Steak au povior (peppersteak)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
From the recent thread of different steaks. I would like to try this.

I have 2 strip steaks.

Questions..

1. If I rub the steak with heavy cracked pepper and skillet fry.. won't the chunks of pepper fall off and burn?

2. The sauce seems to very in the recipes I've read..

Looks mainly like maybe a bit of onion or mushrooms, then de-glaze with cognac and heavy Cream. I don't normally have cognac and Cream around, but do have Dry Vermouth and whole milk. would that work or will the sauce "Break"? perhaps I could add a bit of flour to the fat to hold the milk?

I'm trying to make sort of a budget homeade version of this dish and hoped someone here might have some experience with this.

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

Mush the cracked peppercorns into the steak, don't just rub it. Really push it in. Add a liberal salting as well. Make sure the steaks are at room temperature before you season or cook them.

Your sauce will be great! Just whisk it around while you're letting the steaks rest.

Last edited:
From the recent thread of different steaks. I would like to try this.

I have 2 strip steaks.

Questions..

1. If I rub the steak with heavy cracked pepper and skillet fry.. won't the chunks of pepper fall off and burn?

2. The sauce seems to very in the recipes I've read..

Looks mainly like maybe a bit of onion or mushrooms, then de-glaze with cognac and heavy Cream. I don't normally have cognac and Cream around, but do have Dry Vermouth and whole milk. would that work or will the sauce "Break"? perhaps I could add a bit of flour to the fat to hold the milk?

I'm trying to make sort of a budget homeade version of this dish and hoped someone here might have some experience with this.

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

Wait to make the recipe until you have all the ingredients. The taste of this dish can't be approached with what you have on hand.

You can cook the steak with peppercorns and make a sauce with the ingredients you mentioned. Just don't expect it to taste like steak au poivre.

When you're ready to make it, try this recipe. Steak au Poivre Recipe | Epicurious.com

Wait to make the recipe until you have all the ingredients. The taste of this dish can't be approached with what you have on hand.
...Just don't expect it to taste like steak au poivre.

This. This is one that is hard to fake.

Also, you will want a medium high heat to get a good sear, but a ripping hot pan WILL scorch the peppercorns, so use caution.

Milk just won't cut it. Cream for this yields the great mouth feel that only a cream reduction can offer. If you do flour and milk, you will get a country gravy like concoction, not like the real deal at all.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom