Subway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kylie1969 said:
We too enjoy Subway!

It gives a healthier option in my opinion and I like how you can choose exactly what you would like to go in your rolls...also..the cookies they sell are to die for :yum:

I've only had the cookies once, and they were very good.

I live in a small (3500) Midwest town, and fast food is a McDs, a Subway and a Culvers. I very rarely frequent any of them ... fast food is what I do when I have to go to Florida to do family obligations, and after 3 days in the car, eating fast food, awhile there, then three days back, I never want any of it again.

That said, the last Florida trip made me discover that Dunkin Donuts (I think that's the chain) has pretty damned good croissants. This is the bane of my existence. I was introduced to truly great croissants at, of all places, the Pentagon bakery. I mean that literally, the Pentagon had a great bakery and their Friday morning special was croissants and they were to die for. I haven't had a good one since, but these are better than any others I've bought.

To me a burger's a burger. Yes, there are some that are really good, and some that are really bad. But .... it's still a burger.

A number of years ago (I'd say 3 or 4), towards the end of menopause, my sense of smell went off. I've recovered most of it, but the smell of rancid grease puts me off my food. Others might not even notice it. But when I had to eat fast food for an extended period of time .... I lost 10 lbs.

Next time we head to Florida (it's all a matter of time, my parents are 78 and 82 years old and both in poor health), I hopefully will have the time to hit the grocery store and fill a cooler with makings for good food. Of course, any time I do that, the weather turns to h in a handbasket, and all we want to is find a place to duck inside.

Its funny that the actual sandwiches at the stores never look like the ones in their TV ads.:ohmy: Last time I went to get a sub there, the vegis didn't look so fresh. I went elsewhere, never to return.

Its funny that the actual sandwiches at the stores never look like the ones in their TV ads.:ohmy: Last time I went to get a sub there, the vegis didn't look so fresh. I went elsewhere, never to return.

Most stores that I have been in had decent looking veggies. While I prefere to find a good local deli when I travel I know what to expect in Subway. The one close to where I am at now does good. Here are two sandwichs from the local place after I got them back to the room.

$5 foot long turkey breast by powerplantop, on Flickr

Subway Foot Long Roast Beef by powerplantop, on Flickr

I believe there are requirements that food shown in TV ads must be of the same content and amounts as real life.

That said, there's nothing saying the can't stack all the ingredients on the front half of the sandwich lightly stacked so there is no compacting of the ingredients so it shows as a fuller sandwich. No mention of the fact that the back half of the bread is empty.

My experience with the local Subway is that I always get full portion of ingredients. The sandwiches may not look just like the studio shots, but I'd as soon get it sooner than wait while the sub artiste meticulously arranges the green pepper to peek out just right. I make fun of their turkey everything, but at least the turkey fakery is well done, and they're very generous with meats. And the vegetables here are always pretty fresh. It's all sure better than something that's been sitting in its foil under hot lights and is not even approximately like the photos. And Subway has enough deals to be attractive.

It's not the real sub artistry of the local Austin area Thundercloud Subs,
logo.png

but of the big fast food operators, Subway seems the most wholesome.

My experience with the local Subway is that I always get full portion of ingredients. The sandwiches may not look just like the studio shots, but I'd as soon get it sooner than wait while the sub artiste meticulously arranges the green pepper to peek out just right...

Its funny that the actual sandwiches at the stores never look like the ones in their TV ads...

GLC, my intent was not to trash the sandwiches you get in the store. I was responding to Craig's comment, which is true for all fast food ads on TV.

Check out this video which explains how it's done. She does it with a burger but this will give you the idea.

Food Ad Tricks: Helping Kids Understand Food Ads on TV - YouTube

And she didn't get into the glycerin, the milk substitutes, the motor oil syrup, and the chemical sprays to induce steam.

(Motor oil really does look like pancake syrup, as the other fire department shift discovered when they kept stealing our syrup.)

Subway's great, and they're everywhere.
I usually get a Veggie Delite on wheat.
I always ask them to put red onion and` oregano on the sandwich before toasting it because it's better that way.

Last edited:
Cold cut Combo on any of the breads for me. Probably not the healthiest choice, but it is "fast food". Our small town doesn't have a lot of fast food choices, Subway or Burger King :(.

no mayonnaise said:
Subway's great, and they're everywhere.
I usually get a Veggie Delite on wheat.
I always ask them to put red onion and` oregano on the sandwich before toasting it because it's better that way.

I like your idea of putting things on the bread before toasting. Thinking of what veggies I might want toasted..........green peppers come to mind.

I don't care for the cold cuts at Subway, but my family likes them so when we go I get a tuna sub with lots of veggies. I like the prices too. A sub at a privately- owned sandwich shop around here can easily cost $7-8. Subway prices are half that.

The meat at Subway is not good, I prefer Jimmy John's. That being said, Subway is all we have here in Switzerland, and it's few and far between. I have it when I have an intense craving for something from home.

I believe there are requirements that food shown in TV ads must be of the same content and amounts as real life.

That said, there's nothing saying the can't stack all the ingredients on the front half of the sandwich lightly stacked so there is no compacting of the ingredients so it shows as a fuller sandwich. No mention of the fact that the back half of the bread is empty.

That's exactly what they do. It is all the same amount you receive when you buy it, just packed in differently. The food is also sprayed with water to make it look much fresher and perked up. You will never see them show just a plain burger. There is nothing they can do to enhance that up except to paint grill marks on it with Gravy Master. If you see grill marks on the edges of a burger, you can bet they were painted on. Who holds a burger on edge while grilling it? :angel:

No Subway's here in my town. We have privately owned sub shops on almost every corner. And the majority offer hot subs. Meatball, eggplant, sausage, egg and pepper, etc. Then you have your choice of American or Italian cold cut ones. Oil and vinegar on the cold ones with a shake or two of Italian spices. I always get an eggplant with extra sauce and grated cheese. My favorite veggie.

Over in the city of Everett, someone made the following observation to me one day. There is a sub shop on every corner and right next door or across the street is a hair salon. Sure enough, the last time I went through there, they were right. I am not sure what the connection may be, but it is interesting. :angel:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom