Still Alive!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
OK, a long time ago in a faraway galaxy...

I've always wanted to make a starter and get going. So about 5 (maybe 6?) years ago, I made a starter.... and that's as far as I got.

It sat at the back of the fridge and even moved with me to Waterdown. I finally said "give it up, girl. You ain't ever gonna make it!" Then while talking with someone who said she makes it admost every week and would bring me some. But try to revive what I've got.

It was like thick dried out peanut butter, but I measured/weighted/subtracted and added. It was so thick there is never any way a bubble could form in there (so I added a tablespoon more water... but I was wrong! I did 3 containers, a proper measure in the original. A second smaller with even more water. And the 3rd was what I was supposed to throw out but I just added a bunch of water and left it.

That was Fri night and Monday morning, I could smell yeast when I got up.
So there you go... Action in ALL 3!

I will throw out the 3rd. My friend brought me some of hers this morning. I certainly don't need 4 going unless I open a bakery.

Hers, of course, is pretty white (a bit of whole wheat in there) and mine are...
all the colour of Peanut Butter! LOL

So now I'm gonna try a variety of recipes. Wish me luck!

umm, yep?

Sorry, been reading so many articles, posts, threads, recipes - my brain just assumed y'all would know! :rolleyes: my bad. Well, at least I did post this thread under the Sourdough title! does that count?

Yes, talking about Sourdough starters and bread.

Have two loaves in the oven as I tippy-tap.
Used my friends starter for these first loaves. If they are success I will next do it with my Peanut Butter coloured starters.

Ive always been impressed and dumbfounded seeing restaurants and chefs that are using starter for as long as 200 years.
I guess if you use it every day its not that hard to feed it every day.
But now reading this maybe I don't have to do all the things they say you have to do?
Maybe I can get a good starter going then refrigerate and forget?

Normaly it is fed once a week. (discard half, addyour feed) But if, for example, you use it once a week, you would feed it each time then.

You could probably leave it for a month maybe even two. You would just have to remember to bring it out of the fridge the day before you want to use it to check it.

Most recipes for beginners can explain much better than I. (if you can get past all the blathering in between):rolleyes:

so here are before and after

But I got a little carried away with my kneading and as a result the crumb is ver compact and dense. But the taste is delish and I don't really mind the crumb, it reminds me of a rye bread.

Attachments

• 20220719_123807.jpg
    20220719_123807.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220719_172908.jpg
    20220719_172908.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 10
rollbones, I should have mentioned that if you are starting your own, from scratch, you will have to feed it that first week, daily. After that it is just once a week when in use and then... whenever.

rollbones, I should have mentioned that if you are starting your own, from scratch, you will have to feed it that first week, daily. After that it is just once a week when in use and then... whenever.

Thanks. I made a starter during the pandemic when no yeast and some breads were limited in stores.
Daily feeding and discarding as directed by King Arthur's. Actually I made 2 as I was keeping it in the oven and forgot one day and turned the oven on.
My friend gave me some of her starter and it was very lively. I asked how old it was and she told me 3 months. In the fridge.

So I can freeze it and not kill it? I can get yeast now, but I love the sourdough flavor.

You can absolutely freeze your starter. Freeze or dry it. Ideally you should do both as back up.

I only know that you can freeze it. I've never done it.

Can't you just tuck it at the back of the fridge? You don't need to feed it every week. It just might need an extra day to revive it when you do want to bake.

Sara

What do you do to freeze it?

What do you do to dry it?

Last edited:
I've had a starter mold in the fridge. I wouldn't just put my whole container in there and forget about it. Too risky.

To freeze, just put some in a small container and pop into the freezer. Easy-peasy-cream cheesey!

To dry it, just put a thin amount on parchment or wax paper and let dry. Flake into a zip lock bag and put into a drawer or cabinet.

I never put my eggs all in one basket. I keep 2 starters in the freezer and some dried.

I've had a starter mold in the fridge. I wouldn't just put my whole container in there and forget about it. Too risky.

To freeze, just put some in a small container and pop into the freezer. Easy-peasy-cream cheesey!

To dry it, just put a thin amount on parchment or wax paper and let dry. Flake into a zip lock bag and put into a drawer or cabinet.

I never put my eggs all in one basket. I keep 2 starters in the freezer and some dried.

Thanks Sara. I appreciate your advice. I am going to try it.
Do you make your starter in the winter or summer? I was making mine in the dead of winter and my kitchen was quite cool. I love that part about winter, but I'm not so sure the starter did. One reason my starter was in the oven. But I did not see it and turned it on by mistake one day.
I like the idea of having two starters. So, do you feed it first to be certain its still alive before using it?

Also. Flour. AP - Rye or Whole Wheat?

I bought one starter and got another from a neighbor. My homemade starters never were very good.

Mostly I use them hungry, I think the flavor is better that way.

Back
Top Bottom