Steam canning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMediger

Head Chef
I received a very nice steam canner (5" deep tray with a large cover) for my birthday from my parents. Trouble is, I've never heard of steam canning. Have any of you? Anyone use this method? We have a small house and kitchen so when I can, there is a ton of condensation on the windows. This seems like there would be less of that with this canner since less water is used. Thoughts?

So....has there been more research about steam canners? I'd love to have one if they are safe just because they use less water.

Actually, I use a steam canner. Never had a problem. Summer in a Jar, by Andrea Chesman, explains that the USDA has no funds to research steam canning, so can't recommend it. Her cookbook deals with canning by the jar, small batches, and she uses a steam canner exclusively.

For high acid foods only.

Last edited:
Actually, I use a steam canner. Never had a problem. Summer in a Jar, by Andrea Chesman, explains that the USDA has no funds to research steam canning, so can't recommend it. Her cookbook deals with canning by the jar, small batches, and she uses a steam canner exclusively.

For high acid foods only.

I typically only can tomatoes, apple sauce and strawberry jam. I'm looking at doing peaches in light syrup this weekend ... would you consider these high acid Dawg? I was actually surprised to find I could water-bath can peaches anymore. Thoughts?

I typically only can tomatoes, apple sauce and strawberry jam. I'm looking at doing peaches in light syrup this weekend ... would you consider these high acid Dawg? I was actually surprised to find I could water-bath can peaches anymore. Thoughts?

Ball Blue Book has recipes for canning peaches in a waterbath. I looked in Chesman's book, she has recipes for peach jam, but not for sliced peaches in the steam canner, though the focus of her book is pickles, jams, and jellies. An internet search revealed that yes, many people do can peaches in light syrup in the steam canner, I haven't yet. Steam canners do get as hot as waterbath canners, you have to follow the directions and make sure there's a steady stream of steam for 5 minutes, and that the jars seal (jar lid bump pops down while cooling).

If I find some good peaches, I might have to give it a try! I've mainly done green beans, green cherry tomatoes, jams, and apple butter in the steamer.

Remember that canning is simply a function of raising the temperature of the contents of the jar to a sufficient level to kill any micro organisms that are present, and then as it cools it makes an airtight seal so no more bugs can get in the now sterile environment. This temperature can be low for some things like acidic tomatoes or high for things like meat containing stew. That is why water baths are sufficient sometimes and sometimes you need the heat of a pressure canner. Always research the time and temperature needed for what you are canning.

Thank you! Excited to do peaches this weekend ... I have a bushel that will be easier to can than try to find the room in the freezer.

...and that the jars seal (jar lid bump pops down while cooling)...

Best sound in the world! I did jam earlier this year with my niece (4) and nephew (6) and they were the official "Pop Listeners". I got a kick out of their reactions every time one would "go".

I did honey spiced peaches not long ago. Used water bath method. They look so pretty.

Raz, can you post the recipe for that, along with a picture? It sounds really good and one of our master gardeners is selling his own honey at the farmer's market, where there are also tons of peaches coming in.

My MIL uses a steamer canner and she's never had one problem. But I must say I love my pressure canner. I've used both and my pressure canner is easier to use. However if you want to use a steam canner look online. I'm sure there are a lot of recipes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom