheesecloth. I often start seeds in water, shallow water, then dust cheesecloth lightly with soil cover the root. You can also buy minature pots and line them with cheesecloth. You should never expose the rooting system by knocking or banging off the soil or washing it off. Your plants will have six to eight leaves when they are ready to transplant. A seedling with two leaves is a sprout.

I agree there are a lot of great gardeners at DC.

How can I grow indoor herbs? I'd like some thyme and mint small plants but will they keep alright indoors? Will I have a problem with bugs?

How can I grow indoor herbs? I'd like some thyme and mint small plants but will they keep alright indoors? Will I have a problem with bugs?

I haven't done mint yet. But I am doing thyme, sage and oregano right now. They're doing great so far.
I use LED grow lights. They don't get hot and they use less energy than fluorescent lights and last a really long time.

We live in an apartment. But we are on the 2nd floor and have a nice balcony. We are going to be getting a dwarf lemon tree for inside. Outside I hope to do some flowers and then try to do some potted veggies. Some tomatoes and I think I'm going to try basil (if I can't get it to work indoors) I'd also like to find some garlic and try growing that.
I'm quite new to the gardening thing. I can't wait to get a house where I have a bit of a yard to do a little veggie garden. :-p

Back
Top Bottom