Suggest a small Deep Fryer and Taquito Warmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convenience Store

Assistant Cook
Hey guys, I just bought a convenience store that doesn't have any hot food in it and I could really use your help identifying the equipment that I need.

We want to have a deep fryer, pizza oven and hot dog roller.

I have a relative with a store and he uses the Winston Collectramatic. My partner wants to buy one of those, I can get a used one for somewhere under $2K, and I know it will serve my purpose, but what would u guys suggest? Ease of use is important, and we have hardly any room, so the smaller the better!

Also, are there any new ones that I should look into? It's way easier to get something that's new rather than hunting down used ones. If anyone has suggestions for great small and easy to use things like pizza ovens and hot dog warmers, please let me know. I appreciate all the help. Thank you!

Hey guys, I just bought a convenience store that doesn't have any hot food in it and I could really use your help identifying the equipment that I need.

We want to have a deep fryer, pizza oven and hot dog roller.

I have a relative with a store and he uses the Winston Collectramatic. My partner wants to buy one of those, I can get a used one for somewhere under $2K, and I know it will serve my purpose, but what would u guys suggest? Ease of use is important, and we have hardly any room, so the smaller the better!

Also, are there any new ones that I should look into? It's way easier to get something that's new rather than hunting down used ones. If anyone has suggestions for great small and easy to use things like pizza ovens and hot dog warmers, please let me know. I appreciate all the help. Thank you!

If it were me, I'd first check with the health department to find out what is permitted and how. Next a trip to a restaurant supply to find out what is available.

Also check fire codes. In most locations a fryer over a certain size will require a vent hood and a fire suppression system. These requirements are what keep me from installing a fryer when I had my C store.

7-11 sells a lot of "taquitos" and similar foods without a fryer.

Might be a stretch here.
Check around to see if any restaurants have gone out of business near you.

We've bought a real nice Hobart meat slicer in great condition for $100.00.
The Deli went out of business they just wanted to unload it and other things as well.

Just curious, but I've never seen a deep fryer in a convenience store. Microwave, maybe some sort of hotbox for keeping things warm, and maybe (although rarely) a hot dog roller, although most such places I'm familiar with seem to have the dogs already in a bun in a hotbox.

Most of the places I've been in are totally self-serve, and I can't imagine letting customers use a deep fryer, or handle hot dogs from a roller.

The 7-Eleven stores here have hot dog rollers with hot dogs, sausages and taquitos. They're not self-serve; the clerks serve them. They do have self-serve nachos and cheese sauce with toppings, and microwaves. No deep fryers.

Just curious, but I've never seen a deep fryer in a convenience store...
We didn't see one, but I'm pretty sure that Sheetz locations have one. The gas/food/snacks chain operates in just 6 states, but we have eaten food from them when eating is necessary and choices are limited - like the one conveniently located across the parking lot from the hotel you're staying at when you get into town late at night for a family funeral the next day, and you HAVE to eat but no other place is open. Been there, done that. No T-shirt, though. It was decent enough that we actually chose to stop at a different one for food as we traveled along. Same decent food there, too.

Thank you for the great replies, I see that there is a nice community here and I an inclined to stay and contribute. :)

You know, I had the same idea. My partner just mentioned it along with other things and I didn't even think twice about not needing a deep fryer. I think that his relative with a store has one, and makes "fresher" fried food, I think he even makes his on a daily basis. But I am completely with you guys, if it's good enough to 7-11, it's good enough for us... forget the deep fryer idea, lets just go with frozen food.

So shifting gears to the dog warmer... any input there? We found one that works and has a bun warmer, it looks fairly standard, gauranteed to work and is like $800, local. We can have that up and running now.. But any input? Is there a great model that I can buy on ebay that's known for being cheap and awesome? Anything new technology or standards that I should buy versus some used one that'll just do the job?

So any great name brands I should look for on ebay? That can go from hot dog rollers to pop corn machines.. Throw things at me.

Thank you for the links, I will thoroughly read everything given to me.

A lot of restaurant supply stores have used equipment that they bought from stores that closed. They clean them up and make any needed repairs. They sell for a lot less than a new piece would. Worth looking into. You know the equipment will work. They will even give you instructions on how to use and take care of them. :angel:

Yes, I know that I can get used equipment from any number of liquidators. I'm not asking how I can buy "any" hot dog roller, I know I can just buy a $100 one right now. I'm just asking if they are all the same, or if there's favorite ones or awesome ones I should be on the hunt for.

No brand names but when it comes to rollers.
Slick ones are easy to clean.
Rough ones will roll more types of products.

Food police note: Product should be cooked (up to safe temp) before serving.

I never considered there would be different rollers. I think I've heard of ones that advertise having slick rollers that are easy to clean. Can those really not heat up something like a Taquito though? I mean do you really have to go with rough rollers to accomplish anything, or can the slick ones pretty much handle it? I mean what can't the slick ones do?

Check out this link:

How To Promote Roller Grill & Pizza - Convenience Store Decisions

You can find a wide varity of roller grill foods example Roller Grill Foods - Hot dogs, Sausages, Taquitos | CS Products

Welcome to Roller Bites | Roller Bites

More good info (including saftey) here: http://upforgrabsfab.com/pdf/UFG-Roller-Grill-Program-2013V4web.pdf

You should find a local food suppler with the best program for you. You may find that food sellers will reimburse your equipment cost after buying X of there product.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom