Sugary Food For Thought

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While those other foods may contain more sugar. That doesn't speak to how many calories each has in comparison to the KKs.

Yikes

Luna bars are my go-to golf course snack!! Love em!

I was eating Luna Bars as my morning snack at work, they were so portable!

Then I started checking my blood sugar because I was feeling like it was going high. They were spiking me 100 over my normal reads when I had a piece of fruit and peanut butter.

They aren't comparing apples to apples.

A Starbucks Grande Latte is 16 oz. If it was all milk, it would have 5 grams of sugars. 17 grams of sugar means there are 3 teaspoons of sugar added to that Latte.

Both the Subway sandwich and the California Pizza Kitchen Thai Chicken Salad have to weigh a lot more than 1 Krispy Kreme Donut (52 gr on average). They also have a whole lot of healthy looking ingredients, full of vitamins and other nutrients. They will be much, much more filling.

I'll admit the vitamin water was quite a surprise.

They aren't comparing apples to apples.

A Starbucks Grande Latte is 16 oz. If it was all milk, it would have 5 grams of sugars. 17 grams of sugar means there are 3 teaspoons of sugar added to that Latte.

Both the Subway sandwich and the California Pizza Kitchen Thai Chicken Salad have to weigh a lot more than 1 Krispy Kreme Donut (52 gr on average). They also have a whole lot of healthy looking ingredients, full of vitamins and other nutrients. They will be much, much more filling.

I'll admit the vitamin water was quite a surprise.

Of course they're not comparing apples to apples. They're comparing single portions of different foods to donuts. It underlines the hidden dangers in foods that have the appearance of being healthful.

Of course they're not comparing apples to apples. They're comparing single portions of different foods to donuts. It underlines the hidden dangers in foods that have the appearance of being healthful.
Some of those servings really are not comparable. E.g., the Subway sandwich and the salad. If I am hungry enough to eat one of those, one Krispy Kreme doughnut isn't going to be enough. ;)

The cupcake, the Luna Bar, and the yogourt seem like a fair comparisons.

I'm all in favour of pointing out hidden dangers in foods, especially the ones that seem healthy. There is probably a lot of fat and salt in the Subway sandwich and the salad.

And that vitamin water - why does it have any sugar?

Some of those servings really are not comparable. E.g., the Subway sandwich and the salad. If I am hungry enough to eat one of those, one Krispy Kreme doughnut isn't going to be enough. ;)

The cupcake, the Luna Bar, and the yogourt seem like a fair comparisons.

I'm all in favour of pointing out hidden dangers in foods, especially the ones that seem healthy. There is probably a lot of fat and salt in the Subway sandwich and the salad.

And that vitamin water - why does it have any sugar?

So people will buy it.:rolleyes:

Krispy Kreme donuts are also about 1/2 the size of a regular donut. They are also a raised donut, so the dough is basically bread dough with some glaze on top. Not like a cake donut that is a sweet donut dough to begin with then often frosted or glazed. So in my opinion them choosing a raised glazed Krispy Kreme donut isn't surprising, because people think "OMG, a donut, that's like a million calories!" When a donut like this really isn't all that bad compared to a lot of other things. A Krispy Kreme donut only has 200 calories, so one donut isn't all that destructive. A cup of plain cooked white rice has a lot more calories, but I bet if you asked the random person on the street, they would say that the donut was higher.

Really? I'm not sure I understand. If they showed some "healthy" granola or muesli, that had lots of sugar, I think that would be exactly the point.

Exactly. The donuts are being compared to foods you don't expect to contain high amounts of sugar.

If I told you there was a lot of sugar in in a sugary coated cereal would you be surprised? No, of course not. But if I told you granola contained more sugar than a donut, it would be news. That's the point.

Exactly. The donuts are being compared to foods you don't expect to contain high amounts of sugar.

If I told you there was a lot of sugar in in a sugary coated cereal would you be surprised? No, of course not. But if I told you granola contained more sugar than a donut, it would be news. That's the point.

But they chose a relatively low sugar donut to begin with. Just cruisin' the Dunkin Donut website, you can see numbers like this

Apple crumb donut 490 calories and 49 grams of sugar

Blueberry Crumb 500 calories and 52 grams of sugar

butternut 520 calories and 47 grams of sugar

Now compare that to a Krispy Kreme that they are trying to create a "knee jerk" reaction to.

200 calories 10 grams of sugar.

It's not hard to find a ton of stuff with more sugar, heck these are glazed puffs of air.

Honestly I don't consider 10 grams a high amount of sugar

Last edited:
I run into this type of thing when I am looking at servings of foods containing carbs for my diabetic meal plans, 15 grams of carbs is considered one serving.

A nice fat everything bagel from DD, with a smear of cream cheese, is over four servings of carbs, about 70 grams!

A honey bran raisin muffin is 79 grams!

A French Cruller is 17 grams, a chocolate frosted cake donut is 40 grams, not so bad.

Just when you think you have it figured out they change the menu or the recipe!

It's like navigating a mine field!:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
Interesting information.

If I were counting sugars this would be of concern to me.

If I am not counting sugars it is of no concern to me.

So take the information in the spirit intended and don't worry about the apples to apples ... it is simply pointing out that there is a ton of hidden sugars in products people think are a perfectly healthy option.

This should make people aware of other hidden things like sodium and fat etc.

And as they showed - what you see is not always what you get. Most people will not look at that big salad or sandwich and think about sugar.

We - as consumers - have to take the responsibility to read the labels and menu nutrition tables and make choices based on that information.

And as someone else stated - things change so we also must double check our information periodically.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom