Stepping in to say hello.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wayne Luke

Assistant Cook
Greetings...

My wife and I are tired of the outrageously high price of groceries. Currently our budget is whooping at over $600 a month. Add to this all the hormones, growth additives, biogenetic engineering in the food today and you can't tell what you are really eating unless you grow and prepare it yourself. Of course organic and non-adulterated foods cost more in our warped society.

To counter this, we are making several big changes in how we obtain food and what we eat. This year we had a friend raise us a pig so we can get organic pork at ~$2.00 a pound as opposed to ~$5.00-$7.00 a pound. The pig should be processed early next month. We also get organic turkey, chicken and rabbit meat from local growers. Next year we will be looking to share a steer with another family. We also started making our own bread. We haven't bought a loaf of bread in a month. Instead we bought 25 pounds of flour at $4.25 compared to $3.00 or more for a loaf of bread. Each batch in our bread machine takes 3-4 cups and I figure 25 pounds will probably be good for almost 4-6 months worth of bread for our family. We will probably be making our own jams and jellies next year as well as preserving vegetables when they are in-season since the price is like 80% of what it is during the off-season and we can grow a lot in our own garden. We are also going to work on weening our children off of prepared sweets and back into the fold of homebaked goods.

I have always enjoyed cooking and rarely follow a recipe 100% as I always have to experiment. No two meals are the same in our house.

Hello and welcome to DC Wayne Luke. I believe we have met before... enjoy your stay!:cool:

Sounds like your family is going to be working together to do accomplish this task...and that is great in itself! Give them all a hug and good luck on your goals....of pure food. Glad you're here!

Welcome to DC, WayneLuke!!
I know what you mean about grocery prices, they are rediculous.
Hope you stay and enjoy the forum!! Envite your wife to join in also.

17.gif

Welcome to Your new home Here at Discuss Cooking. May you Love this place as much as we do. Coffee's on and the Topics are Tasty so Saddle Up for a Long Ride Wayne Luke and Greetings!:chef:

Back
Top Bottom