Suggestions for Family Reunion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haroldathampton

Assistant Cook
I have a family reunion coming up and it is a potluck type of arrangements. I always seem to go for desserts to take. I am looking for some suggestions on something different and maybe a little challenging to take this year. I have to put it together the night before or early the morning of and serve it at around 4pm. Anyone up the the task of providing me the challenge?

I have a family reunion coming up and it is a potluck type of arrangements. I always seem to go for desserts to take. I am looking for some suggestions on something different and maybe a little challenging to take this year. I have to put it together the night before or early the morning of and serve it at around 4pm. Anyone up the the task of providing me the challenge?

Hi Harold. In my experience, potlucks without any structure can be pretty tricky.
I've seen them end up with way too many desserts, and not enough "food" if you know what I mean. For example, is the main dish being provided, and others are expected to bring the sides and desserts?

You could make a "basket out of a watermelon and fill it with fresh melon balls, blueberries, strawberries, and any other fresh fruit you can find. Usually goes over well.

The meats are provided and everyone brings a veggie/salad/side item and a case of drink. We are expecting approximately 50-60 ppl this year according to responses. I am leaning towards a 4-5 loaves of fresh breads and rolls. I love to bake bread and the smell just warms the house.

The meats are provided and everyone brings a veggie/salad/side item and a case of drink. We are expecting approximately 50-60 ppl this year according to responses. I am leaning towards a 4-5 loaves of fresh breads and rolls. I love to bake bread and the smell just warms the house.

are you accepting applications for family membership? i do so love good homemade breads....:)

I used to make beans for get togethers. The kind you soak and make from scratch. I left them in the CI Dutch oven for serving, plus it kept them warm for transport. Everyone thought that was pretty cool. A break from the usual tin foil cookware you often see at such events.

I used to make beans for get togethers. The kind you soak and make from scratch. I left them in the CI Dutch oven for serving, plus it kept them warm for transport. Everyone thought that was pretty cool. A break from the usual tin foil cookware you often see at such events.
Oh yes Pac, Harold could theme the get together, Blazing Saddles I'd be made up if I was invited to a bash like that.
Ps I don't mean I would put make up on, its UK slang for happy.................well maybe just a touch of blusher:ermm:

I like the combination of ideas here. I think I will do the fresh breads and a fruit arrangement around the breads. sounds good to me.

Here's a great fruit dip to add to your fruit:

I am not much on measurements:

Equal parts heavy duty mayonaise & sour cream
Marashino cherry juice
Honey
Fresh garlic
A touch of cayene pepper.

my family has a get together every year that is big enough to be called a sort of a reunion.

last year, i made a huge pot of manhattan clam chowder that everyone loved. soup makes a really good starter/appy at pot lucks that a lot of people overlook.
not a drop was left.
it would go really well with your fresh bread.:chef:

i'll post the recipe if anyone's interested.

my family has a get together every year that is big enough to be called a sort of a reunion.

last year, i made a huge pot of manhattan clam chowder that everyone loved. soup makes a really good starter/appy at pot lucks that a lot of people overlook.
not a drop was left.

that's it--now i seriously have to crash this party!!!:)

ok, will do. gotta get to a real computer to do so, not this star trek thing of a phone i have.

not a drop was left.

I would love the recipie!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom