Substituting stevia for sugar in baked goods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I'm sensitive to sugar and want to try replacing it with powdered stevia in my baking recipes. I have the Whole Foods 365 brand which is just plain powdered stevia with nothing added. I read on a website that 1 cup of sugar is equivalent to 1 tsp of powdered stevia. Has anyone tried this substitution? Is there another ratio that has worked well?

Stevia will still leave you craving calories like any artificial sweetener. Stevia doesn't make syrups so it won't act like a sugar in recipes. Corn syrup, honey, maple is out of the question?

Stevia will still leave you craving calories like any artificial sweetener. Stevia doesn't make syrups so it won't act like a sugar in recipes. Corn syrup, honey, maple is out of the question?

Refined sugar has the same effect as artificial.

Stevia does come in liquid form; I've seen it but have never tried it.

Interesting tidbit: At least 80% of the packaged food-like stuff sold in grocery stores has sugar added to it in at least one form (and often times more than one!).

Raw honey would also work.

I won't use artificial sweeteners. Not only because they have an awful after-taste to me but there may be some health concerns about long term use.

But if want to bake desserts without sugar here are some recipes: I haven't tried any of them because I do use white sugar.

Sugar-Free Dessert Recipes - Allrecipes.com

But your decision to use Stevia is your prerogative and I hope others can help you with that.

I won't use artificial sweeteners. Not only because they have an awful after-taste to me but there may be some health concerns about long term use.

But if want to bake desserts without sugar here are some recipes: I haven't tried any of them because I do use white sugar.

Sugar-Free Dessert Recipes - Allrecipes.com

But your decision to use Stevia is your prerogative and I hope others can help you with that.

Thanks for the resource. Stevia is very different from manmade artificial sweeteners. It is an herb an has numerous health benefits. There are many articles online about it.

Thanks for the resource. Stevia is very different from manmade artificial sweeteners. It is an herb an has numerous health benefits. There are many articles online about it.

I understand what Stevia is made from. I've tried it and it still has an awful aftertaste to me. I've read articles online about Stevia and depending on who or what agency was writing about it there's a lot of confusion.

Herbs are not always safe.

As I said---- please use what you deem safe.

What the heck are we all going to do when they convince us that breathing air is a serious health risk? Just saying.:ermm:

Severe-smog-and-air-pollu-010.jpg

Beijing, China. Just sayin'.

Stevia will still leave you craving calories like any artificial sweetener. Stevia doesn't make syrups so it won't act like a sugar in recipes. Corn syr up, honey, maple is out of the question?

Interesting discussion on the radio yesterday. An American scientist called Swithers did some research that suggests that Artificial sweeteners appear to disturb the body's ability to count calories and, as a result, diet foods and drinks may wind up encouraging weight gain rather than weight loss

Apparently she's getting a lot of stick from the artificial sweetener manufacturers are up in arms abot her

Interesting discussion on the radio yesterday. An American scientist called Swithers did some research that suggests that Artificial sweeteners appear to disturb the body's ability to count calories and, as a result, diet foods and drinks may wind up encouraging weight gain rather than weight loss

Apparently she's getting a lot of stick from the artificial sweetener manufacturers are up in arms abot her

I wouldn't doubt Swither's findings, even if all she studied were rats. But the reason I don't use artificial sweetener is simple: they taste awful to me.

ALL kinds of artificial sweeteners.

There are reliable sources and there are unreliable sources. Anyone can post whatever they want online, whether it's validated or not. So be careful which sources you choose to believe. Personally, I don't give credence to sites that don't provide scientific citations for their claims or that want to sell me something.

If you want to, or need to, get away from sugar, forget all the artificial sweeteners and the natural sweeteners that leave a bad taste in your mouth, either literally or figuratively, and switch to agave nectar. It is a natural sweetener, has no funny taste, no aftertaste, and it won't spike your blood sugar levels like sugar, honey, maple syrup, HFCS, etc. It's the same stuff they use to make tequila, so how can you go wrong?

" Agave syrup (also called agave nectar), often promoted as a healthy alternative to HFCS [high fructose corn syrup] (especially in diabetics), is very high in fructose, although there is some disagreement over how much fructose it contains. According to the USDA, the sugar in cooked agave is 87% fructose (due to breakdown of fructans — a starch-like polymer of fructose — in the plant when it is cooked) [6]. A wholesale supplier of agave syrup, however, lists the fructose as 70 — 75% of the total sugar in their syrup [13]. Either way, agave syrup is higher in fructose than any other natural sweetener (and any form of HFCS except HFCS 90). "

High Fructose Corn Syrup: Tasty Toxin or Slandered Sweetener? « Science-Based Medicine

(Harriet Hall, retired Air Force surgeon, is one of the editors of Science Based Medicine.)

"Agave nectar or syrup is as high as 90% concentrated fructose (a simple sugar that occurs naturally in fruit), and the rest glucose. But the agave you can buy ranges from 90% to as little as 55% fructose (similar to high-fructose corn syrup), depending on the processing, says Roger Clemens, professor at the University of Southern California and a spokesman for the Institute of Food Technologists."

The Truth About Agave

Also from Harriet Hall and Science Based Medicine about stevia:

"Is Stevia Safer?

Stevia comes from a plant, and the Guaraní Indians of South America have been using it to sweeten their yerba mate for centuries. The “natural fallacy” and the “ancient wisdom fallacy” sway many consumers, but for those of us who are critical thinkers, who want to avoid logical fallacies and look at the scientific evidence, what does science tell us?

Is stevia preferable to aspartame? We really don’t know. Concerns have been raised about possible adverse effects such as cancer and birth defects. Stevia is banned in most European countries and in Singapore and Hong Kong because their regulatory agencies felt that there was insufficient toxicological evidence to demonstrate its safety. The US banned its import in 1991 as a food additive, but the 1994 Diet Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) legalized its sale as a dietary supplement. Most of the safety concerns have been dismissed, but so have the concerns about aspartame. Arguably, the concerns about stevia are more valid than those about aspartame, because there is less evidence refuting them.

The plant extract is refined using ethanol, methanol, crystallization and separation technologies to separate the various glycoside molecules. The Coca-Cola Company sells it as Truvia. Pepsi sells it as PureVia. It is a product of major corporations and is prepared in a laboratory using “toxic” chemicals like methanol. For some reason that doesn’t bother those who are promoting stevia as a natural product."

Note: since that writing stevia is now allowed in most European countries.

Artificial Sweeteners: Is Aspartame Safe? « Science-Based Medicine
Harriet Hall is also a founding member and Fellow for Institute for Science in Medicine (ISM)

" Agave syrup (also called agave nectar), often promoted as a healthy alternative to HFCS [high fructose corn syrup] (especially in diabetics), is very high in fructose, although there is some disagreement over how much fructose it contains. According to the USDA, the sugar in cooked agave is 87% fructose (due to breakdown of fructans — a starch-like polymer of fructose — in the plant when it is cooked) [6]. A wholesale supplier of agave syrup, however, lists the fructose as 70 — 75% of the total sugar in their syrup [13]. Either way, agave syrup is higher in fructose than any other natural sweetener (and any form of HFCS except HFCS 90). "

High Fructose Corn Syrup: Tasty Toxin or Slandered Sweetener? « Science-Based Medicine

(Harriet Hall, retired Air Force surgeon, is one of the editors of Science Based Medicine.)

"Agave nectar or syrup is as high as 90% concentrated fructose (a simple sugar that occurs naturally in fruit), and the rest glucose. But the agave you can buy ranges from 90% to as little as 55% fructose (similar to high-fructose corn syrup), depending on the processing, says Roger Clemens, professor at the University of Southern California and a spokesman for the Institute of Food Technologists."

The Truth About Agave

Also from Harriet Hall and Science Based Medicine about stevia:

"Is Stevia Safer?

Stevia comes from a plant, and the Guaraní Indians of South America have been using it to sweeten their yerba mate for centuries. The “natural fallacy” and the “ancient wisdom fallacy” sway many consumers, but for those of us who are critical thinkers, who want to avoid logical fallacies and look at the scientific evidence, what does science tell us?

Is stevia preferable to aspartame? We really don’t know. Concerns have been raised about possible adverse effects such as cancer and birth defects. Stevia is banned in most European countries and in Singapore and Hong Kong because their regulatory agencies felt that there was insufficient toxicological evidence to demonstrate its safety. The US banned its import in 1991 as a food additive, but the 1994 Diet Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) legalized its sale as a dietary supplement. Most of the safety concerns have been dismissed, but so have the concerns about aspartame. Arguably, the concerns about stevia are more valid than those about aspartame, because there is less evidence refuting them.

The plant extract is refined using ethanol, methanol, crystallization and separation technologies to separate the various glycoside molecules. The Coca-Cola Company sells it as Truvia. Pepsi sells it as PureVia. It is a product of major corporations and is prepared in a laboratory using “toxic” chemicals like methanol. For some reason that doesn’t bother those who are promoting stevia as a natural product."

Note: since that writing stevia is now allowed in most European countries.

Artificial Sweeteners: Is Aspartame Safe? « Science-Based Medicine
Harriet Hall is also a founding member and Fellow for Institute for Science in Medicine (ISM)

Like, too ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom