Strawberry Citrus Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
I was thinking about my favorite salad at work. We call it the Cassatt. It is baby spinach with strawberries, apples, goat cheese, and candied pecans. It is served with a champagne vinaigrette, but I'm not a huge fan, so I dress it with a mix of orange, lemon, and lime juice. Then I read Andy's Key Lime Pie recipe and inspiration struck. I give you Strawberry Citrus pie with Goat Cheese Whipped Cream and Candied Pecans:

Pie
1 roll phyllo dough
oil or melted butter (a couple tablespoons)
2 egg whites
splash lime juice
powdered sugar
lemon juice
Juice of 2 limes
juice of 3 oranges (smallish)
zest of 2 oranges (smallish)
6 egg yolks
2 14oz cans sweetened condensed milk
1 lb strawberries, washed, hulled, and chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix 2 egg whites with a generous splash of water and 2 teaspoons powdered sugar. Follow directions on phyllo dough package to use oil/butter to make 2 pie crusts or 24 mini shells in muffin tins. (I did one pie and 12 minis.) For last 2 layers substitute egg wash for oil. Blind bake until just golden. Can substitute ready-made shells.
While shells are baking, mix orange and lime juice and add enough lemon juice to total 1 cup. (exact amounts aren't necessary). If lime and orange juice total a cup already, add a couple splashes of lemon juice and only use 1 cup of mixture. Mix 1 cup juice mixture with zest, yolks, and condensed milk. Once shells are done, divide berries between shells. You should have a nearly solid layer across the bottom of each shell. Pour the citrus-milk mixture into shells over strawberries. Bake at 350 degrees until set. Let cool to room temp, then chill in refrigerator.

Goat cheese whipped cream:
1/2 pint heavy cream divided
2 oz goat cheese
Powdered sugar

In a small bowl, add a tablespoon of cream to goat cheese and mix until smooth. Sweeten with powdered sugar to taste. The pie is quite sweet, so sweeten conservatively. In a separate bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form, sweetening to taste with powdered sugar as you go. Again, sweeten conservatively. (Don't taste while mixer is running if you're using one, of course. Turn the power off and wait until it stops moving before you stick your finger in. Just thought I'd add to cover my butt.) When soft peaks form, add goat cheese mixture and whisk until thoroughly mixed.

When pie is chilled, top with goat cheese whipped cream and candied pecans.

I tried one of the minis at room temperature with the toppings and I'm in love! Now they're chilling and I can't wait to try them! My only concern is that the strawberries may ooze more liquid and mess up the consistency while it chills. It was fine at room temp, but I don't know what will happen in the fridge. I'll try to post tomorrow with an update. The recipe can be halved, of course. You would just have to eat half of 1 orange and figure out what to do with the leftover phyllo dough. :chef:

@ Sprout: Cassatta in Sicilia is Ricotta Icecream Cake

Good Morning Sprout,

This sounds phenomenal ! I love the flavour combination profile: Lime, Goat Cheese & Strawberries.

Cassatta in Sicilia is an icecream cake made with Ricotta, icecream, candied fruits and chocolate chips or chocolate shavings.

Please do ask Princess Fiona to correct the mis-spelling of Cassatta, as your typing error was Cassatt.

I am going to put this on my next baking project. I need to pick up the ingredients next week. I would like to use a Spanish Goat Cheese from Catalonia ( Barcelona Province ) or The French Montrachet ...

:chef: Would you have a foto of the tart ?

Thanks, have nice Sunday.
Margi.

@ Sprout,

LEFTOVER PHYLLO: I would make some traditional Greek Feta Cheese & Spinach Spanakopita pastries or Baklava ...

However, Phyllo is very very versatile, can go savoury or sweet; and one can fill with a "Caprese" stuffing: tomato, buffala di mozzarella & fresh basil or air dried or Virginia ham & a cheese of choosing; or fruit fillings with Goat Cheese or Ricotta ...

It all depends on how much you have left over too ...

Margi.

Last edited:
Cassatta in Sicilia is an icecream cake made with Ricotta, icecream, candied fruits and chocolate chips or chocolate shavings.

Please do ask Princess Fiona to correct the mis-spelling of Cassatta, as your typing error was Cassatt.

I appreciate the information, but I was actually referring to a salad we have at work that is named after the artist. Cassatta sounds delicious, though! :)

Unfortunately, I do not have a picture. We moved a few months ago and lost our camera in the move.

Update: The filling held together perfectly. We ate the minis last night after they had chilled and they were excellent. We ate the full-sized tonight and the bottom of the shell was soggy. :(
When I blind baked the shell, I didn't weight it. I had baked mini shells before and they were fine without being weighted and I was worried about beans sticking to the egg wash. The pastry puffed up and I had to press it down after it cooked. This put cracks in the layers that had the egg wash.

Any input? Do you think it was the cracks? Or having the juicy strawberries in the bottom? Or does this type of dessert just need to be eaten the same day? Can I use pie weights or dry beans even if I use an egg wash?

Sprout,

Could have been the strawberries or the citrus juices ... Perhaps, it would be better to try a regular pie crust ( a standard pie crust for apple pie for example ) for this recipe ---

Kind regards and thanks for reply.
Margi.

Last edited:
As a regular pie crust can get soggy with a juicy filling, that isn't the answer. Teh egg-wash wasn't able to maintain its integrity to seal the dough against the moisture. As egg sets at about 170 degrees, you might try bliind baking the crust, pressing it down, and then brushing with egg wash, and blind baking at a lower temperature, just enough to set the egg. Also, have you ever had milk dry onto a surface? Notice that it forms a hard film, like varnish. Adding milk to your egg instead of water, to make the egg wash, might help. It's worth a try. Sheets of puff pastry might work instead of phyllo dough, too. Just play with it. You'll come up with the answer. If everything else fails, you might pick the brains of a pastry chef.:D

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

As a regular pie crust can get soggy with a juicy filling, that isn't the answer. Teh egg-wash wasn't able to maintain its integrity to seal the dough against the moisture. As egg sets at about 170 degrees, you might try bliind baking the crust, pressing it down, and then brushing with egg wash, and blind baking at a lower temperature, just enough to set the egg. Also, have you ever had milk dry onto a surface? Notice that it forms a hard film, like varnish. Adding milk to your egg instead of water, to make the egg wash, might help. It's worth a try. Sheets of puff pastry might work instead of phyllo dough, too. Just play with it. You'll come up with the answer. If everything else fails, you might pick the brains of a pastry chef.:D

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Brains in place of egg wash...never thought of that!

<duck and run>

"Also, have you ever had milk dry onto a surface? Notice that it forms a hard film, like varnish. Adding milk to your egg instead of water, to make the egg wash, might help"...

I'm breaking out the snowball throwing machine right now. I've reconfigured it to launch water balloons.

I'll make it easy for you. I'll only use brightly colored virtual balloons.:LOL:
All right! A game of catch!:)

Now we're supposed to Varnish our Pastry Crusts too. :ohmy:

This thread just flipped to a new page and I thought I knew what the topic was about ? I had to look back to make sure:rolleyes:

All I wanted to do is let Sprout know I copied and pasted the recipe and am going to try it out for an occasion soon. Now, I suppose I need to make it with a Graham Cracker Crust. A Pre- Made Store Bought One At that, to ensure it is Impervious To Moisture and is Rock Solid Cement Hard!! And that will change the recipe's profile.

Now see what you guys did---:ermm::LOL::ROFLMAO:

PS For further reading, here is A Brief History of Milkpaint. I don't think it's used in cooking, or in this context. I think I'll go back and just stick to the dessert now. Bye.

A brief history of milk paint

Last edited:
Mousse of Montrachet, Lime Zest & Strawberries

Sprout,

I had prepared the Phyllo early this morning that I had in freezer. I made a Ricotta type texture mousse with strawberries minced and added Lime Zest. I put a drop of sugar in the Montrachet Goat Cheese --- to sweeten the profile a tiny bit ... ( the strawberries were put into a sieve too as well as the cheese )

Then, egg washed the sheets of the Phyllo with a brush ... and Baked !

:yum: since this flavor profile is lovely, not too sweet --- they came out lovely. I followed the rest of your recipe ---

Maybe the zest is a good choice as the juice is a possible reason, for all the wetness besides the incorrect egg wash brushing.

*** I am not expert at baking, however, I can handle a good recipe after cooking and baking all these years.

Kind regards,
Margi.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom