Stupid question about Stuffed peppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Several decades ago I used to make stuffed peppers, until I realized that I really didn't like the green peppers. I haven't made them since then. I love the idea of stuffing ripe bell peppers. I think that will be getting made here soon.

I felt the same as you Taxi, and I quit making them. I think it was here that turned me on to the red ones sometime ago, and I need to make more soon.
I bet you'll be happy you did.;)

I felt the same as you Taxi, and I quit making them. I think it was here that turned me on to the red ones sometime ago, and I need to make more soon.
I bet you'll be happy you did.;)
Definitely going to try it, probably with red, yellow, and orange, even the purple/brown ones, if I find them at the health food store. That way we will know if some colours are better tasting than others.

Last edited:
I guess I'm the odd person out here because I LOVE stuffed green bells. :LOL: Sometimes I'm in the mood for a green one. I just bought a red one today though for making a stuffed pepper in the next couple of days. :yum:

Prior to posting this thread I had already bought 4 green peppers to stuff. ( that's when my wife asked, why not stuff a red pepper?)

Anyway, they all went. it was kind of a stuff it with whatever i had left in the fridge.

Better the next day, cause the stuffing mixture absorbed more of the pepper flavor.

If I use green peppers for stuffing they are pablanos. Rellenos don't have to be battered and fried, just go naked!;) You could use a vege version of picadillo. The filling used in cabbage rolls would work well. So would dirty rice. Try subbing portobello mushrooms for the beef.

If I use green peppers for stuffing they are pablanos. Rellenos don't have to be battered and fried, just go naked!;) You could use a vege version of picadillo. The filling used in cabbage rolls would work well. So would dirty rice. Try subbing portobello mushrooms for the beef.

I have always wanted to learn how to make "Chili's Poblamo's". Like in Mexican restaurants. With the cheese inside, egg battered and covered in red sauce.
I don't know what kind of cheese it is, and I'm not certain what they mean by "egg batter". I know how to make mole sauce, but its been ages.

How long do dried chili's last in the pantry. I was going through it and found two bags of dried chili's. Forget the names/types. One is mild and one is hot. Might be ancho? Not sure. They have been in there for at least two years.

I leave the chiles rellenos to the pros, but I think Rick Bayless and others would have some good recipes.

I keep my dried chiles almost forever. I still have some Thai hots I grew 20 years ago that are still potent.

Last edited:
I have always wanted to learn how to make "Chili's Poblamo's". Like in Mexican restaurants. With the cheese inside, egg battered and covered in red sauce.
I don't know what kind of cheese it is, and I'm not certain what they mean by "egg batter". I know how to make mole sauce, but its been ages.

How long do dried chili's last in the pantry. I was going through it and found two bags of dried chili's. Forget the names/types. One is mild and one is hot. Might be ancho? Not sure. They have been in there for at least two years.

This one sounds pretty good: Chiles Rellenos Recipe : Marcela Valladolid : Food Network

I use her tamale recipe and it works great, although I add corn kernels slightly whizzed in the food processor.

A restaurant near us used to make chiles rellenos with chicken and shrimp in the cheese stuffing, served with mole. Dang, it was good!

I've made this mole recipe before and it's great. Extra can be frozen.

Rick Bayless | Classic Red Mole

Great video, Kay. Boy, don't those look good! :yum: I've watched the cooks at my fave little mom and pop Mexican restaurant, they make them just like in the video. I love green chili sauce on them. Red is good too, though. :)

I've seen them hold the chilis by the stem, dust with flour, and tap off the excess on the side of the bowl.

I prefer stuffing red ones over bell peppers of other colors. I find red bell pepper sweeter and compliments or enhances the taste of the fillings used.

Back
Top Bottom