Still Alive!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't want to start a new thread so I will ask here.

I started a starter on Weds. 50/50 water and sprouted wheat flour. Saw a couple bubbles yesterday (Thurs). So I discarded 1/2 and fed same amount.
Today Fri it has doubled!
This process is supposed to take about 7 days. I am already doubling the starter overnight. Is there an issue? Smells nice.
I assume I should keep up the discard and feeding for 4 more days or is it ready now?
I was very surprised to see it grow this fast.
It is warmer in the kitchen. Warmer than when I made my first starter last winter.
Thanks in advance. John

If you want to slow down the feeding - put it in the fridge, so now you would only have to feed once a week. and/or when you want to use it.

If you want to slow down the feeding - put it in the fridge, so now you would only have to feed once a week. and/or when you want to use it.

My concern is how fast it has doubled. In 3 days it has doubled with 1 feeding. I saw it this morning and started it last Weds.
Is it ready in 3 days?
If its ready I guess I could make sourdough pancakes with the discard today?

I plan to refrigerate it, but not until I am certain I have a good starter.
I am also thinking about freezing as we have discussed this and I don't use starter that often. But I might use it more often now.

Last time I made a starter it took more than 7 days. But it was cold then. Is it possible the sprouted wheat flour may have moved this along faster?
Thanks

Last edited:
My concern is how fast it has doubled. In 3 days it has doubled with 1 feeding. I saw it this morning and started it last Weds.
Is it ready in 3 days?
If its ready I guess I could make sourdough pancakes with the discard today?

I plan to refrigerate it, but not until I am certain I have a good starter.
I am also thinking about freezing as we have discussed this and I don't use starter that often. But I might use it more often now.

Last time I made a starter it took more than 7 days. But it was cold then. Is it possible the sprouted wheat flour may have moved this along faster?
Thanks

What kind of flour did you use last time? Is this sprouted wholewheat flour organic? I have heard that organic, whole grain flours work better for sourdough starter.

Its King Arthur sprouted whole wheat flour. It does not say organic on the bag. I just looked again and the 1 quart mason jar is 3/4 full. It was 1/2 full this morning. 3 days!
I am going to feed again like I did yesterday but use plain unbleached white flour.
The only reason I used the sprouted wheat flour was I had half a bag and have had it for quite some time. I figured this would be a good way to use it up.
I could feed with it once more?

Oh...I used unbleached plain white flour last winter. KA brand.

Oops, I was in a rush and misread your post.

yeah, I would keep on discarding and feeding a couple of more times. But as to using which flour... I don't know but personally would probably go with the white for now.

Your flour likely is carrying extra yeastie beasties that are causing this to happen.it would slow down if you moved to a mix of wheat and white flour or all white flour.

I think you could make pancakes with the discard. The longer you do the feed-rise-discard cycle, the more flavor it will develop, but I'm sure it has enough now to taste good. Also, unless you keep your house temp in the 60s, I think it's likely that the heat is affecting its high activity.

Last edited:
update on the "old - very old" starter

I chucked it. Didn't make anything with it. Although it became active again, I was not happy with either the colour, smell nor viscosity. It wasn't a 'bad' smell, just not a 'right' smell.

So my first attempt with my friends starter as mentioned. Very heavy, good flavour though, we enjoyed it.

My second attempt (yesterday) had trouble not rising as it shoudl but it is very cool in my area. For the last rise I had it outside (shade) but much warmer than my area. Baked in my toaster oven (no water other than initial misting with a spritzer as it went in). First loaf, meh... not pretty but certainly a lot of flavour! More airy this time but I'm still not quite there.
Gave the 2nd loaf to my son (baked after, there is only room for one in the toaster oven, :angel:) but they left for the cottage this am so I have no idea what it is/was like.

Okay. Day 4.
Fed with 50/50 water and white unbleached flour yesterday and it has calmed way down as of this morning.
It is bubbly but not expanding nearly as much. I agree it must have been the sprouted wheat flour. So I will continue discarding and feeding.

Now once I get the starter done and I am satisfied it is ready, I will then use 1 cup for a recipe I'm going to make. I don't have the recipe yet. But maybe rolls first try?

Once I remove that cup from the jar for use, I assume I will feed the remaining and put it directly into the fridge or should I let that feeding grow before putting in the fridge?
I will also want to freeze some. Should I freeze in small containers and then I can take one out, feed it then use it? Repeat for other dishes down the road.
I expect to have 1 cup left after I use it. Should I grow that bigger so I have more to freeze? Maybe have a few small cups frozen ready to feed and proof again?

Thanks all. John

Now that I switched to AP flour it has slowed to a crawl. Also I forgot and used tap water instead of bottled water. I hope I did not kill it.
I see some bubbles but little rising.
Should I go to whole wheat flour? I used up all the sprouted wheat flour.

While I lived in the city, many moons ago, my friend and I used tap water. Highly doctored by the city! You could smell the chlorine. Bottled water was unheard of and scandulously used only by the rich and famous.

slower or faster, I would stick with which ever flour you intend to use in the future.

Its not rising at all it seems. Bubbles yes, no rise though.
I have only used unbleached AP flour since day 2. I have some concern about ratio to water.
I saw on Serious Eats the recipe/directions were 50/50 water to flour. I picked that as a thinner starter is much easier to discard and feed. I can pour the 50/50 mixture. 75/25 is like peanut butter and very hard to work with.
Yesterday I used a bit more flour and it was much thicker. Today no rise at all.
I have only wheat and AP flour.
Since every direction to make starter, says every starter is different and can take up to 2 weeks I'm just gonna keep discarding and feeding until I get it right.
I have considered starting over with whole wheat flour. But I would be wasting way to much flour this way. But I will start over if I need to.

So should I continue to use AP or go the wheat? Or start over? Also I'm using distilled water. Any issue using this water. I cannot think of anything.

Admin. Should I start a new thread so more folks are involved? Or can you make it a new thread?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom