Sugar vs HFCS - The Experiment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A friend stopped sugar and dropped 30 lb in a year. This person didn't change anything else, just omitted foods with added sugar and adding sugar to his coffee, no soft drinks, no prepared juices (he made his own), no desserts. He didn't change anything else--exercise, other foods (except he didn't eat prepared foods or things like ketchup).

I just buy any old brand at the health food store. It comes blended and they have always been good. I think this is what we had. It might have been the last bags of a different brand.

If you add a bunch of honey, you can fool most kids into thinking it's cool-aid. A lot of kids don't want something "weird". :LOL:
OMG, I have a box of that in my cupboard that a friend gave me when she moved! I'm going to make some now.

Alix said:
Andy, I've been looking at labels with an eye to HFCS the last couple of weeks and I haven't found very much. Most of the things that use any kind of sweetener are good old sugar, or that freaking Nutri Sweet crap. Splenda makes the occasional appearance, as does sorbitol.

Could someone check something for me? Coke is sugar sweetened here. Someone told me it is HFCS in the US and Mexico. True?

I think Mexico uses cane sugar. Their coke tastes better than ours does.

Could someone check something for me? Coke is sugar sweetened here. Someone told me it is HFCS in the US and Mexico. True?
I tried to check if HFCS is used in Coke in Canada and according to Wikipedia it is. I'm pretty sure the Coke in Quebec has HFCS, 'cause it tastes like it does.

OMG, I have a box of that in my cupboard that a friend gave me when she moved! I'm going to make some now.
So that was why I got the urge to take a photo instead of just writing "Messmer-Tee" - so you would recognize it. :LOL:

It's good hot too.

I tried to check if HFCS is used in Coke in Canada and according to Wikipedia it is. I'm pretty sure the Coke in Quebec has HFCS, 'cause it tastes like it does.

I've checked every bottle and can before I buy (its my guilty pleasure) and its all sugar sweetened. All the stuff I checked was made in TO. Does QC have its own plant? I think Wikipedia is still volunteer submissions so it could be flawed info? I tasted some in the US and was grossed out. Can't remember what Mexico was like though.

Last edited:
US coke, hfcs unless it is made specially for passover. Mexico is mainly real sugar, but I've heard rumors that there is some, made with hfcs. In my experience with trips to Mexico, I've always found real sugar coke and Pepsi. Imported Mexican coke here is made with real sugar and the taste difference and mouth feel are quite noticeable.

A while back Pepsi was making what they called "throwback" sodas, made with sugar but as I recall they thought a lot of them sodas (meaning expensive). I don't see 'em too much these days.

In a way, I'm glad that the Coke in Quebec is made with HFCS. I used to drink 2-3 Cokes per year. I quit before we had heard anything bad about HFCS. It just didn't taste right.

I ran out of time this morning and was unable to post my glucometer reading

This morning my blood sugar was 124 after eating Little Smokies cooked in Bull's-Eye BBQ sauce, the one with sugar. Here is a pic of the glucometer...taken before coffee...

What a coinkydink - my blood sugar was 124 this morning also!:ohmy:

I recently did an internet search on HFCS and what I found was very disturbing - not so much for people with normal blood sugar metabolism, but for diabetics. Even though it is "sugar" the body of a diabetic processes it differently and what it can't use, it stores as fat in the liver, giving rise to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. This can lead to cirrhosis later in life. I am on a mission to remove HFCS from my diet. Just in the short time I've been watching, my blood sugars have been much better and maybe the A1c test will be better and I might dodge the insulin bullet this time. My doctor is giving me three months to improve my readings or we use insulin. Problem is, most type 2 people will be on insulin at some in their life - I'm hoping for later in mine.

Anyway, intersting experiment PF, keep up the good work.

I recently did an internet search on HFCS and what I found was very disturbing - not so much for people with normal blood sugar metabolism, but for diabetics.

I may be wrong but I'm not so sure people with normal blood sugar metabolism should also be concerned about consuming HFCS, or for that matter excessive sugar in any form. I think it's entirely possible for healthy people to develop insulin resistance by lifelong poor food choices.

Even if I'm wrong I'm sure that it's better for everybody including healthy people to avoid HFCS, and to err in not eating it is to err on the safe side.

I'm bothered about the possibility that all barbecue sauces will contain HFCS at some point (maybe already). I like this shortcut because I don't always want to make my own barbecue sauce, because of the time involved.

PrincessFiona60 said:
Did I mention I have a cardiology appointment in the morning...I almost forgot, I've been a bit busy lately. You think I could get away with butter??? Really?

She can smell butter I ate a week ago...evil woman, she's just evil...back to cardboard and water.:LOL:

Oh...I hope she didn't smell the cupcake!!!

You are a paragon of virtue and a Princess among women, er...ogres? ;)

Thanks so much for doing this. Not only did I learn that HFCS will increase your blood sugar readings, I also learned that you measure differently in the US. If I had a reading of 124 or 130 points I'd be DEAD. Our standard is 4-7 is heaven, up to 10 is still a friend.

Also, thanks to taxlady for telling me about Stirling's weight loss when he eliminated the sugar from his coffee. BIG deal that I will share with a coworker who is really struggling to lose a few pounds. Oh, and that's a favorite tea of mine! Did you know it can help bring your BP down (up to 17 points diastolic) if you drink 3 cups a day regularly?

I'm being a bit more conscious of my sugar intake the last week thanks to this thread. I suspect that will change tomorrow when we hit the holiday trail. LOL!!

We are measuring in mg/mL, not 4 mmol/L or 72 mg/dL. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

I'll be happier when I get a fasting of 110. But, with summer and heat and popsicles...

What a coinkydink - my blood sugar was 124 this morning also!:ohmy:

I recently did an internet search on HFCS and what I found was very disturbing - not so much for people with normal blood sugar metabolism, but for diabetics. Even though it is "sugar" the body of a diabetic processes it differently and what it can't use, it stores as fat in the liver, giving rise to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. This can lead to cirrhosis later in life. I am on a mission to remove HFCS from my diet. Just in the short time I've been watching, my blood sugars have been much better and maybe the A1c test will be better and I might dodge the insulin bullet this time. My doctor is giving me three months to improve my readings or we use insulin. Problem is, most type 2 people will be on insulin at some in their life - I'm hoping for later in mine.

Anyway, intersting experiment PF, keep up the good work.

Thank you Linda! And if you end up going to insulin, PM or e-mail me, I have an alternative that is not a first round therapy but should be if you can tolerate it and if your insurance will pay. Both Shrek and I have had excellent results. Just another thing to dodge the insulin bullet.

Oh...I hope she didn't smell the cupcake!!!

No, she didn't smell that or the butter...:LOL::ROFLMAO: But she did hear a new murmur and wants that checked. Have a couple of tests to be done to calm both of our minds. Have to wait a couple of weeks, though. But, she is happy with how things are going.

A good use for this thread, keeping all of us appraised of what still has sugar and what had recently changed to HFCS's.

Thanks, Chief!

"Balderson 5 year aged Cheddar... "

"Stop that, Chief!:glare:"
"Stop What?:angel:"
"You know What!"
"Ok, I'll be good (stupid conscience, always gettin' in the way:angry:)"
"I heard that."
"Yipe!:ohmy: Mneh, ain't I a stinker?:ROFLMAO:"

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom