Storing Ginger?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
I have some fresh ginger and need to know how to store it. I think that I read once to put it in Dry Sherry and it will keep a long time. Anyone know anything about this, or alternatives?

Well, I currently have some "stored" in vodka with lemongrass--but that's because I'm infusing the vodka. I usually store it in the freezer in wrapped in foil and then in a ziplock bag. I read somewhere to wrap it in foil. I used to just toss it in a ziplock bag and then the freezer. Mostly I use the frozen ginger grated. The infused vodka has strips of peeled ginger in it.

Last edited:
I keep peeled chunks of ginger in dry sherry in the fridge. Lasts forever. You have the added benefit of ginger flavored dry sherry to use in Asian recipes that call for rice wine.

I have also frozen peeled chunks of ginger and grated it on a microplane.

I prefer the sherry method.

i have ginger in sherry on the shelf. This hand is well over a year old and still tastes great.

We need to replenish our sherry and ginger supply! Afraid the combo will disappear quickly, and not for cooking purposes! Hence, the freezing of the ginger.

I grate it on plastic and roll it into a log. Put it in the freezer for a short time then cut it into serving size pices and put it in a ziplock back in the frezzer.

I wrap mine in a paper towel and put it in a vacuum seal bag in the freezer.

where's monsieur fraile when you need him (bolas).

i can see him saying "store ginger? why i'd like to date her".

i'd say it, but i couldn't pull it off.

not unless we'!re talking gilligan's island.

where's monsieur fraile when you need him (bolas).

i can see him saying "store ginger? why i'd like to date her".

i'd say it, but i couldn't pull it off.

not unless we'!re talking gilligan's island.
I dated her sister Doris Galangal for a while, she had hollow legs.

I keep some in the freezer, whole and not peeled. I grate it with a microplane while it is frozen--the peel is grated so fine that it disappears.

I also have some in sherry. I don't use that ginger, just the sherry.

Boil vinegar with 'some' salt and a sugar - and pour over thin sliced ginger.

Keep in fridge (seems to last until you finsih it :) ) - the vinegar taste will work with almost anything you use the ginger for.

(btw - the mixture will turn a light pink usually)

Dry sherry method for me...keeps FOREVER (well, close to it) simply sitting on a shelf in my kitchen.

(Hi everyone...so good to see faces from the past.)

Reactions: GB
wow, elfie!!!! :flowers:

hurry, everyone, shut off the lights and crounch down to cut off all of the low exits!!! she's quick, so watch it.

:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom